News | Steve Jobs | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #1024

BILLION DOLLAR HIPPIE: A BBC made-for-TV documentary about Steve Jobs.

SILENT NIGHT: A cat and dog carol.

SOME PEOPLE: Mama Roses through the years.

LAUGHTER IS CONTAGIOUS: At least, in Berlin it is.

For recent Guides to the Tube, click HERE.

Comments

1. The Mermanator often imitated but never duplicated (or topped). I didn’t realize how badly Patti LuPone stank in the role until I saw this compilation.

Posted by: ggreen | Dec 16, 2011 4:59:14 PM

2. Patti is awesome. Ethel was a one trick pony. I do think, however, I would have killed to see Judy play this role.

Posted by: palisc | Dec 16, 2011 5:38:29 PM

3. They forgot Googie Gomez. She was the best!

Posted by: JD | Dec 16, 2011 6:07:19 PM

4. Man, Judy was fierce! in that little snippet. I wonder why Rosalind Russel wasn't included.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Dec 16, 2011 6:08:18 PM

5. No Kurt Hummel?

Posted by: Michael | Dec 16, 2011 6:11:57 PM

6. Patti LuPone was and is a fierce of nature. She should have been given the movie role.

Posted by: Matt26 | Dec 16, 2011 6:45:40 PM

7. Russell didn't sing it--she was dubbed by Lisa Kirk.

Posted by: Ronny | Dec 16, 2011 6:50:41 PM

8. Bernie nailed it on bway. Had a totally different take on the role. A more sexy Mama Rose.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 16, 2011 8:00:13 PM

9. Bette did her usual cheese-up in this. Why such an angry face, Bette? Why does she usually look so angry?
    I've been a lapsed fan of the Midler ever since her craven interview in Vanity Fair in the late 80's when she spoke of her shame and 'guilt' at having performed at the baths in the 70's. "I feel bad, because I made it all seem like it was fun." Or some such nonsense.
    In the same chat, she claimed to have lost 'over 100' friends to AIDS. Who on earth has ever even had 100 friends, let alone 100 friends lost to AIDS. It's insulting to those of us that lost 1, 3, 12, 20 or more true people in our lives.
    I'm bitter towards Bette, as you can tell. She apologised for her gay fan base during the epidemic years, (and was one of the stars who would not commit to any fundraiser in San Francisco in the early days) then released a record, Bath House Betty, once her film career had stalled.
    If you saw her on the Kathy Griffin show, you saw a prickly, defensive, and insecure woman, who was hugely dislikable. So sad, because most of us loved her so much.

Posted by: harriesrichard@hotmail.com | Dec 16, 2011 9:21:01 PM

10. Ethel had it all over Patti because she sang the words as written. Merman wasn't some "lazy phraser" that sounded like she was chewing cud while singing on stage like Lupone.

Posted by: ggreen | Dec 16, 2011 10:07:26 PM

11. I agree with Michael-no Kurt?

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Dec 16, 2011 10:46:07 PM

12. Thank you for that brilliant piece on Steve Jobs.

Posted by: modern meet | Dec 17, 2011 12:40:46 AM

13. Judy is in a class of her own, but Bernadette Peters and Patti LuPone were the next best for me.

There will always be a special place in my heart for Angela Lansbury, too. She's a wonder, as much because she's a total warm and free spirit, as well as hilarious, as she is a talented singer.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 17, 2011 1:16:28 AM

14. looking forward to the jobs piece later but...

put me down in the WHAT, no chris colfer? column.

this is no glee fanatic speaking, 'm barely a fan. what ryan murphy et al have cobbled together is a tiny simulacrum of the old hollywood studio system which developed young talent by putting them together in flimsily plotted "juvenile" films. listing even a fraction of the major "stars" coming out of this system, pernicious though it may have been, would be exhausting. older readers know them, and younger readers who are film buffs do too.

some of the glee cast are already established as broadway performers, but the jump from broadway to larger audiences is often difficult, or in some cases impossible. not only are the fresh new faces getting experience and exposure, but some talents well established on broadway are welcomed on board and gaining vast hitherto undreamed of new audiences.

returning to the topic at hand, chris colfer sang the hell out of ROSE'S TURN in that tiny bit adding layers of new meaning never intended by the authors but enriching it immeasurably and a piece of that surely belongs in this collage.

Posted by: bandanajack | Dec 17, 2011 11:19:16 AM

15. @bandanajack - Amen! People can slag off Glee all they like, but getting access to classic musical theater numbers sung by really awesomely talented performers is a minor miracle on TV. My favorite eight minutes of TV ever were Colfer singing "A House is Not a Home" followed by the duet medley of "One Less Bell to Answer/House is Not a Home" by Kristin Chenoweth and Matthew Morrison. Awesome. How many tweens are getting an introduction to these amazing songs because of Glee? All of them, I'd think.

And raise your hand if you started laughing watching the infectious laugh video. That was lovely.

Posted by: Book 7 | Dec 17, 2011 3:41:47 PM

16. Nice to read all the comments on my clip - and thanks to the few that said something nice about my work!

What's with all the Chris Colfer stuff? He never sang this song, did he? I know he sang "Rose's Turn" but this is not a clip of that song.

Rosalind was not included because she was dubbed.

Posted by: Mark | Dec 22, 2011 12:58:27 PM