Abercrombie & Fitch | Afghanistan | Barack Obama | Iran | John F. Kennedy | Models | Religion | Steven Tyler | Tyler Clementi

BigGayDeal.com

NEWS: Tyler, Ravi, And Wei; The Doings Of Drones; Iran; Models; Channing Tatum

Picture 13
Road The New Yorker
has published a long, thoughtful story suggesting that Tyler Clementi wasn't killed by homophobes. At least, not the way we might think.

It became widely understood that a closeted student at Rutgers had committed suicide after video of him having sex with a man was secretly shot and posted online. In fact, there was no posting, no observed sex, and no closet. But last spring, shortly before Molly Wei made a deal with prosecutors, Ravi was indicted on charges of invasion of privacy (sex crimes), bias intimidation (hate crimes), witness tampering, and evidence tampering. Bias intimidation is a sentence-booster that attaches itself to an underlying crime—usually, a violent one. Here the allegation, linked to snooping, is either that Ravi intended to harass Clementi because he was gay or that Clementi felt he’d been harassed for being gay. As he sat in the courtroom, his chin propped awkwardly on his fist, his predicament could be seen either as a state’s admirably muscular response to the abusive treatment of a vulnerable young man or as an attempt to criminalize teen-age odiousness by using statutes aimed at people more easily recognizable as hate-mongers and perverts.

Road Don't have a job? Blame Obama. (But if you've got one, thank a GOP governor.)

Road " ... the U.S. first kills people with drones, then fires on the rescuers and others who arrive at the scene where the new corpses and injured victims lie."

Road Barack Obama's really insistent that war with Iran is a last option. Is he protesting too much?

Road Read as a snickering Ivy-leaguer demonstrates his contempt for underpaid retail slaves.

Road T-Rex is incompetent but adorable.

Road The legacy of the Kennedy presidency just gets weirder by the year:

Mimi Alford, then Mimi Beardsley, interned at the White House in the summer of 1962, quickly caught the president’s eye. The 19-year-old joined the 45-year-old president for a noon swim four days into her internship. Later that day, he took her virginity in “Mrs. Kennedy’s room.”

“After he finished, he hitched up his pants and smiled at me.” Alford says their sex life was “varied and fun” and describes an affair that was more than just sex. They apparently spent an “inordinate amount of time taking baths” and listened to music together. He confided in her during key personal and professional moments, such as when his infant son died and during the Cuban Missile Crisis. But he never kissed her on the lips.

At one point, during another noon swim, Kennedy allegedly asked Alford to “take care” of an aide ...

Road This model has a 20-inch waist and a corset. Thoughts?

Picture 17 Road Meet a lesbian atheist single mother from Point, TX (pop. 792), along with other nonbelievers in difficult situations:

... One by one, members of [Harry's] new family turned against him because of his lack of belief. Harry doesn’t see any of his American family any more. “The last one I saw was my cousin, Ronnie. Every time he invites me over to dinner, he turns to religion. Last time I saw him, I didn’t back out, I took him full on.

“I’ve been told things like ‘I hope you have an accident, die and go to hell.’ So that’s what I’ve been up against.”

Road Madonna's performance was fine, but maybe a little too classy. Football's over the top! A little dumb! Kind of crazy! Arguably unnexessary! Kind of like this!

Road Last night, Tatum Channing stripped during his on SNL monologue. Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. Those are terrible pants

Posted by: Bubba | Feb 6, 2012 12:02:16 AM

2. No matter how his defense team spins it, the evidence is clear. Dharun Ravi harassed, belittled, degraded, demoralized and humilated Tyler Clementi for being the gay person he was - to the point of suicide. Dharun Ravi deserves to spend the next 50 years in prison and then, upon release, be deported promptly from the U.S. to India where he belongs.

If you've got a job thank Obama and the Democrats because they were the people who stopped the Republicans from raping the financial hell out of America.

I too had an affair with Jack Kennedy even though I was not born during his time on earth, he knew me in another life and we had secret sex every other day while he was in the White House. His sexual drive was insatiable.

Madonna's entire act was another artist rip off. In this case of the entry by Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra. Cee Lo Green and Nicki Minaj came off as the idiots they have always been. The woman has no originality. If she can rip it off, she does.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 6, 2012 12:29:40 AM

3. "waist" not "waste"

Posted by: candide001 | Feb 6, 2012 12:36:14 AM

4. I found very little about that article that was a classist critique by an Ivy Leaguer of Abercrombie and Fitch's staff. The one paragraph that edges it is the one where he notes that his anecdotes about Abercrombie and Fitch and Hemmingway or liking Zoolander fell flat. The rest pretty much avoided critiquing the staff at all and instead critiquing the corporate mentality imposed upon them. I thought it was an interesting bit of fluff about the cloudiness of the A&F brand, also noting their history of racist hiring practices and one-dimensional branding strategy.

Posted by: luminum | Feb 6, 2012 2:03:21 AM

5. I strongly encourage Towle Road to read out to Terry McCoy to see if he is willing to provide a photo of himself in his tight jeans and lima bean Chuck Taylors.

Posted by: JC | Feb 6, 2012 3:05:33 AM

6. OS2GUY: Did you ever consider that perhaps Madonna's entrance was an homage to Elizabeth Taylor rather than a 'rip off'? After all, the two were friendly, and it seems clear Madonna looked up to Elizabeth Taylor. So, following Taylor's death, why shouldn't Madonna recreate one of E.T.'s more memorable scenes?! I thought it was brilliant.

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 6, 2012 3:38:58 AM

7. It was an awesome entrance, and I agree that it was homage. And I'm not a Madonna fanboy by any means, aside from Ray of Light.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 6, 2012 4:20:43 AM

8. Channing Tatum, not Tatum Channing.

Posted by: contragenic | Feb 6, 2012 5:34:32 AM

9. LMAO

"Tatum Channing"...Carol's nephew?

Posted by: Brian | Feb 6, 2012 8:11:15 AM

10. "...there was no posting, no observed sex, and no closet."

I think that's a very limited understanding of the closet. Just because Tyler Clementi managed to share his secret with a few people doesn't mean it no longer was a secret. I don't think he could comfortably be openly gay among the rest of the students. So there was a closet.

Posted by: Eugene | Feb 6, 2012 9:04:41 AM

11. It also doesn't mean that he wanted anyone who wanted to be able to watch him have sex. He may have been out to his friends, but he didn't sign up for a public access sex show. I think most people (including the potential jurors) would be horrified at the thought of someone streaming video of them having sex.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Feb 6, 2012 11:05:05 AM

12. Tyler Clementi was a victim of two very sick people and Ravi needs to be sent to prison for life. He'll be very popular there.

I loved Madonna's show.

The compiler for Towleroad needs to check him/her self regarding the word "legacy" vis-a-vis the Presidency of JFK. Alford should fess up to what she was: a whore who TRIED to bed JFK and failed. So, now she makes sh*t up with no corroboration but her questionable "recollections".

I love Channing Tatum.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 6, 2012 3:05:06 PM

13. Hey, Jamal49 -- given your ability to conjure up authoritative insights into the heretofore private actions of Mr. Ravi and Ms. Alford, I think we're all disappointed you didn't fill us in about what you know about Obama's plan for Iran.

PS - Despite its popularity on the crude joke circuit, rape in prison is NOT a legal or appropriate punishment for anyone for any crime.

Posted by: buster | Feb 6, 2012 3:39:04 PM

14. I thought the New Yorker story leaned a little at first but it did cover the basic facts of the case. It's amazing how they have a record of almost every time either one of them mentioned the other via online communications and texts from the day they found out they would be roommates. With all the new info that the story had, it left out the post Tyler made about why HE felt Ravi did it. "And so I feel like it was look at what a f*g my roommate is". This shows the victim himself felt he was being singled out and strongly supports the bias intimidation charges.

Posted by: Sammy | Feb 6, 2012 5:58:26 PM