Gay Youth | Kate Winslet | News

BigGayDeal.com

Kate Winslet Tells Kids: 'It Doesn't Make Any Difference to Me' if You're Straight or Gay

Winslet

Kate Winslet, in addition to being a great beauty, appears to be a great mother.

V Magazine: Taylor_winslet

I want to be able to give my children as normal a life as possible. They need to take the bus, the subway, muck around on the playground without having five paparazzi take their picture. I don’t want those memories for them. I didn’t sign up for that.”

Has she thought about an escape? “I haven’t,” says Winslet. “I don’t want to be running and hiding. That’s not me, that’s not who I am. I like being in the city. I like the diversity that my children are exposed to every day. I love the way their brains work. Joe [her son] turns to me the other day and says, ‘One day, I will have a girlfriend. But I might have a boyfriend. If I’m gay.’ He’s 7! And I said, ‘You might have a girlfriend or a boyfriend, darling.’ And he said, ‘Which would you prefer?’ And I said, ‘My love, that would be entirely up to you, and it doesn’t make any difference to me.’ But that he knows! It’s a real privilege. Talk about the best education.”

Also, don't miss the Winslet as Liz Taylor photo shoot by Mario Testino.

Comments

1. "I am glad that my son kicked the sh-t out of your son. And I wipe my ASS with your human rights!" spoken by Kate Winslet from the movie 'Carnage' will be the camp line of dialogue for 2011.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 9, 2011 9:27:33 AM

2. That's adorable if her son said that. i always find it adorable when an innocent child say something about a big societal issue with no bias, hatred, conviction or anything. Just pure innocence.

Posted by: shello | Sep 9, 2011 9:33:07 AM

3. A true star through and through...

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Sep 9, 2011 9:40:28 AM

4. Kate Winslet is wonderful, just wonderful She's my new favorite diva. A great actress who has never sought the limelight with cheap stunts in the way 90% of Hollywood actresses do.

Posted by: jason | Sep 9, 2011 9:47:41 AM

5. Those photos are stunning. Lord she's gorgeous. And her dialogue with her son is so sweet. Just think how different our world would be if all parents raised their kids with that sort of insight and compassion.

Posted by: daws | Sep 9, 2011 9:49:29 AM

6. When I was young, when a baby was born it was a surprise what sex it was. Nowadays almost all mothers know that before the baby arrives. Of course there was no question about the baby's eventual orientation - straight was the default.

Now it's becoming that the surprise arrives several years after the birth, when the kid discovers its orientation.

Posted by: jones | Sep 9, 2011 10:09:43 AM

7. Any guesses on how long it is before the wingnuts at FRC or NOM seize on this as evidence of the "gay agenda," and proof that young children are being "indoctrinated" to believe that (HORRORS!) being gay is ok.

I suppose that now all of the crazy Christianists are going to have burn their DVDs of "Titanic."

Posted by: MiloTock | Sep 9, 2011 11:05:40 AM

8. I have always been a big fan of hers - ever since she was in Heavenly Creatures (very dark film).

I love her even more NOW!!!

Posted by: Justin | Sep 9, 2011 11:32:09 AM

9. I doubt we'll see the fundies picking up on this story—perhaps one of the third-tier bigots will take a swipe—because it's not high-profile enough to really make waves and get media attention. The Christofascists and their followers don't read "V Magazine," but lots of them do watch "Dancing with the Stars," for example. So it's all about hating on high-profile Chaz Bono right now.

Posted by: Turtle | Sep 9, 2011 12:16:56 PM

10. dontcha love it when your heroes from film end up being heroes in real life?

LOVE YA, KATE!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 9, 2011 12:28:09 PM

11. To borrow a phrase from Michael K, Kate's "brow game" on the cover/photo is FANTASTIC.

Posted by: Christian | Sep 9, 2011 12:45:25 PM

12. LIKE I NEEDED A REASON TO ADORE HER.

Posted by: normadesmond | Sep 9, 2011 11:02:13 PM

13. Love her... that's amazing. But if these are supposed to look like Liz Taylor, I'd say fail. But they really reminded me of Maria Callas, and they are gorgeous, either way.

Posted by: graphicjack | Sep 10, 2011 10:32:02 AM

14. I still hold a grudge against her for letting Jack freeze and drown, but she's the hotness.

Posted by: Drew | Sep 10, 2011 10:50:10 PM