Comments

1. One of the CA 36,000 says

And THIS is the Great White Hope of today’s Republican Party…?!?

This bloated, amoral Shriners’ Parade float of a “man” dares to give his thoughts on LGBTQ civil rights and marriage equality?!?

Someone on the “Stephanie Miller Show” noted that Gingrich is a profoundly stupid person’s idea of what a smart person is. And I have to concur.

But I’d add: Gingrich is pure evil, and the end of his unnatural life can’t come too soon. Our non-functioning Federal legislative branch is entirely due to this horrible pudding of a man. His smug, hate-filled moonface makes me want to vomit, then hit something. What a douchenozzle.

2. candideinnc says

No, people are born homosexual just as they are born heterosexual. The correct analogy is people choose to be celibate just as they choose to be adulterers.

3. jim says

If being gay is as much a choice as being cellibate, it stands to reason that so, too, is being straight. Right? And this is the f*&ktard that has a lesbian sister?

Perhaps the reason military leaders aren’t complaining about gays serving openly is that it’s not an issue to them, tho it apparently is to Newt.

Crawl back under your rock, Newtmonster.

4. Matt26 says

Not a day goes by without gop “hopefuls” talking about gays. Such experts. How could Newt know being gay is a choice? He chose to be straight? He should keep his mouth shut.

5. FunMe says

Many, especially his voting base, have been betrayed by Obama and will not be supporting him for reelection.

However, Obama will probably win because of idiots like that Newt running against him.

6. Rob says

All credit due to how the Grinch stole Christmas

“You’re a mean one, Mr. Gingrich. You really are a heel. You’re cuddly as a cactus, you’re as charming as an eel, Mr. Gingrich. You’re a bad banana with a greasy black peel.”

(the second verse is even better :)

“You’re a monster, Mr. Gingrich. You’re heart’s an empty hole. You’re brain is full of spiders. You’ve got garlic in your soul, Mr. Gingrich. I wouldn’t touch you with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole.”

7. William says

So, according to Gingrich, a gay person can chose to have sex with someone of the opposite gender as easily as a celibate can chose to break his vow; or as easily as a married person can break his.

8. Paul R says

Jeez, why all the hate?? I LOVE Newt. Nothing could be better for the future of our country and our rights than if he somehow became the candidate. They could call the election without waiting until November, because he is hated so much inside and outside his party. The GOP is terrified that he’ll be the candidate, so we should all be pro-Newt for a while. Such a stupid assface.

Here’s who “chooses” to be celibate: people who (for whatever reason) can’t get laid and people in the closet. The percentage of people living celibate lives is higher than the percentage who are LGBT, but that’s because of things like health issues (including mental health) or loveless marriages. The percentage who truly choose to be celibate is less than 1 percent when sex is defined as any form of physical intimacy (meaning, anything a step above a hug).

9. Mary says

Paul R, that’s an incredible statement. Only 1% of people choose to be celibate? People who don’t believe in sex before marriage remain celibate until marriage. I wouldn’t know what percent of the population they are, but I would guess that they are more than 1%. Contrary to what you’ve been led to believe, people like this are not extinct. I didn’t have sex until my early 30’s because that’s when I got married. And I didn’teven refrain for religious reasons. I just thought the idea of sex belonging only in marriage made the most sense. But I know that most “waiters” are motivated by religion.

10. Charles Lemos says

I’ve had sex with women and it did not feel right, let alone natural. Frankly I thought it was the most disgusting thing that I had ever done. With men, it feels right and to me it is quite natural.

The radical right can pontificate all they want, it won’t change the facts.

11. KPC says

Gay all my life and knew it when I was tiny. Me — born this way, without a doubt. But I know some people who feel that they did choose. So what if they did? I know the argument for equality seems easier to argue/defend when we discuss attraction as inate. Boy, I wish humans would grow up.

12. Paul R says

@Mary: read the final sentence of my post, including the part in parentheses. I clarified the point because I realize that it sounds astounding. But the studies I’ve read define celibacy differently. Those citing 1 percent are referring to anything beyond a hug—so if you kissed someone on the lips (or even if you just wanted to), you’d not be considered to be choosing celibacy.

There are also different measures based on the length of celibacy and the ages of those in the sample. For example, some studies exclude people above, say, 65. Many older people who have lost a spouse would be considered celibate, but it’s difficult to say how many truly choose to do so (perhaps because they lack options, perhaps not) or feel compelled to do so for social or religious reasons, etc. So they’re often excluded. Same goes for people who have, say, suffered sexual abuse. Most studies focus on people between 18 and 60 or 65.

Yes, I could have defined it more precisely, but I didn’t just make it up. And I would guess that you had some physical intimacy beyond a hug–but short of sex–before you got married. Even if it was just kissing someone. If you didn’t and had zero desire to at any point before your 30s, then you’re in a minority much smaller than 1 percent.

For the record, it’s estimated that 25% of straight Americans wait until marriage to have sex. The average age for first-time sex is 17 for girls and 16 for boys, with numbers obviously varying enormously by region, religion, income, culture, peer group, and many other factors.

13. says

Years ago, there was a company called E.F. Hutton who has an advertising slogan… “When E.F. Hutton speaks, everybody listens!” I chosen to Mute the Newt from the first time I ever heard this big bag of wind(mixed with a distinct smell of crap)speak as Speaker of the House. I did this with the “mute” button on my TV. It seams to me, the only people who listen to Newt, must have chosen to be bigots when they were born… and the only way to save themselves from this bad habit is to press the Mute button on their TV whenever the former Speaker of the House… speaks!

14. Shawn says

But wait, CNN was telling me just yesterday how this was such a positive campaign. I guess unless you are gay, a woman, poor, liberal, Jewish, Muslim, non-Christian it isn’t so positive. But y’know whatever.

15. Bob says

Ugh, he’s an idiot and has no right to speak on this issue. He’s not an authority. He’s NOT GAY and therefore has no idea what it means to be. ARROGANT, ARROGANT fat head.

16. Gregv says

It seems as if people who say such things are kind of “playing dumb” inside their own heads, pretending words have different meaning than what the educated world means when they use them. The Mormons have this thing where they say, “I’m not gay; I’m SSA.”. (SSA is a term they coined which means exactly the same thing as the world means when we use the word “gay.”. But it makes them feel that gays are the “other.”.
    So even if a gay person is celibate but happy and the “SSA person” is sneaking off to have sex with other “SSA people,” well, at least the latter feels guilty and hates himself, so that’s somehow better.

@PaulR: I don’t believe for a minute that 25% of Americans never have sexual experiences for their whole lives except in marriage.
    I’ve known pro-celibacy people, and they have this way of justifying that if they do this or that, it won’t be “sex” per se, would it?, because, you know, it’s just “oral” or it’s just “anal,” or because they used a condom it’s not sex, or because they pulled out in less than a full minute it’s not sex, etc., etc.

17. Gregv says

@PaulR: I’m not sure if I get what you mean. My point was that when people are simply asked whether they’ve had “actual” sex, people come up with their own definition of what is “actually” having sex (a case in point would be when Bill Clinton clarified under cross-examination that Lewinski had had sex with him but he hadn’t had sex with her.)
    The pro-celibacy crowd is notorious for under-counting their own sexual experiences.
    I know I’ve missed some studies, but every one I’ve seen on this issue was completely useless by being non-specific about it’s definitions of what even IS “sex” and by lacking any scientific process of verifying the data gathered.

18. Jerry6 says

What a sad senile end to someone many people looked up to. He is now no different than an aged actor who can no longer remember his lines for his greatest triumph. Get off the stage, Newt.