Carson Daly Now Even More Sorry For Mocking Gay People

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95becf7970c-200wiCarson Daly is offering some more contrition for his homophobic rant yesterday.

The radio and television host found himself under fire after saying that gay people would have been incapable of subduing the Jet Blue pilot who lost it mid-flight this week, because of course we're all weakling weenies.

Soon after, Daly tweeted a quick apology, writing, "I attempted to make fun of myself & offended others by mistake. I sincerely apologize."

Now, after having an old-fashioned sitdown with GLAAD, Daly has more to say:

We live in a time where gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals find courage every day to overcome adversity, stand up to bullying and find equality. I'm truly saddened that my words today suggested otherwise. I've long been a supporter of gay, lesbian, and transgender rights, and I'm saddened that my comments, however unintentional, offended anyone, specifically members of the LGBT community.

The fact that I have hurt anyone is devastating. I'm not that guy. I'm proud to be an ally of the LGBT community and will continue to fight with them.

So, do you forgive and forget, reader? Or were you just not that offended, because, you know, it's Carson Daly? Does the size of the star or their platform amplify an offensive comment, or is all discrimination equal?

Comments

1. Joe says

I think he made a really dumb comment, but I don’t think he’s homophobic. I think he tried to make a joke and failed miserably.

What bothers me more is the horribly manufactured statement he released that was written by GLAAD. Is anyone buying this crap anymore??? For once I’d love to see someone write a statement that, while not necessarily grammatically correct, at least came from the heart. If his statement didn’t involve the words “adversity,” “truly saddened,””unintentional,” and “devastating,” I’d be more likely to believe it. I’m so tired of celebrities and politicians releasing these clearly prepared remarks in an attempt to appease people.

2. Eric says

People on this, and other sites, keep saying “Carson who?” as if to say that his opinion doesn’t matter because he might not be an A-list celebrity in the United States. That isn’t the point. He said what he said on, and that message was distributed by, mass media. That message went out to LGBT children, and young adults, and their parents, and their friends and enemies. All of our friends and enemies. He reinforced a hurtful stereotype, that, among other things, encourages bullies to bully LGBT people, cause, hey, they won’t fight back. It’s not the size of the celebrity, it’s the number of people the message reaches.

3. Lance says

Cee Lo Green, Blake Shelton and now Carson Daily are all on “The Voice” and have all made homophobic comments that they later apologized for making. Interesting.

4. johnny says

Many gay people, myself included, have joked around and used an ultra-effeminate voice making fun of ourselves or someone in our peer group.

Is this behavior the new “N” word?

Are gay people the only ones who can make fun, talk lispy and call each other fag, but nobody else or they get the full wrath of GLAAD and the gay community?

Not falling on either side of this, just asking the question…

5. Marcito says

Carson Daly is a D-Bag in a D-Bubble of his own making.
    Even with the new, improved contrition, Carson remains
    self absorbed, paranoid, and scrambling to protect his
    sweet paycheck from NBC.

Let the producers of “the Voice” hear ours.

Carson Daly = CMA (Cover My Ass) Cover Boy

6. Gigi says

Here’s the thing: guys talk like that. They do. Even the ones who have friends and family members who are gay. They might not do it around us but in the locker room they (not all mind you) might say something off color, something vaguely homophobic, just to be one of the guys. However, Mr. Daly (who looks like he could have spent his youth lifting luggage for George Rekers) has a nationally syndicated talk show and has spent much of his career working with members of the LGBT community so it puzzles me that he could so freely say such things, on-air. And it wasn’t just the one slip. He followed through, mocking his “colleagues” and everyone else. Then…after he was reprimanded, he apologized. When I was a kid there would have been no apology. Times have changed. I just wish everyone would catch up.

7. atomic says

How many more times do we have to hear apologies proffered AFTER the fact? How many more times do we have to hear someone say, “I’m not that guy,” as if it were some kind of catchphrase that grants the perpetrator automatic forgiveness? I’m sorry, but we are well past the point where cultural figures can claim ignorance and poor judgment. Such words should not have been THOUGHT, let alone spoken, let alone BROADCAST, to begin with.

I do NOT accept the apology. It isn’t because I think Carson Daly is a homophobe. That’s not the point. My point is that by now, people in such positions should know better. Forgiveness is irrelevant if it does not come with accountability. As I have said before, if all we ever ask for is an apology, that’s all we’ll ever get. The only lesson being taught here is that it’s okay to say these things and then apologize after the fact, when what we really want is for people to not say them in the first place.

8. John says

Things are not said unless there is truth behind them! I don’t care who it is, prejudice and hatred are the same coming from all people. Unless we stand united here and show our disgust by boycotting businesses that betray us or boycotting television and movie personalities who voice hurtful and derogatory comments about the LGBT Community we will remain easy material for their rantings. Apologies are CHEAP and easy, they do not however take back the things that were said.

9. Clif3012 says

Or we accept that occasionally people (including, sometimes, ourselves!) say stupid things and if the apology is sincere and its not part of a pattern of behaviour, we all move on with our lives.

10. Tim NC says

@JOHNNY….. Yes, a person making bigoted anti-gay statements should be treated exactly the same way that a person making racist statements would be treated.

That’s not a difficult concept to understand. Gay issues should not be considered as less important than race issues.

11. John says

Originally, I was pretty mad because I felt that Carson was trying to pick himself up by attacking a group of people he perceives weaker than him.

I agree with DTIJ that people do and say stupid things. I can forgive that. At the same time, I think he exposed his true feelings about gay people.

I view his apology as more damage control than actual contrition. But it’s a first step in growing from this experience, and hopefully he continues to learn from it and do better.

12. Gary says

I’d say 99% of us have all said things we regret or didn’t mean. It was slightly offensive engagement in stereotyping, which isn’t helpful. Apology accepted. Go forth and sin no more.

13. Sockman says

Funny a few days ago. we were all over a young soccer player in the heat of the game yelled the F word at a ball boy… we wanted him hung out to dry for his oopps. He has been suspended for 3 games as well as a Fine.

Now we want to give Carson a pass on his demeaning joke, That he planned on telling and had some sidekick go along with… Shame on him… perhaps suspend him from the Voice for a few shows and a fine would be a start at showing how sorry he really is.

14. bobbyjoe says

So is GLAAD’s singular purpose these days to give cover to celebrities who make homophobic remarks?

Every time a celebrity gets called out on this, rather than doing something genuine (like, here, Daly could devote a whole show to speaking with the friends and family of Mark Bingham and educating himself and his audience about genuine GLBT heroism), instead he can just run to GLAAD for absolution, they help him write a carefully crafted “apology” and all’s supposed to be forgiven and forgotten.

What if organizations like GLAAD instead said “screw the apology– do something to actually SHOW you’re sorry, and then we’ll talk.”

I’m getting sort of sick of GLAAD’s “say two ‘i’m-sorry-i-love-the-GLBT-communities,’ genuflect twice, and all is absolved.”

15. Andrew says

As a ‘celebrity’ he and all the other apology tourists should either keep their expensive mouths shut or actually act the way they supposedly feel.

16. Ricco says

“I’m not that guy.”

Where have I heard that before, I mean recently?

Oh, yeah, some soccer punk named Colin Clarke,only yesterday.

Here is the thing, people. We are not obligated to accept these lame apologies, especially when they are preceded by lame denials: “I am not that guy.”

When Carson Daly, Colin Clarke, and others “like them” say: “I’m not that guy, what exactly are they saying?”

Are they saying that they are like the president and GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Brian Burke?

Are they saying that they are like radio personality, Howard Stern?

Are we really supposed to believe that the words and actions of odious men does not define them, and what? . . . equate their behavior with people like Brian Burke and Howard Stern, men whose words and actions actually reflect what they say they believe, and who they say they are as men?

Accept their apologies . . . hmmm . . . maybe – maybe.

But buy into their BS that, contrary to whatever they say and do, that deep down: “I’m not that guy.”

I refuse because I find it to be a great disservice to all those men who are and who strive to be those men.

17. Tim NC says

@SOCKMAN There are just as many commenters here calling for Carson’s head on a platter as there were for the soccer player. And, there were also many commenters who gave the soccer player a pass because he was young and cute.

18. Francis says

I know Carson isn’t anti-gay, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to willy-nilly forget what he said. He WAY crossed the line big time.

I have to say I am similarly tired of people making offensive statements, gay-related and otherwise, and then apologizing after the fact, saying they didn’t mean to offend and that it “isn’t them”. If it isn’t them, if that’s now what they are about, using anti-gay slurs and making homophobic statements, then what are they about? Actions are louder than words. That’s what these celebs, news folk, athletes, etc. just don’t get. They do and say the WORST things and then think an apology alone will wash things clean, and it just doesn’t.

Regarding this case, I’m both very offended and very disappointed, as well as quite confused, still. Offended because Carson’s words are a SPIT IN THE FACE of MILLIONS of LGBTQ heroes in the world, past and present, who have stood up heroically for themselves and others, in the face of horrible circumstances, sexuality-related or not. Disappointed because Mr. Daly, given the crowd he runs in being filled to the brim with gays, didn’t/doesn’t know better than to say something like this. That he didn’t think before he was speaking and didn’t have the foresight to see his comments would be offensive to many. And that something like this would even be something he would consider funny.

I’m confused because Carson I truly don’t think is homophobic and I truly don’t think Carson said what he said from a position of homophobia. It came off badly homophobic, but from listening to the video, I think he was trying to use stereotypical cliches as a way to create laughs. I don’t think his intent or mentality was anti-gay, unlike a Colin Clark, for instance. But……..that’s sort of the problem. It’s the ignorance. It’s the fact someone like Carson obviously doesn’t get it. And someone like him shouldn’t be that BLIND. So on that, I can’t give him a pass. His ignorance isn’t excusable. But with that said, I’m willing to forgive (not forget) if I see Carson is truly contrite and truly does his part to repair the damage caused in this case. I want to see him bring up MARK BINGHAM as a means to highlight his entire failed-joke has been actually proven false in reality. I want him to talk about real-life gay heroism and the fact LGBTQ citizens are strong individuals and heroic in our own ways for dealing with a largely anti-gay, ignorant society. Words are not enough, I want to see action, and I think Mr. Daly will come through.

19. Bob R says

When will the rudeness and belittling of minorities end? Personally, I’m tired of being insulted. Playing on stereotypes is not only stupid and indicates lack of intellect and talent, it is a lazy comedians ticket to a cheap laugh. Will it ever end?

20. Louis says

Move on folks! He apologized and we need to be big enough to accept his words of contrition.

He has always been on our side and we need to let this rest.

21. rayrayj says

I thought it was funny. It’s the kind of joke I would make to my gay or straight friends. I also know that historically it has been those effeminate “flaming queens” who have fought the loudest and the hardest, which, to me, makes the joke even funnier.

22. DanSwon says

It’s a good apology. We have to be big enough to accept a genuine apology when it’s given. There is dignity in rising above pettiness and spitefulness.

23. Paul of Tilling says

In response to those saying “everybody says stupid things once in a while” that is true, but how many people say them on the radio, on television, when reporters are present or tweet their stupid comments to millions of followers? And where in his apology did he say anything about his stupidly reinforcing a negative stereotype? And I don’t mean the stereotype about gay men all being “florists” but that “florists” are weakling cowards who wouldn’t lift a finger…tell that to the drag queens at Stonewall. Tell that to THIS queen who was once surrounded by a group of punks in Italy, knocked to the ground and was being kicked in the head but managed to get up, grab one of the pricks by his hair and the seat of his pants and ram his head into a wrought iron fence, at which point they all scattered. They attacked me because they had this mistaken idea that I was a weak victim who would not fight back.
    Stupid comments that perpetuate negative stereotypes not only disrespect the memory of Mark Bingham but every man serving in the military putting his life on the line for people like Carson Daley.

24. shibby says

Similar jokes like Carson’s have been made by friends and certain celebrity’s, but in those cases they’re funny because we know they’re not entrenched in actual homophobia. When people like Kathy Griffin or Margaret Cho make those kind of jokes, it’s okay because we KNOW they’re an ally. Their actions and words have proven them to be someone who truly supports and loves the LGBT community. It’s friendly ribbing and their use of the absurdity of stereotypes allows us to laugh with them.

But with Carson, I don’t know his intentions. He’s never been really showcased as an ally (to the best of my knowledge), so when he says jokes about gays it comes across very bigoted and mean-spirited – like he’s trying to play it cool with the guys by putting another group down.

I’ll, be honest, I’ve never liked Carson Daly and his comments have no relevance for me. BUT, he has a huge platform and is easily recognized by lots of people. So what he says has the potential to reach a large audience for both good and ill. He needs to understand that and (while people seem to be sick of it) working with GLAAD can at least call attention to that same audience by saying it is NOT acceptable to make homophobic remarks. Whether or not Carson himself actually believes it, at least the message gets out there.

25. Todd says

Collectively, comments like this perpetuate a stereotype. Why would he even go there to begin with? Because he’s heard similar comments in the past that made it “okay” to repeat this sort of thing. If you think what Carson Daily said was okay, then you may be a victim of your own self-loathing.

26. stingo says

I just HATE it when celebrities (or the vaguely famous persons, as the case may be here) get into damage control mode after the inner homophobe in them comes out. Who buys it?!?

27. Tim NC says

Everybody says stupid things once in a while???? REALLY, REALLY ????

Those of you who are excusing this with everyone says stupid things once in a while will please now provide some examples of celebrities or sports figures who have recently spouted off stupid racist comments.

28. acorlando says

I am willing to accept his apology(ies) as sincere, and will hold him to his words from here out. IMO he has raised his bar for his future posture in this regard.

29. Rodger says

He mad a joke. He played on a stereotype. He said he was sorry. Move on. He said in the joke that these people are his people or peers. He was making fun of himself as well. Move on.

30. Tim says

Until people are not bullied/beaten/killed for being gay/black/female, then there is no place for anyone with a platform that can reach millions to perpetuate stereotypes that can bring harm to those maligned. Apologies are not enough. They are just words. Actions speak louder. Where is his show that talks about injustices towards those he just maligned? Where are his actions that help bring awareness to injustices in our community?

For those of you quick to forgive him, spend a day outside of your bubble and you will see how words like his are taken seriously by those more than willing to oppress us.

31. Gary A says

I’m not offended by what he said. I don’t think he’s homophobic. He just made a cheap, bad joke trying to get a laugh and said some unfortunate stuff. To me it was a stupid lapse in judgment. There are others out there who purposely say hateful, divisive and untrue things about the LGBT community. We should save our ire for them and not make mountains out of molehills. That just makes us look petty and diminishes somewhat our complaints about those who really deserve our outrage. However, he does deserve to hear just how stupid it is what he said, but I’m thinking we should just let it go with that. Apology accepted!

32. Greg says

We all have made jokes that we regret saying after they come out of our mouths. He thought he was being funny and it kinda was and it kinda wasn’t. I don’t blame the guy.

33. TJ says

“I’d say 99% of us have all said things we regret or didn’t mean.”

True. But 99% of us don’t have a radio show, in addition to appearing weekly on a TV show. I should think someone who has access to so many ears would be more careful about what gets heard.

I truly do not understand those of you who don’t find the telling of such a “joke” offensive, or who minimize Carson’s responsibility.

Someday, someday, we may be able to “get over ourselves” because we will have undisputed, equal standing in our communities. We can be the slob eating a sloppy Carl’s Jr hamburger and say, “So?” because it won’t affect our power and standing in the community.

But as long as bigots spew hate and hiss “fagg*t” and tell us to go ahead and kill ourselves when they aren’t personally wielding the baseball bat, this sort of joke is unacceptable. It, and Carson, richly deserve to be called out.

34. TJ says

“Yeah, with my luck, I’d be on a plane full of lazy colored welfare queens who’d wait for the government to do the work for them.”

Still funny? Still not offensive?

35. Fenrox says

This is a non issue. I like how people are pretending to be offended, but if this was a scene from Eating Out 7: The search for curly’s gold, it would just be another gay joke.

Taking the joke to a place where only abusive or bigoted people would take it is effing stupid. Bigots are symptom of a much larger problem and you don’t really have to check with them at all times. They hate you 100% for no reason anyway, so don’t in any way pander to them.

An important part of the it gets better project is the message that you make it better. By growing up and being halfway intelligent, you repel toxic situations and people and favor supporting ones, and then it’s better.

So when someone derides you in a joke, joke back. Be confident that you know the difference between hate and stupidity, between accidents and intent.

If you think Carson Daly is a bigot then you are frightening, your ability to access a situation is almost nil, I would recommend growing up.

36. TJ says

So, FENROX, it’s okay for Carson to pander to bigots?

So, we take your suggestion and discern between accident and intent. Great! We are no longer offended!

Would that those who heard this joke and said “Yes! That’s funny! I wouldn’t want to be on a plane full of fags either!” had the same skills and desire for discernment.

37. Hollywood, CA says

There are (2) types of Homophobia: ACTIVE (Westboro UnAmericans) and PASSIVE (Carson Daly), and I think they should be treated differently. Both should be stopped, but I don’t think it benefits us if we attack someone who makes a gay joke without thinking, versus a Tracy Morgan gay joke which was specifically written into his act.

We shouldn’t use a machine gun to kill a roach, especially if their response is quick and sincere. Just a thought. :)

38. JeanKrystle says

Has anyone considered that some of these people are deliberately saying these things to get more attention. They get a lot of free publicity (bad), but people hear their name that have never heard of them. Then they get more publicity when they apologize. I didn’t even know he was still around, until this.

39. says

Homophobes and ignoramouses need to read more about the history of gay people. From the Sacred Band of Thebes to the GLBT people at Stonewall, we have a history of bad-asses on our side.

40. TJ says

HOLLYWOOD: I’d use the terms overt and covert. I’d also throw in institutionalized homophobia – where some parts of society really don’t see any harm in making a group of people the butt of a stupid joke. Just because one makes a “mistake” or at some level thought it was okay to make such a stupid joke doesn’t make it any less excusable. In fact, I’d suggest that calling this covert homophobia out is even more important that calling out the overt, Westboro type, because the latter is obvious. The former is more insidious. Just my thoughts. 😉

41. Fenrox says

@TJ, Do you really think he was pandering to bigots? Pandering requires intent, you believe that Carson Daly said that on purpose, to what? Win over bigots? Get more bigot support?

I don’t see that happening.

To be OFFENDED by a accident is stupid, to be frustrated and disappointed is not. So your sister spills milk all over some precious thing to you, total accident, DO you accuse her of malicious intent? Do you get offended that she would do that to you? Or do you just pout and be disappointed that that damn sister of yours just ruined something special to you?

So I do not believe that Carson Daly is a bigot, AND I do not believe he is funny. I am FRUSTRATED and DISAPPOINTED in his joke. He doesn’t need to apologize, just learn, and what i want him to learn is how to joke.

There isn’t anything wrong with the situations of the joke, gay people have a stereotype of being sissy. To joke about it you just need to make it endearing, like you are joking with the person. If you ever see stand up shows, the comics tend to insult people really harshly, sometimes they use offensive and hurtful stereotypes. If the joke is successful, nobody is slighted by the joke, instead they laugh at a perception of themselves and in doing so release discomfort by joining in to the larger laughing group.

Sometimes it doesn’t work, I am sure Tracy Morgan wanted his homophobic rant to be funny, to have somehow worked, but like Carson, He didn’t make it work and instead it comes out flat. And if you are joking about touchy, offensive things, YOUR JOKE CANNOT BE FLAT.

So @TJ, maybe that made it clear to you.

42. Giuseppe says

As a celebrity of sorts, especially a host of a talent show where gay contestants have featured, Carson Daly really ought to have a better filter in place during interviews. Apology not accepted. He needs to do some sort of penance for this one. Instead of “Hail Mary” repetitions, he ought to volunteer for a pro-gay cause and put his actions where his words are…

43. TJ says

FENROX – If my sister makes a mistake, spilling sauce on my dry clean-only shirt, which appears irreparably stained, I forgive her because she is family. Because she is family, she would likely offer to pay for the dry cleaning if not the shirt. Because she is family, I’d likely refuse the offer.

If the same thing happens in a restaurant, as a patron, I would expect the restaurant to, at the very least, pay for the dry cleaning (Having worked for high-end restaurants, I can tell you that establishments with any sort of class will make an effort to make up for the mistake).

If I am driving, get distracted, and run a red light, running the red light was likely not something I intended to do. If no one sees the act, and no one or thing is harmed by my unintended breaking of the law, no real harm has occurred. But if I realize my mistake and make an effort to not be so distracted in the future, I can avoid possible harm. A win-win.

If, however, I hit someone or run into someone’s front yard, destroying their lawn and garden, my unintended act has caused harm. Reparation is in order. I not only acknowledge that my unintended act caused harm, but I make amends. If I don’t do so of my own accord, the law will likely step in and force me to do the right thing. Because in a civilized society, we can’t and shouldn’t do whatever we want or even don’t intentionally want without facing consequences when our acts harm others. Even if I hit no one or thing, but my action is witnessed, I might expect a ticket. Even if I hit no one or thing, if someone has to jump out of the way or is startled by my carelessness, the very least I can do, as a decent, fellow human being, is offer an apology.

I, and many others, found the joke not only unfunny but offensive. You and others may not agree. But just as I am likely unable to convince you of the harm messages like that send despite efforts to let such roll off the back and not give the words power, and that people ought to be held accountable for their actions, particularly when their actions have a far-reaching public platform; you and others have no right to discount my experience and that of others of finding that lame-ass joke offensive. The subjective experience of harm as a result of bigotry is not limited to intent. You and others have no right to tell me that we don’t deserve not only an apology but an expectation that an idiot with a microphone ought to think before speaking.

44. says

I wonder if this Carson Daly guy remembers 9-11? If not he should read Wikipedia’s article on Mark Bingham, who may have been the gay guy who led the customers in attacking the hijackers on Flight 93. It fits his character. Then maybe this Carson Daly guy can do a show about gay heroes like Bingham and the guy who blocked the shooter who almost Gerald Ford. That would be a lot better than a standard apology from this Carson Daly guy. By the way, who is Carson Daly and what has he ever done?

45. Kip says

10 years after Mark Bingham’s undisputed heroics on September 11, it’s hard to fathom how somebody this young could operate on such antiquated and loathsome stereotypes. I’d never heard of Carson Daly until yesterday. Are we supposed to give homophobic comments a pass if they come from liberals or people we thought were friends of gays/lesbians? If Rick Santorum had said this, everyone would be all over it. It shouldn’t be about the person who said it. It should be about the bigoted, offensive content of the statement.

No double standards.

46. George M says

I was a bit offended after I read the first short and curt apology. It seemed like an apology on the fly. It appears like he took the time to really think about how he was perceived and expressed that in his second apology. I think forgiveness is in order. Lord knows I’ve said some pretty offensive things without thinking about it. It sure would suck if it were held over my head for the rest of my life.

47. Angela Channing says

Ordinarily, I would shrug off such inane “jokes,” considering it is Carson Daly. However, as soon as I heard the audio and read the transcript, I immediately thought of Mark Bingham and it struck a nerve. I think that is why many folks are angry about his joke. We know of someone who bravely fought terrorists and saved countless lives at the Capitol had their plan succeeded. It is unrealistic to expect Daly to know that and avoid such jokes, but it still pissed me off.

48. TJ says

So, if you think people in the media ought to know better than to make such a blatantly offensive joke, you are categorized and dismissed as a member of the “P C, knee jerk ULTRA liberal crowd?”

I guess that little stereotype label covers the majority of the posters here. Best thing about labels: You don’t have to consider that someone may have a point.

As I posted earlier:

Still funny? Still not offensive?

“Yeah, with my luck, I’d be on a plane of whiny Jews with big noses demanding refunds.”

Hardy har har.

49. dixichuk says

“Modern Family’s” Mitchell and Cameron do more damage reinforcing the flighty unstable gay nitwit image than Carson Daly. There are Rick Santorums out there to worry about. Mr. Daly ain’t even in the same league. Don’t get it.

50. DB says

There we go again. A company reverses a policy or someone apologizes for inserting their foot in their mouth…and the majority of the gay community will refuse to accept the apology with the whole “Too little too late” attitude.

Us: “We want you to change!”

Them (after making an effort): “We were totally wrong, we’ve changed and we’ve learned.”

Us: “Sorry, its just too late for that. It’s probably just damage control anyways.”
    (even though we threatened to damage them through boycotts, etc to begin with)

51. Rob says

listen to the clip. there’s no “stereotypically gay voice”. it’s a dumb joke, sure, but it’s not anywhere near offensive enough as people are making it out to be…

52. Bill says

Regarding Eric’s comment, ‘People on this, and other sites, keep saying “Carson who?” as if to say that his opinion doesn’t matter because he might not be an A-list celebrity in the United States…”

I could easily see myself saying, “Carson who?” for a different reason. This is the first time I’ve heard of him. It’s not surprising when someone mostly ignores radio and television.

53. Bill Michael says

At one time, you had to have a college degree in English to even be on television or radio news programs. Now all you have to be is an idiot.

54. Michael says

He has been relatively outspoken about his support for gay rights, so his comments only show how subconsciously engrained homophobia is so many, even those people who aren’t really homophobes.

I will say, however, that I hate apologies that say “I’m sorry that my words offended you.” It’s backhanded and doesn’t get to the point that they should never have been spoken in the first place.

He was called out on his BS. There are bigger fish to fry.