Christmas | Morrissey | News | The Smiths

Morrissey Does Christmas: VIDEO

Smiths

I never thought I'd see the day when a Smiths record was covered for a Christmas advertisement (or any advertisement, for that matter), but I'm glad that it was one as sweet and thoughtful as this.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Morrissey is spinning in his grave...whatever.

Just awful.

Posted by: benjamin | Nov 14, 2011 10:40:56 PM

2. Thanks, Andy.

This really was sweet, and it made my evening.

Posted by: Anon | Nov 14, 2011 10:42:09 PM

3. I agree...this was sweet. Thank you

Posted by: Geoff M | Nov 14, 2011 10:51:10 PM

4. YOU are awful, Benjamin. Just. Awful.

Posted by: Asher | Nov 14, 2011 10:58:49 PM

5. hideous. not only is it an abomination of this song, but did the kid go to that big department store on his own?

Posted by: steven | Nov 14, 2011 11:01:52 PM

6. How lovely to see a child (and a charming and special one at that) so excited about *giving* a gift to his parents for Christmas. Who cares where he bought it. Certainly not an abomination as far as I can see.

Posted by: bluedogJ | Nov 14, 2011 11:15:31 PM

7. Unexpectedly sweet. Somehow Morrisey and Christmas had me picturing razor blades as stocking stuffers.

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 14, 2011 11:20:17 PM

8. I thought this was a trailer for a horror movie. I think the sister's head is in that box. I swear!

Posted by: Rory | Nov 14, 2011 11:49:33 PM

9. My goth cynical heart just froze a bit more. The Pogue's selling cars was bad enough but now this .

Posted by: Lazycrockett | Nov 15, 2011 12:30:21 AM

10. They were already using "Everyday Is Like Sunday" for football commercials

Posted by: Jim | Nov 15, 2011 12:36:02 AM

11. There really is no such thing as too bitter for some queens. Having worked too many years in retail (thank god that's over), my Christmas joy is mostly dead. I thought this ad was great. Thank you, jaded marys, for making me realize I might have more Christmas spirit than I thought. As long as you're around, I'll practically look chipper through the Holidays!

Posted by: Bill | Nov 15, 2011 1:03:42 AM

12. @BENJAMIN: You do realize that Morrissey is still very much alive, right?

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 15, 2011 1:10:04 AM

13. I thought it was incredibly sweet. And yes, the message is nice and positive.

Also, I've always thought The Smiths were just a pop band anyway so I don't get the outrage. Anybody who thinks they're risqué must be living in a basement.

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Nov 15, 2011 1:10:56 AM

14. @G.I. JOE: I don't think anyone is saying that The Smiths are risqué...just that nothing about their (and Morrissey's) goth, melancholy, angst-ridden vibe lends itself easily to the joy and cheer that retailers typically associate with Christmas.

And for the record, to write The Smiths off as "just a pop band" is to seriously underestimate their importance in music history. Many critics consider The Smiths to be the seminal British indie rock band of the 80s, effectively changing the sound of rock and roll from synth dominated New Wave to a style based more on guitars and vocals. They influenced bands like Oasis, Blur, Suede, etc...right down to guitar driven bands of today. They really were much more than "just a pop band".

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 15, 2011 1:36:02 AM

15. Honestly I cant wait to see what they do to Fairytale of New York.

Posted by: Lazycrockett | Nov 15, 2011 1:53:55 AM

16. The bitter comments in here are a joke, right?

A kid who is more excited to give a present on Christmas Day than to receive them? Heart-warming, even if it is a commercial for a store. This kid is also an excellent little actor.

Posted by: RJ | Nov 15, 2011 2:12:25 AM

17. "Sweet and thoughtful" is exactly right. What a darling little vid, and kid.

The negative comments here represent states of mind I find incomprehensible.

Posted by: uffda | Nov 15, 2011 3:15:15 AM

18. @Benjamin, "Morrissey is spinning in his grave"?
    He's 52 years old and has just written a book which is coming out next year.

Posted by: oliver | Nov 15, 2011 3:32:17 AM

19. I saw this ad during X Factor last Saturday and it blew me and my partner away - and I'm not a big fan of kids by any means. I feel sorry for those Morrisey followers who are so outraged. Isn't the whole too-cool-for-school thing supposed to stop with school - especially whe yuo're gay!

Posted by: Paul | Nov 15, 2011 5:16:31 AM

20. and @Bill when you say 'There really is no such thing as too bitter for some queens'...
    Why does disliking a commercial because you think its message and way it manipulates people is not to your taste a matter of sexuality? There are countless straight Smith fans that also thinks the ad sucks big balls...

Posted by: Steve F | Nov 15, 2011 5:54:48 AM

21. @ PETERPARKER "They influenced bands like Oasis, Blur, Suede, etc..."

Yeah. Other pop bands.

I'm sorry, I like many of The Smiths songs, but it's goth and new wave for the masses. And for what they've left behind... Sorry, I totally get that one likes this band - but let's not take ourselves too seriously here. (And I'm nice, I'm not even mentioning that Morrissey is a disgusting closet case - oops).

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Nov 15, 2011 7:35:44 AM

22. Sweet advertisement, but that's actually a terrible cover of the song. No emotion in it whatsoever.

Posted by: Ken | Nov 15, 2011 7:53:19 AM

23. It's way too early for Christmas, but that was still very nicely done. Haters begone!

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 15, 2011 8:56:57 AM

24. The Smiths were neither Goth or New wave and were certainly never embraced by the masses. We're you even alive in the 80's?

Love the Smiths, the ad was cute and I don't feel even remotely manipulated.

Posted by: chad | Nov 15, 2011 9:13:29 AM

25. Saccharine, not sweet. The Dream Acadamy's version from Ferris Bueller's Day Off would have been a better choice if the marketers didn't want to use Morrissey's melancholy original. "Melancholy original". That's my Moz. <3

Posted by: Brent | Nov 15, 2011 9:14:42 AM