David Letterman | Gay Parents | Neil Patrick Harris | News

BigGayDeal.com

Neil Patrick Harris Shows Off Calendar of His Twins: Video

Nphtwins

On The Late Show last night, Neil Patrick Harris showed off three photos of his twins Gideon and Harper which are part of a calendar he and David Burtka are putting together. The image above is their May photo (Cinco de Mayo). He also showed off March and April.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Nph Kevin Sessums also posts an interview with Harris in The Daily Beast in which he talks about the twins, hosting award shows, Stephen Sondheim, James Franco, vareity shows, and living his life openly.

Says Harris:

As far as my own coming out as a gay man, I just looked on it as an inevitability.  I am a relatively transparent person so once I fell in love with David and we were living together I wasn’t about to create a false construct and force us to live within it, which would make me claim to be someone I am not. I could not live a lie and would not ask him to live one. And I never looked on it as the big end-of-my-career moment. I did think there might be more of a negative backlash than there was so I was glad to see there was as much support -- and quite frankly, as much indifference -- as there was. The only negative reaction really was, “Who really gives a shit?”

Harris will be hosting the Tony Awards this Sunday night.

Check out the Late Show appearance, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. CUTE!!!! They strike me as terrific parents.

Posted by: Jackson | Jun 10, 2011 10:24:45 AM

2. LOL

BUT when the kids grow up the pics will be used to at least yell one time at their dads "how could u do that to me?!"

Posted by: Mstrozfckslv | Jun 10, 2011 10:40:16 AM

3. I am less interested in the photo than I am in what he said. It does seem to be true that his coming out has not damaged his career, although it remains to be seen how many roles he will get after his current series ends eventually. But Cynthia Nixon does not seem to have had any problems either since the end of "Sex and the City"--in fact, her career has thrived, both on Broadway and in film, since she came out.

It kind of makes you suspicious of the motives underlying the continuing reluctance of Hollywood stars to come out--the old cliche about it damaging their marketability seems to be being exposed as precisely that--and outmoded cliche.

And especially older actors, whose careers are either so secure at this point that they could not be hurt by coming out (as was the case with Elton John) or who are so far removed from their prime that "sexiness" no longer matters to their marketability, if it ever really did (Jodie Foster, Kevin Spacey).

It will be interesting to see whether the upcoming generation continues the tradition of closetedness--so far, unfortunately, it seems that they are (Jake Gyllenhall, James Franco, etc.)

Posted by: Rick | Jun 10, 2011 10:43:40 AM

4. One thing I can say is that we should all thank God for NPH and his husband for being so out front. I just beam with pride every time I see the guy or anything he does or says because we couldn't have asked for a better spokesperson - especially for the gay male community. So happy they now have the kids because they will make changes to their lives they would have never experienced. They aren't afraid to present the kids like so many celebrities are and that will ensure they are better able to deal with their parent's celebrity. I just can't say enough about the guy and so thankful we continue to see him and David publicly.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jun 10, 2011 10:50:48 AM

5. So what has become of David Burtka's *other* two children? Is there shared custody? NPH would be their stepfather yet they are never mentioned or included in any (photographed) family outings? Or has he abandoned them when he traded in his partner for the more attractive version (like so many fathers before him)?

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Jun 10, 2011 11:11:05 AM

6. the kids are really cute and i thought that nph handled the boorish letterman quite well. letterman's questions where questions he would never ask a straight couple.

Posted by: walter | Jun 10, 2011 12:12:57 PM

7. love these guys, but ... those photos share child abuse! the teenagers those kids will become are already cringing.

Posted by: mike | Jun 10, 2011 12:23:10 PM

8. It's Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera!

Posted by: BenB | Jun 10, 2011 1:12:41 PM

9. Babies are not dolls! They shoud not be exposed in the global mediatic shop window!

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Jun 10, 2011 1:39:48 PM

10. I think I might have to have part of my brain removed to get that Mexican picture out of my head. The kids look like they're having a blast. It's Frida Kahlo that's being abused. LOL

Posted by: romeo | Jun 10, 2011 1:53:11 PM

11. lighten on neil and david i think they are doing a great to show a loving family. much rather see this than that witch in fla who could have kids and killed her so she could be a party animal.

Posted by: walter | Jun 10, 2011 1:54:26 PM

12. Oh, well. As more of us marry and have children, this is going to be the result. The world just needs to get used to it.

Posted by: romeo | Jun 10, 2011 1:56:56 PM

13. My thoughts exactly Lola...where are David's other two kiddos? This isn't his first set of twins folks...

Posted by: sassyfra | Jun 10, 2011 2:46:09 PM

14. Wow. Who needs friends when you have judgmental people?

They who criticize them should have seen the full interview. It was a truly nice one. The pictures are to the calendar they make, and the pictures are so adorable and amusing.

I think NPH and David are good, proud parents who put gay parenting in a good . For me they are good, stable role models.

Posted by: TT | Jun 10, 2011 2:48:28 PM

15. @TT, unless you happen to be one of the first discarded set of children that Burtka had prior to getting together with NPH, and who are not never seen, never spoken of, and apparently never really contacted other than over the phone sometimes.

Merely being a gay dad doesn't make you a gay-parent role model -- you actually have to be a *good* parent as well.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Jun 10, 2011 3:21:54 PM

16. Just like any other parents, they take pictures of their children which will embarrass the hell out of them when they are older. I know my family photo albums are a goldmine.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Jun 10, 2011 3:38:58 PM

17. David's other kids have another parent who doesn't want them in the public eye. They want their privacy and don't want their kids labeled as "NPH's" kids also. There's a cost to being a child in the public eye and not everyone wants that. It's not because David doesn't love them, for goodness' sake. You don't even know the man. Jeez.

Posted by: wtf | Jun 10, 2011 4:36:17 PM

18. @NaughtyLola If you bothered to read some interviews in the last year you would have realized that Neil actually talked about the ‘other’ twins and what the situation is. The ex-boyfriend had already started the surrogacy process when they met. David helped him raise the kids for some years. David and Neil still visit them (there are even photos and videos on the net). So I really don’t know why you're trying to put them in a bad light.

Posted by: Anna | Jun 10, 2011 5:14:28 PM

19. @Anna:

"David helped him raise the kids for some years. David and Neil still visit them (there are even photos and videos on the net)."

Helped raise them for some years? They're still small, therefore "some years" is the majority of their lives since birth. In other words, he's their dad. I don't see much to celebrate there, and I certainly don't see those kids feeling too good in about five years when they're old enough to see their half-siblings being held up as the Second Coming.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Jun 10, 2011 7:21:31 PM

20. i wonder if the main reason people were accepting of NPH's coming out was becoz of doogie howser. he was like a little kid, aka a little brother, to everyone... who came out, and everyone just continued to love and embrace and accept. there was no sense of betrayal at all. compare to rosie coming out i remember when she used to swoon over tom cruise on her show, then turns out she's gay! probably same with hot hunks worshipped for their hotness - if they come out, people will be taken for a fool. not so with nph.

Posted by: ros9876 | Jun 10, 2011 9:57:16 PM

21. yeah babies are cute and everything but i'm not so sure that treating them like playthings and commercializing the results is really the best representation of gay parenting.

Posted by: el polacko | Jun 11, 2011 12:22:41 AM

22. @naughtylola - Not that it matters, but those kids are not David's biological children (and therefore he really has no legal right to them), he still sees them, and they are already older (old enough to understand what's going on). They're 10. So please stop being such a judgmental cu**.

Posted by: Jaden | Jun 11, 2011 1:45:16 AM

23. Neil has always seemed like such a nice, down-to-earth person to me. It sounds like he and his partner are terrific parents and I like to see and hear him gush over his babies!

Posted by: maria | Jun 11, 2011 2:30:21 PM

24. Very interesting topics here in your site mate. Can't wait to read more of your blogs. Just keep it coming.

Posted by: salient genf20 plus website | Jun 4, 2012 12:22:57 AM