Gay Marriage | News | Sinead O'Connor

Sinead O'Connor Ends Marriage After 16 Days

Irish singer/songwriter Sinead O'Connor has ended her marriage after just 16 days.

SineadShe writes, on her official website:

Within 3 hours of the ceremony being over the marriage was kyboshed by the behaviour of certain people in my husband's life. And also by a bit of a wild ride i took us on looking for a bit of a smoke of weed for me wedding night as I don't drink. My husband was enormously wounded and very badly effected by that experience and also by the attitude of those close to him toward our marriage. It became apparent to me that if he were to stay with me he would be losing too much to bear. And that being with me was not going to serve him positively , career wise or any other wise. I saw his life leave him because of how people close to him reacted. And I can't take anyone's life. And a woman wants to be a joy to her husband. So.. U love someone? Set them free.

He is a wonderful man. I love him very much. I'm sorry I'm not a more regular woman. I truly believe though it is painful to admit, we made a mistake rushing into getting married, for altruistic reasons, and weren't aware or prepared for the consequences on my husband's life and the lives of those close to him. He has been terribly unhappy and I have therefore ended the marriage. I think he is too nice to do so. And too nice to trap.

Previously...
Sinead O'Connor Calls for Full Criminal Investigation of The Pope [tr]

Comments

1. SHE'S GONE KARDASHIAN!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 27, 2011 11:07:20 AM

2. ....but it's us gays ruining the meaning of marriage. Just sayin'

Posted by: Mike | Dec 27, 2011 11:11:05 AM

3. I think anyone ending a statement with "just sayin'" should be shot.

Posted by: Stacy | Dec 27, 2011 11:15:24 AM

4. Brutally tender.

Posted by: uffda | Dec 27, 2011 11:38:13 AM

5. Nothing compares ... nothing compares ... 2 U ... or U ... or U ...

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Dec 27, 2011 11:38:17 AM

6. i liked her one big hit and all but there's always been something about her that's annoyed me.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 27, 2011 11:56:59 AM

7. No one should get married. Especially not crazy people.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 27, 2011 12:05:26 PM

8. That's funny, Mike, and true.

Posted by: trees | Dec 27, 2011 12:06:19 PM

9. On the bright side she seems to have stopped dating abusers. Although exclusively dating therapists would be a bit extreme, whatever works I guess.

Posted by: Karl | Dec 27, 2011 12:24:21 PM

10. I guess marriage was more difficult to Sinead than the difficult brown.

Posted by: gregg | Dec 27, 2011 12:29:18 PM

11. This woman has severe mental problems, and needs to stop trying to explain herself and her choices to others; it always just manages to make everything worse. (She also tends to blame everyone around her--the church, the media, the music industry, family members, etc.--for her more inflammatory remarks and brouhaha eruptions.)

Wait a day or so, and there will probably be her usual pattern of a follow-up statement: "Oh, that's not what I meant...what I MEANT to say was...oh the media misquoted me...oh I'm so misunderstood, poor me blah blah blah."

Posted by: Dback | Dec 27, 2011 12:59:50 PM

12. She's got more balls than all of us here combined. She stood up to the catholic church on live tv and was utterly vilified for it. She's kept her involvement in denouncing the church's child abuse cases, and for that she's a hero in my book.
    Aside from that, she's an amazing artist, which is why we listen to her in the first place.
    And lastly, however she chooses to deal with marriage is her own freaking business. I couldn't care less.

Posted by: topher | Dec 27, 2011 1:04:27 PM

13. If gays married and divorced in a week or such, we'd be called flakey... she's just batshit...

Posted by: SeanR | Dec 27, 2011 1:24:45 PM

14. That is one damn lucky guy! At least she seems to do the right thing every now and again. He should heed my tag line.

Posted by: Don't take it personally | Dec 27, 2011 1:37:44 PM

15. For the record, her attack on the Catholic church was for its treatment of women, not children.

Posted by: anon | Dec 27, 2011 2:52:36 PM

16. @anon: read some more. It was in direct relation to the vatican's cover-up of sex abuse by priests in Ireland. Stuff that's taken 20 years to actually be talked about - as of this year -, she was there from the beginning fighting the fight, and she did this while on top of her career.
    So yeah, I can't really think of any other musician who's done as much for what's right as this woman.

Posted by: topher | Dec 27, 2011 3:32:45 PM

17. (I suggest checking out her SNL performance of 'War', in which she changed the lyrics from 'racism' to 'child abuse', and that's when she tore up the picture of the pope -- it's on youtube).

Posted by: topher | Dec 27, 2011 3:38:44 PM

18. I really think lesbian hair took a nose dive when it forsook Sinead for Justin Bieber. Love her. Dear Sinead, Please keep on being you.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Dec 27, 2011 10:35:01 PM