Gay Marriage | Malaysia | News | Ouyang Wen Feng

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Malaysian Pastor to Wed in NY, Says Government Can't Stop Him

Malaysia's only openly gay pastor, Ouyang Wen Feng, who earlier this month urged gay people in his country to "keep coming out" to combat homophobia, plans to wed in New York on August 31 despite government objections, AFP reports:

Ouyang "Don't I have the right to invite my friends to have meals with me in (a) restaurant in Malaysia?" Ouyang said in an email to AFP over the weekend. "The world is watching. Malaysia cannot afford to jeopardise her image as a moderate country the government is trying to portray," he added.

Homosexuality remains a largely taboo subject in Malaysia, and sodomy is punishable by up to 20 years in prison. Islamic Affairs minister Jamil Khir Baharom said earlier this month that same-sex marriages, such as Ouyang's, were not allowed under the country's civil laws.

The date Ouyang has chosen is not insignificant. It's Malaysia's National Day, celebrating its independence.

Comments

1. He is taking a big and brave step. All the best and happiness to him!

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 22, 2011 9:56:31 AM

2. Sorry, but I really don't think any country with an "Islamic Affairs Minister" can call itself moderate.

Posted by: Jeff K. | Aug 22, 2011 11:02:04 AM

3. I really commend Ouyang Wen Feng for following his truth, his beliefs. He has open the closet doors for many people in Malaysia and to the world. People are human beings that deserve to be treated with respect regardless of color, race, gender or beliefs.

Posted by: Professor Locs | Aug 22, 2011 11:03:08 AM

4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_Ibrahim_sodomy_trials
    The sodomy law in Malaysia is not just some remnant of the past. It can be used politically to land someone in jail. The above link about a former deputy prime minister is a good example. He was sentenced to 9 years in prison for sodomy.

Posted by: simon | Aug 22, 2011 5:09:59 PM

5. Pls I need his contact to know more about this matter with him, can i?

My contact address,