"Ex-Gays" | GLAAD | Ricky Martin | Television

GLAAD, Ricky Martin Protest Ex-Gay Therapies Promoted On Univision

Picture 21
On January 31st, Univision, the United States' largest Spanish-language TV network, aired a lengthy interview with an "ex-gay" therapist and one of his allegedly successful patients in Guadalajara, Mexico. I couldn't catch many details of the degayification methods under discussion -- my Spanish isn't so good -- but they seem to have involved talking, music, Jesus, and non-alcoholic beverages. At the end of the spot, the anchor asked the audience to weigh in: Does homosexuality result from nature or nurture?

Ricky Martin didn't like the segment so much, and neither did GLAAD. Immediately after the spot aired, Ricky tweeted “El heterosexual nace o se hace?” -- were you born straight or not? And last night, GLAAD took Univision to task for giving short shrift to the overwhelming evidence that degayification therapies are generally harmful and ineffective, not to mention unnecessary. From GLAAD's release:

The [Univision] segment essentially applauded a man who claimed he "successfully became straight," and interviewed at length a so-called expert therapist who was allowed to make false claims about success in changing sexual orientation. Although sparked by reports of hundreds of clinics in Ecuador that attempted to change their victims’ orientation, sometimes with torture tactics, the show neglected to appropriately include victims of “conversion therapies.” The segment also neglected to report that organizations like Exodus are often not licensed and have been discredited by major mainstream psychological associations.

The American Psychiatric Association states that “The potential risks of ‘reparative therapy’ are great, including depression, anxiety and self destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient” (from its position statement on Psychiatric Treatment and Sexual Orientation). The Ecuadorian government has discredited and declared illegal these so-called treatments, and has affirmed its commitment to investigate any centers that offer them.

Watch the original Univision broadcast AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. Unfortunately, I am sure this hateful crap was keenly watched. Latin-American groups vary in their acceptance of Gays in the family -- Mexicans are on the low end of the acceptance range.

Posted by: Bob | Feb 4, 2012 6:42:26 PM

2. They ask him "existen tentatciones?" .... do you have temptations? They guy says yes, and that's something he's fighting.

Obviously the guy from Ecuador is gay and is just denying who he is because of his own self-hatred. Fine let him do whatever he wants with his life. But that psychologist in Guadalajara, Mexico needs to be investigated or at minimum discredited for his QUACK "therapies" which harm gays in the long-run.

Maria Antonieta Collins did a horrible job with the 3rd guy. The psychologist stated that you cannot change a gay person to straight just like you cannot change a straight person to straight. She spent only about 10% of the program asking him questions.

Univision SHOULD be protested for this one-sided show that will do a lot of harm to latino viewers.

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 4, 2012 6:48:05 PM

3. I believe you meant to write "Ecuadoran government" as opposed to "Ecuadorial government".

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 4, 2012 7:15:09 PM

4. The woman interviewer in purple was made up by a fan of Divine

Posted by: Bob | Feb 4, 2012 8:34:32 PM

5. The ex-gay doctor looks more gay than the patient= the bottom line of the treatment consist of learning to be a "real man" in other words a macho latino idiot-I love the fact that "ex-gay" hang out with their straight teachers which I'm sure lead to some interesting nights after some heavy tequila shots...the report is fair and balance and it basically leaves up to the audience to decide. Latino culture is still extremely homophobic their concept of homosexuality is strictly seen as men who act like women,

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 4, 2012 10:24:18 PM

6. I don't have time to watch this crap, Channing Tatum just came on SNL. Be still my heart. Thank the gods that I am not an Ex-gay or i wouldn't be able to enjoy that big hunk of Eye Candy. On second thought most Ex-gays are probably now glued to the TV set.

Posted by: jack | Feb 4, 2012 11:48:39 PM

7. @Bob: Unfortunately, you are right. I am Mexican, out for 25 years, and after seeing this report, I am reminded how fortunate I am to be accepted by my most of my family.

Posted by: Carlos | Feb 5, 2012 3:46:33 AM

8. I came out to my parents when I was 21. Because I was just coming to grips with my sexuality and didn't totally embrace it, I was easily convinced to go into "repairative therapy." I can reassure you that having been in therapy for seven years did not change my sexual orientation. After the seven years in therapy, it was a second coming out for me. Today, I'm a happy gay man. I think my parents could have saved themselves $50,000 (that's how much I calculated they spent) had they accepted me from the beginning.

Posted by: deanmore | Feb 5, 2012 1:47:13 PM

9. I smell evangelical’s money on UNIVISION. Whatever. As often happen with expatriate communities –of different ethnic groups- all around the world, they tend to be more conservative than their countries of origin, holding to the old un-evolved model they knew when they left. You can’t cloud the sun with your hands for much longer; inevitably they will have to give in to change. Needless to say that the problem is that many migrants are uneducated or barely, and are therefore very easily influenced with cheap quackery.

Posted by: Poporochoclo | Feb 5, 2012 2:12:19 PM

10. Latinos are inherently homophobic. It's a battle we're having here in California, and YES it is why Prop 8 lost. The most vocal anti gay folks in California are in fact Latino, and yet they completely seem to pay no mind to the high amount of statistics by Latinos that mention the rate of pregnancy out of wedlock, dropping out of schools, crime, fornication. It's all so hypocritical but something the gay community has picked up on in California, and it's something we need to address.

Posted by: Real Talk | Feb 5, 2012 6:57:39 PM

11. @ Real Talk. That is why I, and many LGBT I know who are realistic (and not idealistic and up in LaLaland about gay rights) are very much so against all forms of illegal immigration. Illegal immigration impacts gay rightsin the most monumental way, and where I live, I see it every single day.

I have called a d*ke and far more homophobic terms by known illegal immigrants in the area and their offspring many, many times. They are drenched in their religion, and guess what happens when they have kids? when those kids become citizen by way of being born here, that just means a new demographic of bigotry the gay population has to overcome. A demographic we shouldn't have to be winning over, because they should NOT be here in the first place. We work so hard to impact Americans (of all backgrounds) then every year we get millions new illegals and their kids who just spread more homophobia. Close off the borders and spread resources for those here legally, and in turn...help seal homophobia that much more along the way.

Posted by: Michelle | Feb 5, 2012 7:05:14 PM

12. The responsibility to make this social change and lead progress in the Latin community falls on the shoulder of LATIN GAYS. I'm black and have made many advances within my black friends, family and even old hometown community by having that discussion, as challenging as it was. And by being out!
    Sadly, from my experience, many, many, many latino gays are so hyper sensitive to not be seen as gay because of the machismo homophobia in their latin culture. They don't fight it or challenge it, they cave in and cowardly often conform to it. Even the ones who are out will use lame buzz words like "totally straight acting and only hang out with straight acting" change can not be made with that sort of timid, scared, conformist approach. Latino gays just haven't put in the effort that other groups of gays have made. And it is a real shame.

Posted by: JamalNYC | Feb 5, 2012 7:13:25 PM