2012 Election | Barack Obama | Basketball | Iran | Rick Santorum | Ronald Reagan | Saudi Arabia

BigGayDeal.com

NEWS: Anthony Shadid, Jeremy Lin, Stephen Colbert, And 'The Bodyguard Musical'

Shadid
Road Gary Kamiya's beautiful tribute to deceased Times reporter Anthony Shadid:

... The fate of small people like Karima and her family, unknown, of no political consequence, is easy to forget as nations rush to war and powerful men plan and redraw maps. “Ordinary people are, as Karima recognized, only pawns on a giant board; if one or one thousand of them are swept off, no one notices.” It is one of the functions of journalism, perhaps the noblest, simply to bear witness to these forgotten ones.

Anthony Shadid bore that witness. He died at the age of 43 on the front lines of his profession, of an asthma attack while reporting inside violence-ravaged Syria. He joins the honored list of reporters who gave their lives to give the world the truth. Every journalist, and every American who cares not just the consequences of American wars, but about humanity, owes him a debt. His loss is incalculable.

Road Iran to French and British companies: "No more oil for you." (Saudi Arabia to same French and British companies: "Cool! Buy from us!")

Road Surprising things we learned from Rick Santorum this weekend: 1) It is good for presidents to govern according to a theology; 2) Barack Obama governs according to a theology; 2) But his theology's no good, because it's "not Christian":

Obama's agenda is "not about you. It's not about your quality of life. It's not about your jobs. It's about some phony ideal. Some phony theology. Oh, not a theology based on the Bible. A different theology," Santorum told supporters of the conservative Tea Party movement at a Columbus hotel.

Road Harris poll shows that America now believes Ronald Reagan was the greatest president since WWII. NewsMax thinks this is great news.

Road (Naturally, NewsMax is keeping mum on Harris's latest re: Obama's electoral chances.)

Road JoeMyGod on some ugly possible fallout over the Sheriff Babeu story.

Road The Bodyguard Musical. It exists, and has for a while, but it seems to be on a publicity kick this week.

Road Basketball! When the Jeremy Lin-led Knicks concluded their miraculous winning streak with an ugly loss to the Hornets on Friday, ESPN led with the headline "A Chink In The Armor." Those responsible have been terminated.

Road (Just for the record, the armor's fine: This afternoon, Lin and co. beat the league's defending champs up and down the court.)

Garcia Road John Glenn and Project Mercury vets reunite on the 50th anniversary of Glenn's orbital flight.

Road A libertarian TV network?

Road Omaha wants to ban employment discrimination against LGBT employees. Nebraska's legislature wants to stop them.

Road Gael Garcia Bernal will be Zorro.

Road Colbert will resume taping.

Comments

1. Reagan spent 5 billion more than income when he was Gov. of Ca, in only 8 years. Then he tripled the national debt in only 8 years. I guess it is easier these days to just believe anything Nancy says.

Posted by: craig fox | Feb 19, 2012 6:40:09 PM

2. Thumbs up to Lin, Omaha, and Colbert.
    Thumbs down to Iran, Santorum, and Reagan.
    Lol @ libertarian TV network. Snore...

Posted by: Max | Feb 19, 2012 8:44:56 PM

3. "Then he tripled the national debt..."

Not true; he quadrupled the national debt. I think he was the WORST President this Country ever had. And being familiar with Alzheimer's disease, he definitely showed symptoms as early as 1985. My guess is it was even earlier, but was hidden as long as possible.

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 19, 2012 9:00:00 PM

4. "(Saudi Arabia to same French and British companies: "Cool! Buy from us!")"

Stop it!! You're not funny or clever. Just give it to us straight.

Posted by: jacbslt | Feb 19, 2012 9:09:06 PM

5. @JacBlst: Wow, you seem like a heap of fun. Reading those extra 12 words must have ruined your day.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 19, 2012 10:06:53 PM

6. @Paul R - i might have said it differently but I'm with jacblst on this. The voice of this blog changes on the weekends. For me, the change is not for the better. I realize Mr. Thorpe is just expressing his sense or humour but it misses me completely - especially in the News summary. I like that this blog expresses more than a single person's point of view and I accept that tolerating BKT's inappropriate editorializations is the price - but I hope it gets toned down.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Feb 19, 2012 11:56:38 PM

7. BKT, editorialize away! I thoroughly enjoy your commentary. Nothing inappropriate about it at all. Blogs always reflect the personal opinions of its writers.

Posted by: RJ | Feb 20, 2012 1:24:27 AM

8. Well obviously the tone changes with different writers. Few people write identically. Brandon also writes fewer but longer posts than does Andy. It's the weekend.

But he gets his facts right and is clearly quite bright. If you want straight news, read another blog. Or watch Fox News. You'll be super happy there, because they are a fount of knowledge and unbiased perspective. Then watch Dr. Phil. Then write their networks and complain.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 20, 2012 5:44:54 AM

9. Why the attack, dude? All I said was the humour was lost on me and that I prefer the tone of the weekday postings.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Feb 20, 2012 7:41:10 AM

10. The continued beatification of Ronald Reagan baffles and horrifies me. I spent the years of his regime living in Germany and I distinctly remember the German press constantly referring to him as "that actor" and kind of a joke and not as the distinguished statesman that is being spun now. When I hear republicans mewling that he practically took the Berlin Wall down with his bare hands I gag and throw up a bit. Ronnie & Nancy had little to no affect on the series of events that led to the wall coming down, but republican spin doctors know they can make American sheeple believe anything.

Posted by: Paul in Charleston | Feb 20, 2012 8:19:22 AM

11. I agree with those taking issue with the style of the weekend blogger-- it is an unwelcome change to the site. Andy typically provides information and lets the reader decide how to think about it. Brandon's headlines and copy are snarky, often in a somewhat immature way. That's not why I come here.

Posted by: Wil | Feb 20, 2012 10:32:04 AM

12. Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be an attack. I just get tired of people of piling on Brandon, who seems like a decent guy. I write and edit for a living, so I like seeing different styles. But yes, I did sound like a jerk, so I apologize.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 20, 2012 4:21:59 PM

13. I would suggest that people who don't like Brandon's style don't read him. Was that hard to figure out?

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 20, 2012 4:46:26 PM

14. my friend's mother makes $74 an hour on the computer. She has been fired for 8 months but last month her check was $8737 just working on the computer for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more... LazyCash10.com

Posted by: roy | Feb 20, 2012 6:13:20 PM

15. To Paul R. and RJ -- thank you very much.

To those who dislike the humor or the editorializing or whatever -- you know, sometimes I agree with you. Sometimes my blogs are no good. Sometimes individual sentences within the blogs are no good. Unfortunately, I usually can't tell until a day or so later, when the actual writing of the stuff isn't so fresh.

I do think I do a good job more often than not, and I hope to improve that ratio in the future.

As to the idea of playing it straight, just delivering the news, etc. -- it doesn't work. Hits go down, comments go down, and it's no fun. (That's why Andy doesn't always play it straight, either.)

Thanks for reading, and hope you're having a great week ...

- BKT