Al Franken | DOMA | Focus on the Family | Gay Marriage | News

Al Franken Rips 'Focus on the Family' Witness at DOMA Hearing: VIDEO

Franken

At today's DOMA hearing, Senator Al Franken took Thomas Minnery, Senior Vice President for Public Policy, Focus on the Family, to task for misusing an HHS study in his argument that children are better off with a mother and a father.

Said Franken: "I frankly really don't know how we can trust the rest of your testimony."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The DOMA hearing continues, LIVE, HERE.

And here's some of Minnery's testimony, in which he admits that children of same-sex parents are hurt by the discrimination of DOMA.

Comments

1. As the adoptive parent of two children (with my partner) I just want to say to Mr. Franken, you rock!

I'd place the well being of my children and the parenting skills of me and my partner up against anybodys. And I can say most definitely, we're not raising out kids to hate or be scared of anybody. I would chanllege anyone associated with the Focus on Family group to say that.

Posted by: Bart | Jul 20, 2011 12:04:27 PM

2. WERK!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 20, 2011 12:09:42 PM

3. And this is why the Republicans tried so hard to obstruct and overthrow his election.

Posted by: justme | Jul 20, 2011 12:13:26 PM

4. Al Franken, you are the best leader to come out of Minnesota since Hubert Humphrey.... I'm so glad that you were elected, as you've quickly become one of our most important senators in decades!

Posted by: TonyJ | Jul 20, 2011 12:18:33 PM

5. Bravo, Senator Franken. And thank you. From same sex nuclear families everywhere.

Posted by: Eddie in OKC | Jul 20, 2011 12:31:10 PM

6. Who knew? I secretly harbored the thought that he was a bit of a joke candidate, but I am grateful to be proven wrong.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 20, 2011 12:36:15 PM

7. franken's come a long way since stuart smalley!

Posted by: r | Jul 20, 2011 12:52:05 PM

8. He began his career as a comedian, but after Paul Wellstone was murdered he stepped into politics and put show business behind him.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 20, 2011 12:52:40 PM

9. What amazes me is that gay republicans, Log Cabiners and GOProunders persistently vote for a party that clearly doesn't want them to have any equality. Civil Libertarians are nothing more than republicans under a different name with an ineffectual leader, Ron Paul, who has not once called out Bachman, Pawlenty et al on their opposition to marriage equality, something which the CL party allegedly supports but makes no noise about.

Posted by: robert in nyc | Jul 20, 2011 12:54:06 PM

10. Al, you have a nice pause for effect.

Thanks for stepping up.

I appreciate it.

Posted by: Glenn I | Jul 20, 2011 12:54:31 PM

11. Now if only Jon Stewart would run for president. I'd also like Bill Maher to consider a run for the Senate as well.

Posted by: Zlick | Jul 20, 2011 12:56:35 PM

12. He's been a great successor to Paul Wellstone, who also brooked no crap from the right wing.

Posted by: MikeMick | Jul 20, 2011 1:06:22 PM

13. Oh how I love Al Franken!!!

Posted by: sparks | Jul 20, 2011 1:06:38 PM

14. Every time I see Franken the politician I'm more and more impressed.

Posted by: RandySF | Jul 20, 2011 1:08:21 PM

15. A small note of thanks to Senator Franken to keep up the good work and the fight might be something people could do if they have a minute of their time? He will then know he's speaking for so many more than just are present in the room.

Thank you Senator Franken!

Posted by: Robbie | Jul 20, 2011 1:13:28 PM

16. I just sent Sen. Franken an email thanking him for his work to pass this. i encourage everyone to do the same.

Posted by: Akula | Jul 20, 2011 1:37:12 PM

17. Franken also had a great speech during the DADT repeal hearings where he recounted his time in Iraq entertaining a troops. A general encouraged him privately to keep making jokes about DADT and pointed a couple of lesbians in the audience who were cheering when he made them.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 20, 2011 2:24:58 PM

18. @David: Paul Wellstone was not murdered. He died in an accidental plane crash. I think you are confusing tragic death with murder.

Posted by: anon | Jul 20, 2011 2:35:21 PM

19. @ AKULA, thanks for the idea, just did

Posted by: MikeMick | Jul 20, 2011 2:36:50 PM

20. Sen. Al Franken is the type of Democrat we need more of in Congress and the Senate in particular!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jul 20, 2011 2:43:12 PM

21. @Anon, no, we cannot prove that Paul Wellstone was murdered, just as we cannot prove that the whistleblower of the News of the World illegal hacking was murdered.

But anyone who isn't a right wing shill knows full well that both men were.

By the way, ever notice how many important Democrats and other Americans who stood in the way of the powerful used to die in small plane accidents?

What amazes me is when someone can't bring themselves to believe that the same people they know to be responsible for thousands of Americans dying for lies and oil in Iraq could possibly have a problem with killing a single United States legislator.

Posted by: ohplease | Jul 20, 2011 3:58:11 PM

22. Suddenly, now that it can't pass because of House Republicans all the Democrats are for repeal.
    Where were they when they controlled both houses? Cowering as usual.

Even Obama, who knows he won't have to alienate catholic, baptist and mormons cultists by signing a repeal is tossing a few crumbs our way.

“I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights.”
    Desmond Tutu

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Jul 20, 2011 4:38:51 PM

23. And thank you Leahy for FORCING Minnery to admit that laws as they are put children of gay families at a disadvantage.

Posted by: Troy | Jul 20, 2011 4:39:28 PM

24. I don't get it. Why do the bigots get to sit in front of the democratic Senate Committee and voice their bigotry in the first place? I don't recall having any gay rights advocates as witnesses when the republican-controlled house held a similar hearing in April. Like Bill Maher says in his HBO show "there aren't always two sides to every issue." And he is right. Stupid and Evil do NOT deserve a voice at all (much less a loud one).

This is the reason why there is so much homophobia and opposition to gay rights: the average person on the street does NOT think. He just believes what's he's told. And what he's told from the church and homophobic parents is that gay is bad and a sin. We shouldn't give these people a voice. We should instead have more witnesses on our side to blast the lies that have been told about gays. Metaphorically, we need a loud voice that says to the average person on the street "look me in the eye. I am gay and I'm okay."

Posted by: Mark | Jul 20, 2011 6:39:57 PM

25. " I believe we're entering what I like to call the Al Franken Decade. "

Posted by: Flipper | Jul 20, 2011 7:54:26 PM