Gay Marriage | Minnesota | News

Minnesota Rep: How Many Gays Does God Have to Create Before We Accept That He Wants Them Around?

Simon

Check out Representative Steve Simon's (DFL Hopkins/St. Louis Park) amazing speech which got a big round of applause yesterday in the hearings before a House panel on Minnesota's ban on same-sex marriage (which passed on a party line vote).

Asks Simon of the anti-gays in the room:

"Ask yourself, if it's true that sex orientation is innate, is God-given, then what does it mean to the moral force of your argument? To put it in the vernacular, what I would ask is, 'How many more people does God have to create before we ask ourselves whether or not God actually wants them around? How many gay people does God have to create before we ask ourselves whether the living of their lives the way they wish as long as they don't harm others is Godly, holy, happy, glorious. thing.' I've answered that for myself. I don't think everyone's answered that for themselves. I'm comfortable with a society and tradition that bends toward justice, fairness, wholeness, openness, compassion..."

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Applause! Applause! What a wonderful speech!

Posted by: Matt26 | May 3, 2011 9:27:24 AM

2. Wow. This has got to be one of the best arguments I've heard on the issue. Very well put. Thank you, Steve Simon. Run for Congress!

Posted by: Terry | May 3, 2011 9:35:07 AM

3. a guiding light in a very dark state. but unfortunately the rpuks won't get the message and will push ahead to stamp gay civil rights. wait till the archbishop sees this speech he will swear it is not what god wants.

Posted by: walter | May 3, 2011 9:43:30 AM

4. you had better WERK! :-)

nicely stated, for those out that that still think that "God"-beliefs have anything to do with legislature, but well stated.

and of course the vote was along party lines. of COURSE it was.

shame on the GOP.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 3, 2011 10:55:15 AM

5. The problem is that many homophobic people don't believe that homosexuality is God-given or innate, which means Steve Simon's speech is completely lost on the only people that need to hear it.

Posted by: Eric26 | May 3, 2011 11:00:11 AM

6. YES!! GO STEVE!! I happen to live in his area of Saint Louis Park, too. I swear this is NOT going to fly here in MN. I'm not being stupid or naive, I can feel the tide turning. Not that each individual state changing this or that constitution is the real battle. The real battle is in the FEDERAL courts. But it's still refreshing to hear his words; especially when I live in his area.

Posted by: AJ | May 3, 2011 11:01:45 AM

7. I cant believe God and the Devil are part of the US Constitution and part of this debate. Its silly to call superior powers to define whats right from wrong.

Posted by: Roberto | May 3, 2011 11:22:20 AM

8. I live in uptown AJ, and I know that in our area, this will not fly (if people vote..)

but up in central MN? St Cloud is a very racist/homophobic/bigoted area...

I am hopeful, but not naive. I would love for MN to be the first state that this goes to a vote that denies a statute like this.

Posted by: amaezm | May 3, 2011 11:46:43 AM

9. Eric is completely right. They think the whole gay thing... or "homosexual thing" as they put it - is a CHOICE.

This speech falls on deaf ears.

Posted by: Evan | May 3, 2011 12:25:17 PM

10. I grew up in MN. We all know that the more active and vocal contingencies typically win these kinds of battles, yet do not represent the majority of opinion.

This is the most sane and concise argument I think I've ever heard from a politician. Not all ears can be deaf to this logic. It's about time someone says what Mr. Simon said. Hopefully, at least some folks will take a moment to think about his words.

Bravo, Mr. Simon.

Posted by: Steve | May 3, 2011 1:26:02 PM

11. Just wonderful!!!! @ Evan, it may have fallen on deaf ears in that room but through the power of technology, his message will be spread worldwide. And who knows, it may change a couple of people's minds. I know I posted it to my facebook. We should all post it.

Posted by: matt | May 3, 2011 1:35:03 PM

12. I sent him an email to thank him, as I am one of his constituents. He sent back a reply about us being on the right side of history. Bravo, Steve!

Posted by: AJ | May 3, 2011 1:44:47 PM

13. What a wonderful, reasoned, compassionate, logical speech! This should be required reading or listening in every state legislature, in every classroom, even on the floor of the U.S. Congress. It is amazing that Minnesota once was considered one of the most progressive of states, so much so that the great liberal, Democratic senator, Hubert H. Humphrey, was sent time and again to represent Minnesota in the U.S. Senate. In a generation, MN has gone from the light into the dark netherworld of republican hate politics. The religious right will be the destruction of us all if we don't stop them everywhere and anywhere.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 3, 2011 2:57:33 PM

14. What a great speech and right on point. Thanks Rep. Simon for your thoughtful perspective. People in your district are lucky to have you represent them.

Posted by: Bill | May 3, 2011 4:33:40 PM

15. Lord forbid that anyone applaud him because the guy with the stick up his ass would get bent out of shape. This guy had it together right from the start. So direct, yet so refined. If he got through to at least one of the anti-gays, he's made a forward move.

Posted by: TyInTenn | May 3, 2011 8:45:46 PM

16. I'm glad he supports equality, but frankly, I don't see how it matters if its a choice or not. The bottom line to me is, it doesn't hurt anybody, doesn't hurt society, so therefore, the govt. need not discriminate.

Posted by: Gary | May 3, 2011 9:33:52 PM

17. I applaud him. He's a good guy. Too many politicians just are not. I don't see a problem with his argument, and it's far more articulate than ANYTHING you here coming out of too many other states like this where the legislators on our side STAY SILENT while it all goes down.

Way to stand up for what's up right, dude. Karma ought to do you well for this...even if u didn't win politically. This time. Yet.

Posted by: just_a_guy | May 3, 2011 10:34:12 PM

18. brilliant!!!! wonderful that just made me feel great something to neutralize the nasty hate videos i spent too much time watching today.

Posted by: mike | May 3, 2011 11:43:01 PM

19. You should all write to him @ steve.simon@house.mn and thank him for his support!

Posted by: samguy@att.net | May 4, 2011 1:03:05 AM

20. @ AJ- I was there on Monday when he spoke. The room had been quiet for the whole process up until he spoke. Collectively, and instinctualy, we applauded. Tomorrow night at 6pm room 200 is the ways and means committee meeting. if it passes there then it moves to the floor.

Posted by: Tim | May 4, 2011 3:49:40 AM

21. Friend me on Facebook if you want me to let you know how it goes tim salyers MN

Posted by: Tim | May 4, 2011 3:50:43 AM

22. I have to say Mr. Simon's speech is really touching at the same time true. But remember it's hard to argue with people who strongly believe otherwise. I'm sure they will have get back statements like "How can He say that God created them? God does not create immoral people" or "Gay is not God's work, it's of the devil's". Sometimes I think of gay people as disciples, being tortured by people because they speak of God's truth but others won't believe them. I really don't understand why they still don't believe that being gay is not a choice. This is quite old but states a simple fact "When did they have a decision to turn gay or straight?"

Posted by: AJ MacBean | May 4, 2011 9:00:28 PM

23. How many serial killers does God have to create...
    How many pedofiles...