Chris Christie | Gay Marriage | New Jersey | News | Piers Morgan

Chris Christie Tells Piers Morgan He's Not an Anti-Gay Bigot: VIDEO

Cnn_christie

In an interview recorded before he vetoed New Jersey's marriage equality bill on Friday, Piers Morgan asked Governor Chris Christie about his position opposing marriage equality, why he's vetoing the bill, if he thinks his decision could affect his political future, and if people have the right to call him a bigot.

Said Christie, in the interview to air tonight: “I would not compromise my principles for politics. You’re saying, will it become politically unpopular to have the position I’m having? If it does, so be it. I don’t compromise my principles for politics."

On whether or not his views on same-sex marriage make him a bigot, Christie adds, "It’s my belief, it’s my core belief. And I tell people that. And my friends, whether they be homosexual or not, they know me and they know I’m not bigoted.”

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. LIAR, LIAR, you're a BIGOT through and through...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Feb 21, 2012 3:18:04 PM

2. does he refer to his straight friends as "heterosexual"? you are a bigot and a glutton. enjoy hell when you die from a massive heart attack you drain on resources. one just wonders how many starving children could be fed on what he eats per sitting.

Posted by: M. Bergeron | Feb 21, 2012 3:19:41 PM

3. but you are Blanch you are a bigot

Posted by: George | Feb 21, 2012 3:21:08 PM

4. He's definitely not anti-eating.

Posted by: TyN | Feb 21, 2012 3:25:45 PM

5. Is he trying to redefine the word bigot? Of course he's bigoted, look at his actions. His words are meaningless.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Feb 21, 2012 3:27:33 PM

6. Yep not a bigot nor a guy with a 32 inch waist who can walk past the buffet without stopping more than onece....

Posted by: Sebastian | Feb 21, 2012 3:31:53 PM

7. Here's the thing that bigots and racists don't understand: you don't get to decide whether or not you think you're one. That's something that gets decided by others on the basis of your actions.

It's a common theme for bigots and homophobes to claim "Oh, I have gay friends and they don't have any problems with me." Where are these so-called friends you claim to have? We never see them. Or if we do, they turn out to be self-loathing Uncle Toms like Babeau, or Liz Cheney, who put their political affiliation and lust for power before their civil rights.

FU Christie. You ARE a bigot. There is no escaping that, and you can try to deny it all you want, but it is the collective view of millions of GLBTs and our straight allies that have the moral standing to say it to your face. The sooner you and your hateful ilk are relegated to the dustbin of history, the better for the rest of humanity. I hope you choke on your food so that someone with actual brains and a heart that hasn't been enlarged by cardiovascular disease can take your place and DO THE RIGHT THING.

Posted by: atomic | Feb 21, 2012 3:32:07 PM

8. Of course he thinks he isn't. First he has to cope with his awerness of himself. THEN he can understand he is simply a bigot.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 21, 2012 3:38:15 PM

9. I don't understand those of you who, while trying to make a legitimate point, insist on attacking him for a physical attribute. It is shallow, and makes you no better than he is.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 21, 2012 3:41:38 PM

10. david duke had black friends

Posted by: h | Feb 21, 2012 3:47:05 PM

11. i bet he hates the sin, but loves the sinner

Posted by: h | Feb 21, 2012 3:47:56 PM

12. goldstein told him he's not a bigot

Posted by: h | Feb 21, 2012 3:50:37 PM

13. His obvious "choice" to be morbidly obese doesn't seem to concern him nearly as much as our "choice" to marry. Of course he views himself as a non-bigot...and probably "pleasantly plump". Why would he want to see the truth of himself...it's fukin ugly as sin.

Posted by: Paul B. | Feb 21, 2012 3:50:49 PM

14. I don't care that it is his core belief. What I care about is that he is forcing his core belief on ALL of the citizens of New Jersey. Jane Elliott said it best, "If you don't believe in marriage equality, then YOU should not marry someone of the same sex". But don't stop others who have a different core belief.

Posted by: Peater | Feb 21, 2012 3:54:13 PM

15. I only hopehe ends up with one of his children turning out to be gay! Then he'll find out if he's a bigot. He has no family member he knows of who is.

I once had a heated email exchange about this with Maggie Srivastav of NOM and I asked her if she would support discrimination against her son if he were gay. All I received was silence, she refused to answer.

Posted by: robert in nyc | Feb 21, 2012 3:59:01 PM

16. In the style of Bette Davis as Baby Jane, "But ya are bigot Chris, ya are..."
    People who care about LGBT people don't put up road blocks to full equality. People who are bigoted think voting on people's personal civil rights is the correct thing to do.

Posted by: Brad | Feb 21, 2012 4:00:48 PM

17. Actually, the leader of Garden State Equality (GSE) said that Governor Christie "doesn't have a bigoted bone in his body?" I suppose GSE respected his veto too. Probably one of his supporters.

Posted by: robert in nyc | Feb 21, 2012 4:02:39 PM

18. A "principled stand" that some of your fellow citizens don't deserve equality IS bigotry - made even worse if you actually have gay friends who you can look in the eye and say "You don't deserve the same rights I do."

Posted by: Lymis | Feb 21, 2012 4:03:18 PM

19. If you have to say you're not bigoted, it's usually because you are.

And, no, blaming it on your religion or beliefs doesn't get you out of your bigotry.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 21, 2012 4:04:22 PM

20. Mike wrote: "I don't understand those of you who, while trying to make a legitimate point, insist on attacking him for a physical attribute. It is shallow, and makes you no better than he is."

The reason why it gets pointed out is because it underscores the "nature vs. nurture" argument that is so often the foundation of anti-gay bigotry. The homophobes essentially base their hatred of gays on the notion that being gay is a choice, and therefore according to their reasoning (such as it is), this whole conflict could be avoided if we simply "chose" not to be gay.

But WE know that being gay isn't a choice. Certainly, it is no more a choice than choosing what religion to follow, or our choice to eat healthy and exercise. And so that's why calling out Governor Christie for being morbidly obese *IS* fair play. Because if his decision to deny us equal rights is based on his "moral beliefs," then we have just as much right to judge him on something that he surely has more control to change than we have over our sexuality.

Now does that make sense?

Posted by: atomic | Feb 21, 2012 4:06:34 PM

21. Then he shouldn't be in public office because his core beliefs don't represent the public at large. He was supposed to leave his religion in the Church and not take it with him to use against his own constituents. I don't understand why New Jersey citizens don't throw this guy out of office. He has no credibility.

Posted by: OS2guy | Feb 21, 2012 4:07:32 PM

22. No, I don't believe Christie is necessarily a homophobic bigot. I do believe him to be a hopeless opportunist who is afraid if he signed the marriage bill he would be ostracized by the more strident members of his own party. Basically, I give him zero out of ten for acting on principles of any sort.

By and by, Mike (above) is right. Ad hominem remarks about Christie's weight do nothing to demonstrate our collective ability to engage in fair argument.

Posted by: Jonathan Oz | Feb 21, 2012 4:22:48 PM

23. People are of the mistaken opinion that because they have what they think are good reasons for their bigotry, they are not bigoted. So my fellow Southerners who see lots of Blacks in prison believe that all Blacks are prone to criminality. They look at gays from the perspective of their religion and see us as sinners. Frankly, I think Christie is worse than that. I think he realizes bigotry against gays is wrong, and disapproves of it. Unfortunately, he is an opportunistic cheap politician without the principles of a pimp, so he is perfectly willing to use other people's bigotry to advance his career.

Posted by: candideinnc | Feb 21, 2012 4:30:26 PM

24. I have always felt that Christie is a prime example of the bullied become the bully. Growing up was probably hell for him, and he was more likely than not terrorized on the playground.

Now he has power and he is going to "get" all those mean kids who beat him up back then.

Christie has more issues than a magazine.

Posted by: Esther Blodgett | Feb 21, 2012 4:32:08 PM

25. This tool is much worse than any bigot; he actually believes that rights to equal treatment under the law should be a subject of popular vote.

That is just flabbergasting.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 21, 2012 4:35:41 PM