New York

Public Pool Would Filter NY's East River

PlusPool

New Yorkers, how many times, on a hot summer day, do you look out at the East River and think, "Hell, I wish I could just dive right in?" But then you realize, "Ug, that's a cess pool!"

Well, the team at + (Plus) Pool hope to change all that by constructing and maintaining a floating pool that filters New York river water into a public pool for all ages.

The team has put their pitch on small business-funding site Kickstarter, and have already raised about $38,000, although still need a bit more dough.

Even if you can't donate, watch their pitch video and dream about how wonderful it would be to escape the gritty city's heat.

Watch the +Pool pitch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Yeah. Y'all are gonna need a bigger pool.

And 38 grand? That might cover a kiddie pool on the roof of an apartment building in Hell's Kitchen.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jul 6, 2011 2:15:52 PM

2. Pooh on the comment above.

I think this looks awesome, and I hope they make it happen. And the setting, off of Brooklyn Bridge Park is fantastic.

Posted by: Asher | Jul 6, 2011 2:59:35 PM

3. Ahh - escaping the heat and grime into a pool of children's piss and poo "tea" - lovely as it seems, I'll just go a friends house instead or take a cold shower.

Posted by: John | Jul 6, 2011 3:10:24 PM

4. I can't wait! There aren't many outdoor or olympic pools in new york. So if I could spend my summer swimming outdoors and not in basements... I'd be thrilled! I like the idea of a mixed use space so that "elite swim clubs" (which, I guess, I'm part of) can mix with recreational swimmers, can mix with kids and families.

Their design looks like those spaces can be separate (so I don't have to deal with people doing water aerobics as I'm trying to do laps). I think there are also some parallels to the highline that could and should be made. Let's get people out enjoying nature and our city:)

Posted by: john p | Jul 6, 2011 3:53:12 PM

5. Arent they already constructing a carousel in that area? I like the idea but if it's one thing, NYC knows how to overdevelop a beautiful spot.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jul 6, 2011 4:43:19 PM

6. It needs a better name. I suggest Floating Efficient Typhoid Infection Device. Then people could say "I'm going for a dip in the FETID pool." (I've seen the East River)

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jul 6, 2011 4:47:47 PM

7. Amazing Idea, but why not just clean the river?

Posted by: Nate | Jul 6, 2011 5:15:31 PM

8. If that's going to be a public (free) pool, it needs to be a LOT bigger. The plus design is cool, though. I assume they'll drain it in the winter, but it's going to require some strong material to survive the winter.

@Nate: that's the ultimate, very long-term goal. Easier said than done.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 6, 2011 6:08:44 PM

9. Ah, what a bunch of pool party poopers. You should be more concerned about a mobster's corpse bobbing by you as you do laps.

Posted by: Your Mom | Jul 6, 2011 7:54:33 PM

10. Handily located right by the projects on the LES.

Oh yeah, an accident waiting to happen. You think the Christopher Street Pier has 'problems' with urban youth, wait to see the problems this 'cool' idea will have.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 7, 2011 1:58:36 AM

11. And before anyone says it, yes, I'm aware the picture shows it on the Brooklyn side.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 7, 2011 2:02:08 AM

12. The concept is noble, but the design is out of scale for a place like NYC. They would need to build about 100 of these. It's only got 4 lanes, but it's a great idea for smaller towns on the water. I think lakes would be more feasible that rivers.

Posted by: MLH | Jul 7, 2011 6:01:24 AM