Discrimination | Hotels | News | St. Louis

Lesbian Couple Says the Four Seasons Hotel Kicked Them Out for Kissing: VIDEO

St_louis_kiss

Teresa Folds and Julieigh Snell were kissing in the Jacuzzi at the rooftop pool at the Four Seasons in St. Louis when they were asked to leave because of their PDA, told that the hotel does not allow behavior like theirs by any couple, and " insinuated that [they] were not a normal couple," Folds tells KSDK.

The hotel released a statement:

"Four Seasons respects the behaviors of our guests, except where doing so may be a breach of law or create tensions among people. This was the case on the night in question, as our staff received several complaints about the guest's behavior. I can assure you that the gender of the couple was never at issue."

Watch KSDK's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. if the gender didn't make a difference then there better be a sign posted that says "NO KISSING IN THE JACUZZI"

Posted by: mike/ | Oct 5, 2011 6:10:59 PM

2. That's the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. If the couple's gender didn't make the difference, just what was so upsetting about their presence in the Jacuzzi?

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 5, 2011 6:21:56 PM

3. The fact a complaint was made does not mean what was happening was something to actually complain about.

It's about damn time the security guards and the airline stewardesses getting these complaints would just say, two women kissing? No big deal and move on. The fact they are giving a platform to these bell ringers is the real problem, not the same sex couples kissing.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Oct 5, 2011 6:26:02 PM

4. Maybe they were pushing it when they stayed in the pool until closing time, but the hotel saying that it forbids ALL guests to kiss? I don't think so. That's a lie.

The rest of the comments will all about how they brought it upon themselves, that they were probably making out and almost having sex and won't someone please think of the children

Posted by: Steve | Oct 5, 2011 6:27:28 PM

5. "I can assure you that the gender of the couple was never at issue."
    So the Four Seasons does not discriminate based on gender, but gay couples are NOT a gender! The clown that wrote that statement for the hotel obviously doesnt get it. Someone should organize a same sex kiss in!

Posted by: Chicklets | Oct 5, 2011 6:33:07 PM

6. Just called the Four Seasons and spoke to the marketing director who claims that anyone in the hot tub who engages in inappropriate behavior is asked to cool it due to the fact the hot tub faces the windows of a dining area. She cited "guest privacy" and would not elabaorate AT ALL on the alleged behavior that has been categorized as "just kissing" and that gender had nothing to do with it. Will we ever know what happened? Security video perhaps? I would really like to know if this was just a random kiss or something more!

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Oct 5, 2011 6:36:15 PM

7. it would be easy enough to check this out. Just get a hetero couple to go to the hotel and begin kissing in the jacuzzi. See if they are asked to stop or not. Although, it should probably not be done immediately. Wait a month or so until the memory fades so they won't be on their guard.

Posted by: Tim NC | Oct 5, 2011 7:02:36 PM

8. Something about this leads me to believe these two might not be giving the full story. How many "discrimination" situations turned out to be hoaxes recently?

Posted by: Joey Y | Oct 5, 2011 7:33:07 PM

9. Funny to think how security would have loved to watch two women kissing, if only they weren't actual lesbians!
    Sad and surprising to see this discrimination occur at the Four Seasons of all hotel chains.

Posted by: Jesse Archer | Oct 5, 2011 7:41:16 PM

______?vogue
    _______|_?com
    _______|__?Vogue

Posted by: www.voguebloom.com | Oct 5, 2011 8:06:01 PM

11. fingerbanging?

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 5, 2011 8:15:52 PM

12. @ Beef & Fur's got it right!

The problem is that the complainers are not being told to complain on the internet! lol

Gay happens; get the f over yourself. Unless the kissing was drunken, prolonged, or seriously inappropriate, they don't have a leg to stand on (although all hotel property is considered private property).

Btw... 15 years in Hotel Mgmt.

Posted by: pete N SFO | Oct 5, 2011 8:21:18 PM

13. Oh, look, a spammer above.

Surprised there haven't been more responses from the usual suspects that these women are lying, brought this on, and that this isn't a case of discrimination.

Anyone who says this is a "hoax" is absolutely blind. HOW MANY MORE cases like this do we need to hear of before people get the very clear message? Please. These constant stories, from Southwest Airlines to Ari Gold on a shortline bus to the two women at the Twins baseball game, all highlight how a lot of heterosexuals are going out of their way to closet us out of their discomfort and insecurity with our sexuality and the fact more of us are out and open. Even if these two women were making out, which I'm sure is possible, heterosexual pairing kiss openly without any sort of derision DAILY.

The reality is, whatever behavior they engaged in is secondary. The reason why anyone has a radar on these two women to begin with is because they're lesbians and the only reason why there are complaints in these situations is because of the fact the couple are two persons of the same sex. The problem is that these companies are taking the sides of these homophobes who complain instead of realizing that same-sex couples have every right to be as open with their sexuality in a responsible and appropriate way, as heterosexuals are.

Oh well. We'll see if these businesses keep making these same mistakes when they get sued for discrimination, and have to deal with demonstrations and boycotts against their companies.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 5, 2011 8:33:19 PM

14. I find it ironic that above the article there were two ads for the four seasons hotel on this site..........hmmmm

Posted by: Jim | Oct 5, 2011 8:56:33 PM

15. "I find it ironic that above the article there were two ads for the four seasons hotel on this site..........hmmmm"

Ummm, because the ads on the site are determined by what topics are being discussed. In other words, people are talking about Four Seasons, so the site will start showing related ads. Many websites do this.

Posted by: LiamB | Oct 5, 2011 10:31:30 PM

16. Hey guys, maybe they were just getting a little too hot and heavy for public eye. I don't personally like to watch anyone get it on, homosexual or heterosexual couple. I really wish all homosexual couples would stop playing the victim, and realize we don't need to push our sexuality down anyones throat. If were really comfortable with who we are, the huge amounts of pda wouldn't be a perceived necessity. My gf and I have stayed at our share of 4 and 5 star hotels, and we have never been kicked out or asked to leave. Our status as a couple has never gone unknown, but we know the difference in appropriate and inappropriate public behavior.

Posted by: nicki | Oct 5, 2011 11:15:54 PM

17. Riiight...'cause straight people NEVER make out in a Jacuzzi!

Way to go Four Seasons St. Louis--this made the local news; HRC knows about it; you may get protests; lawsuits on the way?; cancellations? Not a very good business strategy to piss off paying customers and reap loads of bad publicity!

Posted by: ludovico | Oct 5, 2011 11:53:52 PM

18. Here's the bottom line. If I've paid to stay at a hotel and want to use the hot tub, and there's a couple (of any kind) making out in it, I'm complaining to the desk. It's incredibly rude and selfish to behave like that in a public place, I don't care who you are.

Posted by: fhrblig | Oct 5, 2011 11:54:33 PM

19. @FHRBLIG
    no, here's the bottom line. If I paid to stay at a hotel and use the hot tub, I'm going to damn well kiss my partner. If you don't like it, look away. Complaining is just the bitter, angry thing to do, I don't care who you are.

Posted by: Mk_Ultra_Again | Oct 6, 2011 12:07:45 AM

20. Agreed, Nicki and FHRBLIG.

Posted by: Jolyon | Oct 6, 2011 12:35:15 AM

21. If I go into a jacuzzi, I have a right NOT to be exposed to other people's sex lives. Too many ugly lesbians think they're hot when they are actually disgusting.

Posted by: ron | Oct 6, 2011 12:38:17 AM

22. "I can assure you that the gender of the couple was never at issue."

"At issue" means debatable, contested, unknown. This sentence means "I can assure you that everybody knew they were two women."

I'm sure they meant to say "never an issue".

More importantly, what moron put the dining area facing a hot tub? Ewwwww.

Posted by: BobN | Oct 6, 2011 12:45:22 AM

23. I'm a regular poster here, and I agree that there's something not quite right about this story. But I'm posting anonymously because my ex and I stayed at Todd Oldham's "the hotel" in South Beach 10 years ago and were on ecstasy, nude, in the rooftop pool. A security guy came around and told us we had to leave not because we were nude and frolicking after pool hours (there was no one else around, and no we weren't doing more than kissing) but because a Major Celebrity I won't name (hint: rhymes with Radonna) wanted the pool and didn't want to be disturbed.

We told him we didn't give a crap who was getting in the pool, but we weren't leaving. Then we gave him our room number, which was one of the priciest in the place (I was working as a travel writer at the time, so they gave me a fantastic upgrade). So he said we could stay if we "kept our distance." Obviously we did. Celebrity worship was the last thing on our addled minds.

A couple years later we were staying at the Four Seasons in Vancouver (again, at a rate only affordable because of a friend's corporate discount) and were running up and down the hallways nude (at 3 in the morning, making zero noise, just amusing ourselves by taking pictures of ourselves naked in such a pristine environment). They have cameras everywhere, and we received a polite note the next day from management to please keep our nudity in our room---a perfectly reasonable response.

I'm not proud or bragging about either event, and I realize they sound childish. Such is youth. But if these two were fully clothed and honestly just kissing and paying Four Seasons rates, they should have told security to F off. And if that didn't work, demand not just a full refund but a month's worth of vouchers for Four Seasons the world over, or they'd take it to the press---and exaggerate the hell out of it, which I'm guessing is what they're doing. I don't mean to insult them, and the story is awful if absolutely true. But we all need to fight back, even in St. Louis, especially if you're paying a fortune for the "privilege" of being a guest pretty much anywhere.

No business, even most mom and pop B&Bs, is willing to piss off and piss away the gay dollar. That's been my experience across the US, Western Europe, and even many developing countries (Egypt, Cambodia, Thailand, Turkey, Mexico...it's a long list), and even in rural Virginia. I've never had trouble because I've always asked if there would be a problem with two men sharing a bed. I'm not blaming these women in any way, but I do wonder if they couldn't have handled the situation differently. And of course, men (even the gay ones) do receive more respect in some situations, though women often receive free things or preferential treatment in others. Being gay often requires inquiring, inspecting, or carefully assessing a destination beforehand. If it's not cool, don't give them a dime.

Posted by: Anon | Oct 6, 2011 12:51:33 AM

24. I'd like to see a video tape of what actually went on there. If they were having a hot and heavy make-out session I could see where it would make others uncomfortable. If they were a heterosexual couple and they were having a hot and heavy session I can tell you that my partner and I would not feel comfortable getting into that jacuzzi with them. A kiss, fine. Some hot extended session...take it up to the room.
    I think a video tape might help ...

Posted by: oliver | Oct 6, 2011 4:24:05 AM

25. Niki, FHRBLIG, Ron, Oliver have got it right. I'll bet these women were making obnoxious asses of themselves. Too many people of all kinds have no sense of what is inappropriate.

Posted by: uffda | Oct 6, 2011 7:52:29 AM