Gay Marriage | Janice Daniels | Michigan

BigGayDeal.com

Michigan Mayor Not Happy 'Queers' Can Marry in New York or Anywhere

Facebook_daniels

Janice Daniels, the new mayor of Troy, Michigan, is feeling the heat for a recently-uncovered Facebook status update she wrote back in June after marriage equality was passed in New York.

DanielsSaid Daniels' update: "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there."

MLive reports:

The blog “Keep Troy Strong” uncovered the post last night, and it’s spread across social media. Daniels confirmed today that she did post the message, though she said she decided against ditching the bag.

“I may have said something like that,” she said. “I probably shouldn’t have used that kind of language, but I do believe marriage should be between one man and one woman.”

Daniels also criticized “Keep Troy Strong” for having a vendetta against her administration...

...Daniels added that while she’s opposed to gay marriage, and has moral issues with homosexuality, she doesn’t hate gay people. “I love all people. I am human. That was probably a poor choice of words.”

The Facebook post has since been removed.

Daniels was elected last month and is a longtime activist in Michigan’s Tea Party, the Detroit Free Press reports:

Gay rights leaders in Michigan said Daniels’ words amounted to hate speech. Denise Brogan-Kator, executive director of Equality Michigan, said on her own Facebook page: “I find it discouraging that a leader of people can have such disregard for the lives of people she serves.”

UPDATE: A rally protesting Daniels and calling for her resignation is scheduled 3 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. at Troy City Hall, 500 W. Beaver, which coincides with a Troy City Council meeting at 7:30 p.m.

Comments

1. *Probably* a poor choice of words? She doesn't even know for sure what she said was wrong, hugely offensive and homophobic? Someone needs to throw a rock through her window. I would do but i live in the UK. Anybody here from Detroit?

Posted by: Dan | Dec 5, 2011 9:50:48 AM

2. I'm proud to be queer, but I hate it when over-privileged straights use "queer" (or "gay") to thoughtlessly stigmatize me and my queer brothers and sisters.

I understand that she was probably writing to a group of like-minded friends, but that doesn't really explain it, does it? It certainly doesn't reduce reflexive bigotry to a poor choice of words.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Dec 5, 2011 9:54:37 AM

3. Nice 1972 hairstyle. I bet she's a real hoot at parties once she gets a few wine spritzers in her. By the way, she apparently loves to toss around inappropriate Holocaust references online as well. Doesn't she have a grandchild from the 21st century who can explain this whole internet thing to her?

Posted by: Greg | Dec 5, 2011 9:55:23 AM

4. Sorry but she's nothing more than the typical Teahadist beyotch politician. I've no more regard for her and her lifestyle than she does for me and mine.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Dec 5, 2011 9:57:32 AM

5. Michigan's been keeping it classy, I see. What an idiot. Honestly, the more I see of the Tea Party, the more hideously realistic the movie "Idiocracy" becomes.

Posted by: The Milkman | Dec 5, 2011 9:58:09 AM

6. facebook.com/stopHATE

Posted by: Jack | Dec 5, 2011 10:00:34 AM

7. It's not inappropriate to email both her and the city council to make your displeasure known... keeping the language civil, of course. Amusing. They no longer list the direct email addresses of the mayor and city council, only a single "contact us" email address. Perhaps they were getting a little more input than they cared to see.

Posted by: justinw | Dec 5, 2011 10:04:28 AM

8. @justinw: janice.daniels@troymi.gov

Posted by: gaylib | Dec 5, 2011 10:07:24 AM

9. My email to the mayor:

I guess I'll throw away all my mowtown records now that ignorant, hateful bigots can be elected mayor in Michigan. I mean fair's fair, right?

Posted by: gaylib | Dec 5, 2011 10:08:47 AM

10. Poor choice of "words" plural? I gather there's only one word she regrets using. It's the thought she expresses that offends, not the being called queer - which suits me just fine.

Posted by: Jacques | Dec 5, 2011 10:09:23 AM

11. I emailed her this "Your homophobic outburst on facebook was disgusting. It's depressing someone in your position would use such childish language to express such a hateful sentiment." not that there's any point really, just wanted to vent

Posted by: DanSwon | Dec 5, 2011 10:14:20 AM

12. GAYLIB, I like your idea but please don't call her out for her ignorance in the same sentence that you call Mo-town "mowtown". Besides I think she is the mayor of Tro-town (as in Trojan/Troy Town) anyway.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Dec 5, 2011 10:14:23 AM

13. whatever zeke.

Posted by: gaylib | Dec 5, 2011 10:16:45 AM

14. This won't surprise you, but Troy Michigan is home to two of the largest churches in the United States.

You will also not be suprised to learn that their city council recently voted to close the Troy Public Library for good.

Yes, sounds like a wonderful place to live, and this lady sounds like a fine representative.

Posted by: Gregoire | Dec 5, 2011 10:21:43 AM

15. Poor choice of words (two examples).

Example (1): "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there."

Example (2): "I think I am going to avoid Troy, Michigan since the voters there they like to elect loudmouth c*nts to office."

Why the double standard? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Posted by: Artie | Dec 5, 2011 10:28:34 AM

16. Oh, yeah, I can feel her "love" for others oozing out of her pores like toxic waste out of a landfill. Good ol' Christian love just warms my heart.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Dec 5, 2011 10:32:47 AM

17. Another one for Palin's taget map

Posted by: Keith | Dec 5, 2011 10:34:48 AM

18. Hey look, it's Sharron Angle's sister.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 5, 2011 10:39:43 AM

19. We don't want your kind in NYC anyhow

Posted by: John Normile | Dec 5, 2011 10:58:54 AM

20. I sent her an email it said

Following your FB posting as a citizen of NYC I'm ok with you throwing away your I heart NY bag if you promise to never show your face in our fair city ever again.

Keep It Classy you Bigot.

xo,

Posted by: brando | Dec 5, 2011 11:05:44 AM

21. She should be recalled immediately. No ifs, ands, butts about it - remove her from the Office of Mayor NOW!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Dec 5, 2011 11:22:31 AM

22. Another highly evolved Tea Party candidate.

Get her outta there.

Posted by: Steve | Dec 5, 2011 11:25:13 AM

23. why doesn't everyone up their make her life a living hell and attack her facebook page. Better yet every time she speaks shut her up protest her and get her to resign. This is a tea bagger we're talking about not some brilliant person.

Posted by: x man | Dec 5, 2011 11:30:20 AM

24. An "I Love NY" carrying bag should be thrown away regardless.
    T A C K Y.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 5, 2011 11:39:40 AM

25. I just sent this via Facebook:
    Go ahead and throw away your tacky tourist $5 crappy bag! NO. ONE. CARES. Stay in your podunk town, keep your ugly Walmart suits, your 1972 haircut, and your shut down libraries, Ms. Pasty. No one's asking you to expose yourself to rich culture... or sunlight!

Too much?