Michigan Mayor Not Happy ‘Queers’ Can Marry in New York or Anywhere

Facebook_daniels

Janice Daniels, the new mayor of Troy, Michigan, is feeling the heat for a recently-uncovered Facebook status update she wrote back in June after marriage equality was passed in New York.

DanielsSaid Daniels' update: "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there."

MLive reports:

The blog “Keep Troy Strong” uncovered the post last night, and it’s spread across social media. Daniels confirmed today that she did post the message, though she said she decided against ditching the bag.

“I may have said something like that,” she said. “I probably shouldn’t have used that kind of language, but I do believe marriage should be between one man and one woman.”

Daniels also criticized “Keep Troy Strong” for having a vendetta against her administration…

…Daniels added that while she’s opposed to gay marriage, and has moral issues with homosexuality, she doesn’t hate gay people. “I love all people. I am human. That was probably a poor choice of words.”

The Facebook post has since been removed.

Daniels was elected last month and is a longtime activist in Michigan’s Tea Party, the Detroit Free Press reports:

Gay rights leaders in Michigan said Daniels’ words amounted to hate speech. Denise Brogan-Kator, executive director of Equality Michigan, said on her own Facebook page: “I find it discouraging that a leader of people can have such disregard for the lives of people she serves.”

UPDATE: A rally protesting Daniels and calling for her resignation is scheduled 3 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. at Troy City Hall, 500 W. Beaver, which coincides with a Troy City Council meeting at 7:30 p.m.

Comments

1. Dan says

*Probably* a poor choice of words? She doesn’t even know for sure what she said was wrong, hugely offensive and homophobic? Someone needs to throw a rock through her window. I would do but i live in the UK. Anybody here from Detroit?

2. Chuck Mielke says

I’m proud to be queer, but I hate it when over-privileged straights use “queer” (or “gay”) to thoughtlessly stigmatize me and my queer brothers and sisters.

I understand that she was probably writing to a group of like-minded friends, but that doesn’t really explain it, does it? It certainly doesn’t reduce reflexive bigotry to a poor choice of words.

3. Greg says

Nice 1972 hairstyle. I bet she’s a real hoot at parties once she gets a few wine spritzers in her. By the way, she apparently loves to toss around inappropriate Holocaust references online as well. Doesn’t she have a grandchild from the 21st century who can explain this whole internet thing to her?

4. HadenoughBS says

Sorry but she’s nothing more than the typical Teahadist beyotch politician. I’ve no more regard for her and her lifestyle than she does for me and mine.

5. The Milkman says

Michigan’s been keeping it classy, I see. What an idiot. Honestly, the more I see of the Tea Party, the more hideously realistic the movie “Idiocracy” becomes.

6. justinw says

It’s not inappropriate to email both her and the city council to make your displeasure known… keeping the language civil, of course. Amusing. They no longer list the direct email addresses of the mayor and city council, only a single “contact us” email address. Perhaps they were getting a little more input than they cared to see.

7. gaylib says

My email to the mayor:

I guess I’ll throw away all my mowtown records now that ignorant, hateful bigots can be elected mayor in Michigan. I mean fair’s fair, right?

8. Jacques says

Poor choice of “words” plural? I gather there’s only one word she regrets using. It’s the thought she expresses that offends, not the being called queer – which suits me just fine.

9. DanSwon says

I emailed her this “Your homophobic outburst on facebook was disgusting. It’s depressing someone in your position would use such childish language to express such a hateful sentiment.” not that there’s any point really, just wanted to vent

10. TampaZeke says

GAYLIB, I like your idea but please don’t call her out for her ignorance in the same sentence that you call Mo-town “mowtown”. Besides I think she is the mayor of Tro-town (as in Trojan/Troy Town) anyway.

11. Gregoire says

This won’t surprise you, but Troy Michigan is home to two of the largest churches in the United States.

You will also not be suprised to learn that their city council recently voted to close the Troy Public Library for good.

Yes, sounds like a wonderful place to live, and this lady sounds like a fine representative.

12. Artie says

Poor choice of words (two examples).

Example (1): “I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there.”

Example (2): “I think I am going to avoid Troy, Michigan since the voters there they like to elect loudmouth c*nts to office.”

Why the double standard? What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

13. JerzeeMike says

Oh, yeah, I can feel her “love” for others oozing out of her pores like toxic waste out of a landfill. Good ol’ Christian love just warms my heart.

14. brando says

I sent her an email it said

Following your FB posting as a citizen of NYC I’m ok with you throwing away your I heart NY bag if you promise to never show your face in our fair city ever again.

Keep It Classy you Bigot.

xo,

15. x man says

why doesn’t everyone up their make her life a living hell and attack her facebook page. Better yet every time she speaks shut her up protest her and get her to resign. This is a tea bagger we’re talking about not some brilliant person.

16. Rex says

I just sent this via Facebook:
    Go ahead and throw away your tacky tourist $5 crappy bag! NO. ONE. CARES. Stay in your podunk town, keep your ugly Walmart suits, your 1972 haircut, and your shut down libraries, Ms. Pasty. No one’s asking you to expose yourself to rich culture… or sunlight!

Too much?

17. Bart says

This idiot woman deserves all the ridicule and scorn that can be heaped upon her. Part of the Tea Party — no surprise there, they seem to be a beacon for the regressive, overtly ignorant, scumbags such as Janice Daniels.

And it wasn’t a poor choice of words, it was exactly who she is. It tells us everything who this dolt is and why she should be drummed out of public life.

18. Paul says

Troy is also home to the Somerset Collection, a huge shopping complex with Saks, Neimans, Norstrom, and Macy’s. Maybe all the gay employees should call in sick and gay shoppers refuse to shop there on the Saturday before Christmas. Lost sales = lost revenue for Troy.

19. says

@Stuffed Animal, there’s a difference.

I self-identify as Queer, not as my orientation but as a very pointed statement about my sociopolitical identity.

“Queers” doesn’t mean GAY. Not all queer people are gay, not all gay people are queer.

queer people reclaiming the word as an empowered identity doesn’t give this woman the right to use the word as a decidedly and specifically negative label.

the Queer identity being reclaimed it, quite simply, a stance of identifying a difference from the perceived norm that nonetheless should not justify one being discriminated against. diversity – the right and freedom to not be of the perceived “norm” and yet not *punished* for it.

there’s a difference between self-identifying and someone tossing out a word as specific slander.

20. Yuki says

Wow. What this woman said was inexcusable–if you HAVE to disagree, while there’s no logical reason to do so on this issue, say it in better wording–but the comments here are even harsher. Do we really have to attack what this woman looks like in order to condemn her message? Seriously? That’s just going to set her more against us, because instead of showing your disagreement, you’re just attacking her.

21. Mary says

Really the only problem with the mayor’s remarks was the use of the now-pejorative term “queer.” Other than that she was simply expressing frustration with the passage of a gay marriage bill and letting us know her viewpoint on a still-controversial subject. Calling for her resignation is really over the top, although I understand why LGBT people are upset with her. Save your ire for the big fights. Perpetual indignation gets tiresome for the public. The right-wing made the same mistake when Chaz Bono was on “Dancing.” Some fights are just not worth the PR cost.

Incidentally, I once corresponded with someone on the internet whose handle was something like “flamingfag.” I addressed his as “Sir” and told him that I refused to call anyone a “fag.”

The mayor, whatever her politics, should realize that it’s not 1977 anymore.

22. Mary says

Kiwi, I want to thank you for pointing out the difference between the way LGBT people use “queer” and the way they use “gay” because I really thought the two terms were synonymous – seriously. I can see the use of “queer” by gay people as a tool for self-empowerment, but my own view is that this is probably akin to black people using the N word and then calling it racist when whites use it. They have a point philosophically about whey they are only they are entitled to the use of the word, but the real world doesn’t operate this way. The way the use of the n word only encourages racist whites, the use of “queer” by gay people makes it harder to stigmatize homophobia among straight people.

Most people aren’t interested in fine distinctions like this even when they’re morally valid. Langague is very hard to police.

Trying to be helpful here.

23. Dan says

Message sent:

“Greetings.

Now that us “queers” can get married here in Canada (since 2005; it’s old news hun), I think I’ll respect your (and Troy’s) irrelevant god-fearing views by never crossing the border anywhere near your town ever again. In fact, I think I’ll pass on the advice to my family and friends as well, and suggest they avoid doing any business there.

If your behaviour resembles that of a delinquent gay-basher from some backwater high school, I imagine the populace that elected you must not be any better. Goodness knows what kind of violent attention my partner and I might garner from your denizens, walking hand-in-hand down the street, an activity I’m sure many heterosexuals living in Troy are privileged enough to enjoy unimpeded on a daily basis.

Regards,

Dan

P.S. It’s not the word that matters, it’s the way it’s used.”

24. Jason says

The street is actually Big Beaver Rd. The closest exit off of I-75 to City Hall is Exit 69 – Big Beaver Rd.

Oh, I loved living off that exit as a child.

25. to towleroad webmaster says

Webmaster: Please read and clean up these comments. There’s at least one death threat. (Her comment was exceptionally offensive, and I hope she is hounded out of office as a result, but a death threat is of course not OK. I wouldn’t be surprised if the death threat is a fake post from a non-supporter of LGBT equality.)

26. Randy says

Well, Troy, it’s the holiday season, but you won’t be getting any shopping dollars from me. There are plenty of municipalities in this area that DON’T proudly proclaim bigotry.