Gay Marriage | New Hampshire

Kevin Smith Will Repeal Marriage Equality In New Hampshire, But He Will Do So Without Much Enthusiasm

KevinSmith
Yes, New Hampshire gubernatorial candidate Kevin Smith would repeal gay marriage legislation in his state, given half a chance. No, he doesn't want it to be a campaign issue.

So he says in this video, from the Exeter Patch. Which either represents some extremely clumsy/sleazy politicking ("No, I don't like gay people, but I'd like them to vote for me anyway") or a genuine shift in consciousness among conservatives in the Granite State ("No, I don't like gay people, but it's a very mild kind of dislike and I'm not losing any sleep over it"). Sorry -- I'd embed the vid, but the Patch isn't letting me.

Kevin Smith, a Republican, was once a director at the hyperconservative, very LGBT-unfriendly Cornerstone Action group. But he's a bit of a category-boggler -- he also works as a "volunteer ambassador" for the ONE Campaign.

Comments

1. Kevin Smith is trying to retool his image - since his image is all about being an anti-gay tool. He's hoping that by reinventing himself he'll have some appeal in the 3/4 of the state who has no idea or interest in him or his candidacy.

Also, there's almost certainly a lavender boa in the back of his closet.

Posted by: pinko | Dec 30, 2011 10:00:33 AM

2. While you can't embed the video, you *can* link to it. So, for anyone who wants to watch it, it's here: http://bit.ly/sLqnx0

Posted by: Scot Colford | Dec 30, 2011 10:22:41 AM

3. I hope the headline is meant to read "do so" and not "do do". Although...

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Dec 30, 2011 10:24:42 AM

4. Sorry, Scot -- I forgot to include the link. The oversight has been fixed. - BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Dec 30, 2011 10:26:21 AM

5. "Kevin Smith, a Republican, was once a director at the hyperconservative, very LGBT-unfriendly Cornerstone Action group."

In other words, a closet case......just like every last one of them.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Dec 30, 2011 11:00:48 AM

6. I have to agree with allbeefpatty, somewhere in his past there is a boyfriend or partner. It will come back to bite him on the ass. It always does!

Posted by: Randy | Dec 30, 2011 3:49:27 PM

7. Sounds like he is 'multi-closeted" with branches in Keene, Nashua,and Claremont....somebody needs to take him to the top of Mt.Washington, and LEAVE him there..

Posted by: codyj | Dec 30, 2011 5:24:45 PM

8. Won't happen. He's a lost cause. NH is a very pro gay state. With people anywhere from indifferent to greatly aligned with the cause. Lol it's so awesome seeing him waste his resources, money, time and energy on a lost cause though. Love seeing Conservatives literally grow old and die over this issue. Buh bye boo boo.

Posted by: Tudie | Dec 30, 2011 6:55:54 PM