Don Lemon | News | Sandra Bernhard | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #954

LGBTQ: Transsexual, transgender and intersex community rights advocate Ashley Love confronts CNN Don Lemon over his use of the term 'gay community' at the recent NAACP convention.

PHOTOS WITHIN PHOTOS: 500 people hold more than 1500 photos, all around Israel.

COPYRIGHT LAW: Explained.

SANDRA BERNHARD: Joins The Trailblazer Campaign.

For recent Guides to the Tube, click HERE.

Comments

1. Aren't some works that were made before the 1998 law that had already expired now in the public domain, if their original publisher or studio didn't renew it? There's a couple of children's books from the 50's and early 60's I'd love to adapt into plays or screenplays (crediting the original author), but I'm not sure if that's legally kosher.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 24, 2011 8:10:31 PM

2. "LGBT? Is that a sandwich?" - Steven Colbert

Posted by: Grady | Aug 24, 2011 9:54:43 PM

3. Dback, I think you should be able to check registered works with the US copyright office here: http://www.copyright.gov/records/

Posted by: Rick in Cincinnati | Aug 24, 2011 9:56:08 PM

4. Good on her for calling him out on it. I cracked up at the way he just kept repeating "but when I say gay, I mean everybody!" as if repeating it will magically make it okay. No. Erasure and oppression go hand in hand.

Posted by: Sonneillon | Aug 24, 2011 11:28:24 PM

5. Thanks Rick!

Posted by: Dback | Aug 24, 2011 11:47:11 PM

6. So now we are not allowed to call ourselves gay? I am NOT an LGBTQ etc. If you don't like it, suck it.

Posted by: Peter | Aug 25, 2011 1:00:59 AM

7. Peter, if you're gay, then you're gay. Some trans people are gay. But many are straight.

Is it so much to ask to refer to people how they want to be referred to?

This whining sounds a little bit too much like when homophobes say "Why do they have to call themselves GAY? Why can't they just be people? It includes everyone."

Posted by: Randy | Aug 25, 2011 2:11:47 AM

8. The problem, Peter, isn't with people using the phrase "gay community" if that's the community they're referring to.

It becomes problematic when it's used to represent a much broader non-heteronormative community, the way Lemon is in the clip. How many gay men would balk at the idea of the someone saying "Oh, when I say lesbian, I really mean everyone"?

You're not an LGBTQ, that's the point: no one is. The purpose of the acronym is that it keeps us under one umbrella while maintaining separate identities. You're a G and I'm a B and my best friend is an L and my ex is a T, and we can all do that and be part of a larger community at the same time.

Posted by: dex | Aug 25, 2011 6:53:43 AM

9. It's completely inappropriate for one person to attempt to control the speech of another, for political or cultural or sociological ends. The heckler was completely out of line. If I choose to speak of "the gay community," that's my choice, and it's my speech. If you don't agree with my viewpoint, that's one thing, you are free to voice your own. What you are not free to do is to try to impose some kind of thought control, or speech control, on me, by demanding that every time I use the word "gay," I must, under penalty of YOUR worldview, also follow it with the terms "lesbian, bisexual and transgendered." That's just ridiculous, and the heckler's insistence upon the point is actually an expression of weakness and failure. My election not to refer to you in the way you believe you desire or deserve is not, in any way whatsoever, oppression. I don't even have to think about you, and in failing to so think about you, I am not harming you, I am not oppressing you, I am not "making" you invisible. I am not doing anything at all to you. You, on the other hand, are oppressing me when you interrupt my speech to demand that I make a reference to you I would otherwise choose not to make.

Grow up.

Posted by: Curtiss Ross | Aug 25, 2011 2:57:16 PM

10. Copyright law needs updating, but how to update it is tricky. A lot of works that were in the public domain are now back into copyright. However, if you are underhanded and sneaky enough, you can claim the copyright on a "orphaned" work and sue people who publish it. It's the latest thing.

Posted by: anon | Aug 25, 2011 3:41:07 PM