News | Nikki Poteet | Pageants | Virginia

BigGayDeal.com

Miss Virginia USA Nikki Poteet Accused of Drunken Attack on Gay Couple

Miss Virginia USA Nikki Poteet's gay roommate Derek Powell and several others are calling on the Miss Universe Organization to speak out following an incident in which an allegedly drunken Poteet attacked Powell and his boyfriend, using anti-gay slurs and threatening them with assault, Think Progress reports:

PoteetPoteet’s roommate since January 2011 — claims Poteet became “extremely violent and physical and proceeded to call me and my boyfriend ‘faggots’ and ‘c**ksuckers’” at around 2 a.m. at their group house in Richmond, Virginia. Poteet denied the allegations during a phone conversation with ThinkProgress, but admitted to some sort of altercation. “One of his friends proceeded to say things that didn’t need to be said,” she said.

Powell told ThinkProgress that Poteet was “extremely intoxicated” that night and seemed upset that she did not have the full house to herself. She responded by lashing out at Powell, his boyfriend Chris, and their friends, swinging her shoes at the group, pushing people, and claiming that her male companion would “beat” their ass. Poteet kneed another person, ripped the door off of a family heirloom, and “downgraded people based on their physical appearance and economic status,” Powell explains in his letter.

Poteet is denying any wrongdoing although several people are backing up Powell's story.

Poteet claimed she loves gays in a phone call to Think Progress before hanging up once confronted with evidence she had damaged property in the incident: “The guy that’s in my pageant office is gay and he’s my best friend in the world, I talk to him every day."

Looks like somebody's not winning Miss Congeniality.

Comments

1. LOL. So now poor little gay boys are being "bullied" by a petite, little beauty queen and want the authorities to do something to "protect" them.

Good.....God......Almighty.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 2, 2011 2:00:21 PM

2. Hm. Not only does she resent it when guys are prettier than she is, but she seems to be a blackout drinker.

Posted by: Danny | Nov 2, 2011 2:00:53 PM

3. Maybe she'll marry YOU "Rick." it's obvious that she wants a gay husband. And we all know how Butch you are.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 2, 2011 2:03:19 PM

4. Well, you're right, David...although I'm not sure I'd trust a drunk with a strap-on ( I know all about drunks and dildos). But then again, it's Rick we're talking about.

Go for it, Miss Poteet...tear that wannabe macho booty up!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 2, 2011 2:08:35 PM

5. Oh my God, I know her, not overly closely, but I'm surprised by this since from what I know of her, she's definitely not homophobic. I'm also surprised since our city is generally progressive when it comes to the gay thing. There definitely must be some homophobia inside of her to make these sorts of comments. With that said, she knowingly is (was) roommates with a gay man.

Also I read she made racial comments and the story says she used slurs based on some of the individuals' economic status. So, she's a disgusting drunk who has some serious personal issues she'll need to examine and get a hold of. And hopefully she'll examine those beliefs without the title of Miss Virginia to her name.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 2, 2011 2:19:38 PM

6. That dress makes her look really fat.

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 2, 2011 2:56:56 PM

7. Maybe silicone and alcohol don't mix well.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 2, 2011 3:38:14 PM

8. I know her, and her roommate situation.. This Derek is trying to use her to get his own 15 min of fame..Sorry silly gay boy, didn't work! Pinning a beauty queen with being 'homophobic' was so 2008! MOVING ON....

Posted by: Robert | Nov 2, 2011 3:54:50 PM

9. Are you saying what reportedly happen, didn't happen, Robert? Because if that's the case then a lot of people are lying. But her own reaction when Think Progress called her about the property damage and hanging up the phone on the conversation they were in the middle of shows that something clearly happened.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 2, 2011 4:13:43 PM

10. Moving away from VA was the best thing I've ever done.

She really isn't all the pretty. Kind of looks like a drag queen. And as someone else said, that dress is a poor choice. Looks like something a desperate cougar would wear.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 2, 2011 4:33:18 PM

11. I'm one of the other roommates in this house, and I am sad to say the incident doesn't surprise me. I have on more than one occasion overheard her making overtly racist remarks and she has a history of clashing with well-adjusted people who had the misfortune of living with her.
    Someone above mentioned that she chose to live with a gay man. This doesn't tell the story. She was the remaining person in a beautiful 4 bedroom house in Church Hill, when I, Derek and another friend were trying to sign a lease for the place. She was given the opportunity to meet with us to ask if she could stay on at the house. She explained that her previous roommates, a group of recently graduated nurses, were "bitches," who had persecuted her. Unfortunately, we gave her the benefit of the doubt and signed the lease with her. She was bad girl style trouble from that very moment forward. We came to rue this decision over and over. She is every bit as shallow, empty-headed and poisonous as she seems. Thankfully, she is moving out a month and a half before the end of the lease...maybe some reality show will scoop her up and spare other unsuspecting people any contact. Good riddance.

Posted by: Mark Hummel | Nov 2, 2011 4:56:50 PM

12. Women tend to be very envious of male-male sexuality. I've always said that women are the greatest enemy of gay men's rights. A lot of the male-directed homophobia that comes from straight guys is actually encouraged by women.

Posted by: jason | Nov 2, 2011 5:13:08 PM

13. Thanks for that, Mark. So all in all, she's just a total horrible person and this drunken episode more or less was exposing her true inner ugliness. Well, in that case, once again, the saying "beauty is only skin deep" shows itself to be true.

Posted by: Francis | Nov 2, 2011 5:16:08 PM

14. Hey Robert, do you really want to advertize that you are well-acquainted with toxic trash like that? Ew.

Posted by: Beestingz | Nov 2, 2011 5:17:12 PM

15. Way to paint all women with the same brush there, Jason. Perhaps you wouldn't mind if others did the same of gay people.

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 2, 2011 5:29:38 PM

16. Gregoire,

Í'm simply stating fact. Women ARE envious of male-male sexuality. They are even more resentful of it if it's in the form of male bisexuality.

A lot of women have contributed to the same-sex double standard by encouraging the notion that girl-girl is hot and guy-guy is gross. They do it in order to keep the guy-guy at bay and to establish a privileged position for themselves in the sexuality stakes.

Women are not our friends, have never been our friends, and will never be our friends. Women are simply interested in using their sexuality as a marketing ploy to obtain benefits that are unrelated to sexual satisfaction.

They see male-male sexuality as a threat to their ability to compete.

Posted by: jason | Nov 2, 2011 5:34:49 PM

17. Jason,

Are you trolling? It is men that perpetuate the notion that girl-girl is hot. Your whole thesis is silly. I don't honestly believe women are terribly threatened one way or another by men who biologically are not interested in them, unless they are religious zealots, but that is a separate issue.

Posted by: Beestingz | Nov 2, 2011 5:57:07 PM

18. I should clarify what I said about the girl-girl thing. It isn't men specifically, but it certainly isn't women specifically either.

Posted by: Beestingz | Nov 2, 2011 5:59:45 PM

19. @jason. your first part about women's antipathy to guy-guy sexuality so they can keep their privilege is right.

but your second part is outright misogyny and demagoguery

Posted by: gomez | Nov 2, 2011 6:03:48 PM

20. @Jason and @Gomez

First, you are generalizing. As you are not female and you are not each and every individual female that exists you have no idea 1) what we think, 2) how we feel, and 3) if we all succumb to anti-gay male group think.

I will say though that I was a lot more "pro-gay male equality" before finding Towleroad and reading comments like yours. There are days now when I really wish I could just support lesbian equality and then Francis, TJ, and a few of my gay male friends because by and large there is a great deal of ugliness towards my gender.

I'm not offended by men who are not attracted to women anymore than I am offended by men who are not attracted to me personally. TO EACH THEIR OWN PREFERENCE.

I think that you are born with an inclination and don't turn so I don't see "gay men" as a threat to finding a "straight male". I think the so-called "straight" men who have gay sex are bisexual, ergo not "straight", therefore it makes no sense to be fearful of gay men.

It's ridiculous....and honestly it can be very bitter sounding and mean when people say things like that.

Generalizing about women is no different than generalizing about gay men, blacks, etc.

Posted by: Rin | Nov 2, 2011 6:50:54 PM

21. "Women tend to be very envious of male-male sexuality. I've always said that women are the greatest enemy of gay men's rights. A lot of the male-directed homophobia that comes from straight guys is actually encouraged by women."

As a gay man, I mus say this: Muahahahaha!

Posted by: HoHo | Nov 2, 2011 8:12:06 PM

22. Mr. Towle: whenever you are in need of a new writer to your blog, please consider Jason. He would make great comic relief. I will even google other posts by him on this blog so I can laugh some more.

Posted by: HoHo | Nov 2, 2011 8:20:09 PM

23. my god the woman has all the qualities to become a fox news puppet dumb, blonde and a bigot. she can fox news at 6:00.

Posted by: walter | Nov 2, 2011 8:22:44 PM

24. First of all - why is this even "news"? Isn't this a more personal matter. And then, to get some kind of warm and fuzzy comment from one of the most sexist organizations in the world means nothing.
    Pure FLUFF.

Posted by: mk | Nov 2, 2011 8:36:02 PM

25. Obviously you all cannot read. Do you know the definition of "alleged"?? How many times are people said to "allegedly" have done something, and it turns out to be completely false? Like I said before, Derek is just trying to get his 15 min. of fame, which will never come. If it is wrong for someone to "allegedly" call someone a name, then it is wrong for someone else to post name-calling on a blog. That makes ALL of you bigots! She has done many great things in her community and is well respected. Stop and ask yourself..did you see it happen, and is this Derek guy trying to use the Miss Virginia title to make it known that he is gay just to get a better boyfriend? Move on to something relevant, not some stupid personal dispute..Get a life!

Posted by: Robert | Nov 3, 2011 8:33:25 AM