Gabrielle Giffords

First Photos Of Gabrielle Giffords Released

253614_10150211167497194_96491952193_7164505_2079256_n
The photos of a smiling Giffords, taken in Houston a day before she underwent surgery to replace a piece of her skull on May 18, 2011, were posted on her Facebook page early this morning. One more of the Congresswoman with her mother, AFTER THE JUMP.

242050_10150211167597194_96491952193_7164508_7373813_o

Comments

1. Bless her heart. Brain injury is such a difficult road. I hope for her continued recovery.

Posted by: the milkman | Jun 12, 2011 9:15:19 AM

2. My heart seriously goes out to her. I hope that we get her back into Congress soon.

Posted by: brenda | Jun 12, 2011 10:23:00 AM

3. Astounding! I would say a "miracle"! This woman had a bullet go completely through her head! The face of courage... beauty... grace.

Posted by: Jim | Jun 12, 2011 10:56:39 AM

4. Wonderful life affirming happy pictures. A nice tonic in a world of almost relentlessly negative news.

Posted by: Den | Jun 12, 2011 11:46:09 AM

5. AMAZING!!!! I am so proud of her for surviving that tragic incident! This shows evil never triumphs! I am even prouder to know that one of the doctors who help her on her recovery is a Filipino! GO!

Posted by: j | Jun 12, 2011 12:06:28 PM

6. Man, what a survivor, and a wonderful LGBT ally. I agree with the posts above: a true beautiful woman, and this makes for the most wonderful piece of news I've seen in months.

Posted by: topher | Jun 12, 2011 12:11:42 PM

7. Someone has to be the jerk here and say what people aren't willing to say out loud, and take the heat: if Gabrielle Giffords and Daniel Hernandez speak at the Democratic Convention next year, and have a "viral video" moment, the Democrats will retake the White House in a cakewalk. These people are true heroes, people who really walk the walk for what Democrats (and public servants) are supposed to be.

Posted by: Dback | Jun 12, 2011 2:22:25 PM

8. @DBACK: I hope they will. Not for the drama it might create, but simply because, as you say, they are exactly what being a Democrat is all about. I have been a life-long Democrat through good and bad times and this photo of Rep. Giffords is the face of courage and a representation of the victory of good over evil.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 12, 2011 4:23:59 PM

9. I'm surprised Fox News has broken with the big scandal here -- Mrs. Giffords is not a real blonde! She's clearly been lying to her constituents and needs to resign.

(Since this is Towleroad, the home of raging lunatic commenters, I feel the need to underscore that that was a joke.)

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 12, 2011 5:26:57 PM

10. @Gregoire:

Only dense PC maniacs would interpret your comment about Giffords' hair color in a negative light. But the real question is this: Is Mitt Romney a natural brunette? From some close ups I've seen, his hair is probably as white as Bob Barker's.

Posted by: Hank | Jun 12, 2011 6:05:58 PM

11. the photo caption just blows me away-she's getting a piece of her skull replaced? just wow! Hope her road to recovery is a smooth and quick one!

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jun 12, 2011 6:48:08 PM

12. I wonder what are her feelings about gun laws now.

Not to mention her fabulous, all-paid, government health care which saved her life.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jun 12, 2011 7:17:14 PM

13. The true face of a survivor.

Sending you lots of love and well wishes.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jun 13, 2011 12:12:14 AM

14. I send her and her husband best wishes.

That said:

There are MANY people who are victims of violent crime in the U.S. who don't receive a fraction of the attention, or resources, Rep. Giffords is getting. We've had a huge violent crime wave going on in the U.S. since the 1960s-70s. 'Progressive' solutions have been tried [especially wide-spread social engineering dating from the 60s, 70s and 80s] and have failed miserably. There is no denying the most violent places in America [cities,urban areas] are ALL top-heavy with 'progressives' and 'progressive' politicians. 'Progressive' policies dating back now a half century or more, regarding anti-poverty campaigns, homelessness, violent crime reduction, lowering or preventing 'poor' woman and girls from having babies and repeating the cycle of poverty,ignorance and violence, etc., getting people with serious mental illnesses OFF the streets, and real help, DO NOT WORK.

'Solutions' from the right, likewise, fail.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 13, 2011 1:12:26 PM