Lance Bass | RuPaul | Transgender

RuPaul Likes The Word 'Tranny'

Picture 32RuPaul is done with political correctness. In an interview with Michelangelo Signorile doomed to get a lot of ugly blowback -- and which was recapitulated by Signorile at at HuffPo -- she rails against the tranny taboo ...

On Lance Bass's apology for using the word "tranny" Rupaul says: "It's ridiculous! It's ridiculous!... I love the word "tranny"...And I hate the fact that he's apologized. I wish he would have said, 'F-you, you tranny jerk!'"

... and against criticism of ABC's defunct Work It ...

... Of the ABC sitcom, "Work It," in which two straight men dress in drag in order to get jobs and which has been criticized by gay and transgender activists for mocking transgender women, RuPaul implores the activists: "Don't take life so seriously... We live in a culture where everyone is offended by everything."

... while stumping for the new season of her show, RuPaul's Drag Race, which she says is "influenced by the Gaga-esqe movement of today." And she's not just saying that. Signorile posted a slideshow of this season's contestants, and every single one of them looks like a permutation of Gaga.

Comments

1. What an obnoxious moron.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jan 14, 2012 3:01:07 PM

2. Is this news? He does have a song out called Tranny Chasers.

Posted by: Thomas | Jan 14, 2012 3:17:17 PM

3. I agree with Ru.

Posted by: aneas t. | Jan 14, 2012 3:18:37 PM

4. I think most of us agree with him. Love his free spirit.

Posted by: Dan | Jan 14, 2012 3:19:14 PM

5. I used to get upset when my friends called me "gay," so one day I let them know that I prefer the term "cock-chasing butt monkey." It really offends me that they still call me "gay."

Posted by: BABH | Jan 14, 2012 3:19:57 PM

6. Out here in SF, one of the more popular late night live shows was called Trannyshack. I'm surprised it's not PC. Then again, I'm not surprised its not PC.

As my daddy (biological) used to say, "it's not what you say, it's how you say it."

Or as Joe Jackson sang: "don't call me a faggot
    not unless you are a friend"

Posted by: KiltBear | Jan 14, 2012 3:29:18 PM

7. Anyone who pays any attention to Rue Paul has Attention Dementia Disorder in the service of trailer trash TV. Thumb. Click. Zzzzz.

Posted by: uffda | Jan 14, 2012 3:35:16 PM

8. Yep.

"Work It" was more exhausting and redundant than offensive. By itself, a man wearing a dress isn't a premise. "Tootsie" made it interesting by talking about how little a man considers the difficulties of being a woman in a sexist world. "Work It" just had a lot of Venus/Mars jokes from a million years ago.

As for "tranny" (and Ru's "She-Mail" segment on her show), I've got to agree that the word doesn't merit a permanent shelving. It references transvestites and drag queens every bit as much as transgender folks, and no one group owns it. (I know there's TV/TG/drag overlap out there in the world, and that's great.)

Posted by: AdamA | Jan 14, 2012 3:39:22 PM

9. PS I'll add that, as with most words, who's saying it and how and to whom matter a lot.

PPS Girl knows how to get publicity.

Posted by: AdamA | Jan 14, 2012 3:41:22 PM

10. Work it, Rupaul. You rule.

Posted by: barney | Jan 14, 2012 3:41:35 PM

11. Ru, the voice of reason. I agree.

Posted by: Oliver | Jan 14, 2012 3:49:01 PM

12. If someone tells me calling them something or other hurts their feelings, I respect that. The group of people finding "t-----" offensive is large enough for me to not use it (if I ever did). Doing differently would be rude. I know plenty of words I don't want people calling me. Saying I shouldn't be "so sensitive" and calling me them anyway is uncivilized.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 14, 2012 3:51:18 PM

13. chantay you stay.

Posted by: david | Jan 14, 2012 3:51:19 PM

14. RuPaul is an opportunist and a tool of the oppressor, with her tired-ass drag diva stereotypes. Thank God we have an increasingly activist Transsexual population that takes crass exploitation seriously. Their high degree of consciousness puts the so-called "Gay community" to shame.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Jan 14, 2012 4:04:38 PM

15. There is probably a huge difference in what you think of this word based on where you come from. If you're in drag entertainment, it's one opinion, if your actually transitioning into another sex, it's another. And I can see both points.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 14, 2012 4:22:03 PM

16. for those who don't know, "Stuffed Animal" believes that Jews go to hell when they die.

take from that what you will. "tools of the oppressor"? "crass exploitation"?

right. said the Jesus freak. ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 14, 2012 4:22:05 PM

17. RuPaul a "tool of the oppressor"? You mean like ex-gay therapists, the prison system, bond rating agencies, immigration officials, NDAA, and drone strikes? Boy, it makes me look at Drag Race in a whole new light.

To be honest, I still don't quite get the substance of the controversy, but I suspect that the "tranny" debate is a lot of misplaced energy. There are a lot of allies out there who respect trans folks, support them in their daily lives and politically, and have used or do use the word "tranny". So be patient, at least with your allies. If you're willing to thumb your nose at RuPaul, you're settling sail on one tiny ship...

Posted by: Chris | Jan 14, 2012 4:39:59 PM

18. there are also trans people who use the term tranny. i'm a gay male. i don't use it because, clearly, it's not my word to use. if using it has negative consquences, they're negative consequences that won't actually affect ME, so i refrain from potentially contributing to someone ELSE's troubles.

but i also self-identify as Queer and lord knows some insecure ninnies have a problem with that. which is odd. i don't label them, queer, i don't identify them with the term - i SELF-identify.

not all trans people feel the same way about being trans just as not all gay people feel the same way about being gay.

werk.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 14, 2012 4:47:51 PM

19. Just out of curiosity (and this may have been addressed by other threads), how do those saying that they have a right to say it feel about the use of "gay," as in "that's so gay"? I feel that the anger over "tranny" is similar to the anger over the pejorative use of "gay."

Posted by: DLRnATL | Jan 14, 2012 4:55:31 PM

20. to join DLRNATL....i'm just wondering why a bunch of non-trans people are telling trans people how they should feel about a word that, to most minds, is a reference to trans people.

seriously. a group of gay men telling trans men and women how to feel? fail.

that's why i don't use the word. not my word to use. and you know, i don't feel like my life is "missing something" because i'm not walking around saying "tranny"

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 14, 2012 5:02:40 PM

21. @DLRNATL

Except that it's not the same thing at all. "Tranny" itself is not offensive. Could it be used offensively? Yes, so could almost any other word--that's so white. that's so black. that's so Jewish. Are these "words" offensive or is context required to determine whether the statements as a whole are offensive? I promise you, the latter is the case.

Honestly, people need to get over being all up in arms over the use of the word tranny. It's not offensive unless it's meant to be offensive, and if it's meant to be offensive, you should be angry at the sentiment, not the word. Honestly, this is why it's becoming harder and harder to take the transgendered community seriously, they are becoming the PETA of the equal rights movement.

And for the record, I have many down to earth, intelligent transgendered friends who have no issues with the use of the word tranny as long as it's not meant to be insulting.

Posted by: zydrate | Jan 14, 2012 5:07:36 PM

22. go ru

Posted by: DAVID | Jan 14, 2012 5:24:08 PM

23. I love RuPaul. Anyone ever notice that the only ones who get insulted by slang like tranny are ones who aren't actually transvestite or transgender? Its the activists who are out there "fighting" for the people who are supposed to be insulted, and yet the people who SHOULD be insulted really aren't. And ladies and gents, and those of you who have yet to make up your mind (little Kinky Boots humour there), that is political correctness. People assuming what should be insulting to certain groups they don't really know much about.

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 14, 2012 5:31:46 PM

24. I agree, Stephen. My TS friends use the word. A word cannot "belong" to a group, I'm sorry. Black people shouldn't say "n----r" if they don't want other people saying it either.

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 14, 2012 5:57:34 PM

25. I dunno ... let me say this: I have a good friend, Chinese/male, and he owns a restaurant with his wife. My husband and I will go there for dinner (tho not so much any more). My friend's wife repeatedly refers to me as my husband's girlfriend and tells others that I am my husband's girlfriend. "Where's your girlfriend? ... Are you here with your girlfriend? This is Greg's girlfriend.." she will say when introducing me to others. She knows we are gay and a married same-sex couple. I correct her and she laughs it off. When I tell my friend that I am insulted he asks why and I say it is rude, degrading and discriminatory. "Oh, she thinks she is being funny..."

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 14, 2012 6:02:54 PM