Lady Gaga

Watch: Lady Gaga Performs 'Hair' Without Hair

Lady
Lady Gaga doffed her hair (ok, I'm pretty sure that's actually a bald cap she's wearing) and performed a bare bones version of her song "Hair" on the the UK's "Paul O'Grady Show" over the weekend. Watch her sing alongside a clover-colored wig perched on top of her piano, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. I wasn't aware this was a Lady Gaga fan blog.

:s

Posted by: Melvin | Jun 19, 2011 4:38:21 AM

2. Luckily, people are allowed to like her without your approval.

Posted by: Sgt.Sausagepants | Jun 19, 2011 5:07:40 AM

3. I love her best when she sits at the piano and sings and plays unaccompanied. To me it's where her talent really shines through.

Posted by: scott | Jun 19, 2011 6:16:36 AM

4. Fierce voice. Fierce dress. If you disagree, I hardly care.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 19, 2011 6:42:34 AM

5. @ SGT. SAUSAGEPANTS: Luckily, people are allowed to like when she farts.

Posted by: Doug | Jun 19, 2011 7:11:05 AM

6. Cliché

Posted by: yunin | Jun 19, 2011 7:40:59 AM

7. I'm not sure I understand the song. I don't know what it means to "live just as free as my hair." Hair . . . Isn't all that free. It's attached to your head when it's "your hair" and is stuck there, forced to do your bidding and is entirely under however much control you choose to put into it. It sounds like a power ballad for Freedom that doesn't make any sense.

All that said her performance was fantastic, the song- while not all that interesting- is still pleasant to listen to (especially the way she sang it accompanied by only her piano) and covering her piano with hair and serenading her wig was adorable.

So while I give a big 'ol thumbs down for the song itself I give two big thumbs up for the performance and Lady Gaga herself. She's a musician who is more than her music- which is a really good thing for her because that is her weakest area.

Posted by: AedanCRoberts | Jun 19, 2011 11:23:35 AM

8. she is talented, the schtick takes away from appreciating that fact

You can only wear a flaming monkey on your head so many times before it gets tired

Posted by: mstrozfckslv | Jun 19, 2011 12:20:06 PM

9. @ Scott: DITTO!

@AEDANCROBERTS:

yeah I think that you got the point and just didn't realize it. To me this is a comment on NOT being free and the way that we (esp. women in this society) identify with their hair.

It instantly reminded me the issues black women face today. (Google the documentary "good hair" if you don't know what I mean).

I also felt that her being bald wasn't so much a gimmick as a statement about being disassociated with what the hair represented.

Here the hair is objectified and that begs the questions; what is the hair without the woman and more importantly, what is a woman without the hair?

Posted by: stich | Jun 19, 2011 12:53:53 PM

10. AEDANCROBERTS Are you playing dumb? Because GaGa is hardly the first person to make the association between freedom and hair. See: Hair the musical...or even Willow Smith. It makes complete sense, don't be so literal about it.

Posted by: Thomas | Jun 19, 2011 12:54:14 PM

11. Stich nails it! People too often assume the most basic and obvious interpretation of Gaga's lyrics and message.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jun 19, 2011 1:45:22 PM

12. I honestly thought she was going to sing the song "Hair" from the musical "Hair." Can you tell I'm not a Lady Gag fan?

Posted by: huh? | Jun 19, 2011 2:13:26 PM

13. Exactly Stich.

Posted by: Malcolm | Jun 19, 2011 3:08:30 PM

14. I love Gaga but I have to say every song on this album sounds the same to me.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 19, 2011 4:42:12 PM

15. love it

Posted by: Real | Jun 19, 2011 6:21:15 PM

16. I disagree. The song is a simple statement on the constrictions many teens feel when their parents don't allow them to dress and do their hair the way they want.

I dyed my hair endlessly in my teens, and for five years my parents wouldn't take pictures of me, even in family shots. (And when I pierced my ears, wouldn't talk to me.) At that age there's a huge amount of (displaced) "individuality" tied to your appearance; it's one of the few things you can control. And when your parents don't allow it, you feel less empowered. The message isn't all that different from Born This Way: you want to follow your instincts.

Gaga has said endlessly that she had to wear a uniform to her Catholic school and her hair was the only thing she could control. This is simply an autobiographical song that is readily understood by those of us familiar with Manic Panic, SunIn, and various bleaching agents.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 19, 2011 6:22:31 PM

17. it's cute. i hope she takes it to Sesame Street for an upbeat treatment with some of their little monsters.

Posted by: Rikard | Jun 20, 2011 10:47:58 AM

18. I think the idea of the power of hair over you gets interesting when you think of the story of Sampson.

Posted by: Logan | Jun 24, 2011 2:25:16 PM

19. Missed a performance ... watch GAGA live on Jimmy Kimmel Tonight!! http://bit.ly/mP2Jqx

Posted by: wayne martin | Jul 28, 2011 8:51:19 PM