Bullying | Carson Daly | News

BigGayDeal.com

Carson Daly Now Even More Sorry For Mocking Gay People

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95becf7970c-200wiCarson Daly is offering some more contrition for his homophobic rant yesterday.

The radio and television host found himself under fire after saying that gay people would have been incapable of subduing the Jet Blue pilot who lost it mid-flight this week, because of course we're all weakling weenies.

Soon after, Daly tweeted a quick apology, writing, "I attempted to make fun of myself & offended others by mistake. I sincerely apologize."

Now, after having an old-fashioned sitdown with GLAAD, Daly has more to say:

We live in a time where gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals find courage every day to overcome adversity, stand up to bullying and find equality. I'm truly saddened that my words today suggested otherwise. I've long been a supporter of gay, lesbian, and transgender rights, and I'm saddened that my comments, however unintentional, offended anyone, specifically members of the LGBT community.

The fact that I have hurt anyone is devastating. I'm not that guy. I'm proud to be an ally of the LGBT community and will continue to fight with them.

So, do you forgive and forget, reader? Or were you just not that offended, because, you know, it's Carson Daly? Does the size of the star or their platform amplify an offensive comment, or is all discrimination equal?

Comments

1. i don't know that i am offended by his words. sometimes a joke is a joke. I've never heard that Daly is homophobic etc.

Posted by: bostonbeat | Mar 29, 2012 7:11:31 AM

2. Carson who?

Posted by: Roscoe | Mar 29, 2012 7:13:15 AM

3. He always rubbed me the wrong way, no pun intended.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 29, 2012 7:15:46 AM

4. I think he made a really dumb comment, but I don't think he's homophobic. I think he tried to make a joke and failed miserably.

What bothers me more is the horribly manufactured statement he released that was written by GLAAD. Is anyone buying this crap anymore??? For once I'd love to see someone write a statement that, while not necessarily grammatically correct, at least came from the heart. If his statement didn't involve the words "adversity," "truly saddened,""unintentional," and "devastating," I'd be more likely to believe it. I'm so tired of celebrities and politicians releasing these clearly prepared remarks in an attempt to appease people.

Posted by: Joe | Mar 29, 2012 7:23:23 AM

5. People on this, and other sites, keep saying "Carson who?" as if to say that his opinion doesn't matter because he might not be an A-list celebrity in the United States. That isn't the point. He said what he said on, and that message was distributed by, mass media. That message went out to LGBT children, and young adults, and their parents, and their friends and enemies. All of our friends and enemies. He reinforced a hurtful stereotype, that, among other things, encourages bullies to bully LGBT people, cause, hey, they won't fight back. It's not the size of the celebrity, it's the number of people the message reaches.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 29, 2012 7:28:54 AM

6. Cee Lo Green, Blake Shelton and now Carson Daily are all on "The Voice" and have all made homophobic comments that they later apologized for making. Interesting.

Posted by: Lance | Mar 29, 2012 7:29:00 AM

7. Im not offended..tho I think - with all the suicides of young gay kids...people need to THINK

Posted by: Disgusted American | Mar 29, 2012 7:45:45 AM

8. Many gay people, myself included, have joked around and used an ultra-effeminate voice making fun of ourselves or someone in our peer group.

Is this behavior the new "N" word?

Are gay people the only ones who can make fun, talk lispy and call each other fag, but nobody else or they get the full wrath of GLAAD and the gay community?

Not falling on either side of this, just asking the question...

Posted by: johnny | Mar 29, 2012 7:50:04 AM

9. It's a homophobic statement, and his sincerity is speculation. But some people do dumb things. I'm OK with his apology.

Posted by: DTij | Mar 29, 2012 7:51:31 AM

10. Carson Daly is a D-Bag in a D-Bubble of his own making.
    Even with the new, improved contrition, Carson remains
    self absorbed, paranoid, and scrambling to protect his
    sweet paycheck from NBC.

Let the producers of "the Voice" hear ours.

Carson Daly = CMA (Cover My Ass) Cover Boy

Posted by: Marcito | Mar 29, 2012 7:58:40 AM

11. Here's the thing: guys talk like that. They do. Even the ones who have friends and family members who are gay. They might not do it around us but in the locker room they (not all mind you) might say something off color, something vaguely homophobic, just to be one of the guys. However, Mr. Daly (who looks like he could have spent his youth lifting luggage for George Rekers) has a nationally syndicated talk show and has spent much of his career working with members of the LGBT community so it puzzles me that he could so freely say such things, on-air. And it wasn't just the one slip. He followed through, mocking his "colleagues" and everyone else. Then...after he was reprimanded, he apologized. When I was a kid there would have been no apology. Times have changed. I just wish everyone would catch up.

Posted by: Gigi | Mar 29, 2012 7:59:20 AM

12. How many more times do we have to hear apologies proffered AFTER the fact? How many more times do we have to hear someone say, "I'm not that guy," as if it were some kind of catchphrase that grants the perpetrator automatic forgiveness? I'm sorry, but we are well past the point where cultural figures can claim ignorance and poor judgment. Such words should not have been THOUGHT, let alone spoken, let alone BROADCAST, to begin with.

I do NOT accept the apology. It isn't because I think Carson Daly is a homophobe. That's not the point. My point is that by now, people in such positions should know better. Forgiveness is irrelevant if it does not come with accountability. As I have said before, if all we ever ask for is an apology, that's all we'll ever get. The only lesson being taught here is that it's okay to say these things and then apologize after the fact, when what we really want is for people to not say them in the first place.

Posted by: atomic | Mar 29, 2012 8:01:28 AM

13. STOP apologizes, there's nearly one each 3 days. First a gay slur and after apologizes, STOP, I can't take anymore.

Posted by: luke | Mar 29, 2012 8:04:56 AM

14. Things are not said unless there is truth behind them! I don't care who it is, prejudice and hatred are the same coming from all people. Unless we stand united here and show our disgust by boycotting businesses that betray us or boycotting television and movie personalities who voice hurtful and derogatory comments about the LGBT Community we will remain easy material for their rantings. Apologies are CHEAP and easy, they do not however take back the things that were said.

Posted by: John | Mar 29, 2012 8:06:41 AM

15. As he spit on the corpse of Mark Bingham, I think he indeed proved that he is in fact "that guy".

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Mar 29, 2012 8:07:33 AM

16. Or we accept that occasionally people (including, sometimes, ourselves!) say stupid things and if the apology is sincere and its not part of a pattern of behaviour, we all move on with our lives.

Posted by: Clif3012 | Mar 29, 2012 8:11:01 AM

17. @JOHNNY..... Yes, a person making bigoted anti-gay statements should be treated exactly the same way that a person making racist statements would be treated.

That's not a difficult concept to understand. Gay issues should not be considered as less important than race issues.

Posted by: Tim NC | Mar 29, 2012 8:19:48 AM

18. Originally, I was pretty mad because I felt that Carson was trying to pick himself up by attacking a group of people he perceives weaker than him.

I agree with DTIJ that people do and say stupid things. I can forgive that. At the same time, I think he exposed his true feelings about gay people.

I view his apology as more damage control than actual contrition. But it's a first step in growing from this experience, and hopefully he continues to learn from it and do better.

Posted by: John | Mar 29, 2012 8:23:20 AM

19. I'd say 99% of us have all said things we regret or didn't mean. It was slightly offensive engagement in stereotyping, which isn't helpful. Apology accepted. Go forth and sin no more.

Posted by: Gary | Mar 29, 2012 8:25:13 AM

20. Funny a few days ago. we were all over a young soccer player in the heat of the game yelled the F word at a ball boy... we wanted him hung out to dry for his oopps. He has been suspended for 3 games as well as a Fine.

Now we want to give Carson a pass on his demeaning joke, That he planned on telling and had some sidekick go along with... Shame on him... perhaps suspend him from the Voice for a few shows and a fine would be a start at showing how sorry he really is.

Posted by: Sockman | Mar 29, 2012 8:31:24 AM

21. So is GLAAD's singular purpose these days to give cover to celebrities who make homophobic remarks?

Every time a celebrity gets called out on this, rather than doing something genuine (like, here, Daly could devote a whole show to speaking with the friends and family of Mark Bingham and educating himself and his audience about genuine GLBT heroism), instead he can just run to GLAAD for absolution, they help him write a carefully crafted "apology" and all's supposed to be forgiven and forgotten.

What if organizations like GLAAD instead said "screw the apology-- do something to actually SHOW you're sorry, and then we'll talk."

I'm getting sort of sick of GLAAD's "say two 'i'm-sorry-i-love-the-GLBT-communities,' genuflect twice, and all is absolved."

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Mar 29, 2012 8:42:25 AM

22. As a 'celebrity' he and all the other apology tourists should either keep their expensive mouths shut or actually act the way they supposedly feel.

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 29, 2012 8:43:04 AM

23. "I'm not that guy."

Where have I heard that before, I mean recently?

Oh, yeah, some soccer punk named Colin Clarke,only yesterday.

Here is the thing, people. We are not obligated to accept these lame apologies, especially when they are preceded by lame denials: "I am not that guy."

When Carson Daly, Colin Clarke, and others "like them" say: "I'm not that guy, what exactly are they saying?"

Are they saying that they are like the president and GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Brian Burke?

Are they saying that they are like radio personality, Howard Stern?

Are we really supposed to believe that the words and actions of odious men does not define them, and what? . . . equate their behavior with people like Brian Burke and Howard Stern, men whose words and actions actually reflect what they say they believe, and who they say they are as men?

Accept their apologies . . . hmmm . . . maybe - maybe.

But buy into their BS that, contrary to whatever they say and do, that deep down: "I'm not that guy."

I refuse because I find it to be a great disservice to all those men who are and who strive to be those men.

Posted by: Ricco | Mar 29, 2012 8:52:15 AM

24. Thank you for sharing this info with us!

Posted by: fastessays.co.uk | Mar 29, 2012 8:53:07 AM

25. @SOCKMAN There are just as many commenters here calling for Carson's head on a platter as there were for the soccer player. And, there were also many commenters who gave the soccer player a pass because he was young and cute.

Posted by: Tim NC | Mar 29, 2012 8:53:45 AM