Colin Farrell Speaks Out Against Homophobic Bullying

Colin Farrell has released a statement in support of 'Stand Up! Don’t Stand for Homophobic Bullying' and a school awareness campaign launched last Friday by BeLonG To, an Irish LGBT youth organisation.

Said Farrell:

Farrell"If there was one great wish I have for my country – for a land that I love and a people I so revere, it would be that school bullying were a thing of our past.

So much has befallen us in our shared history as a people. The harshest of these times have threatened to take our dignity, or scald our hearts into closing.

“Most of our great trials, from soiled land to the institutionalized abuse of trust and power, were inflicted upon us, whether by nature or the power corrupt. Now with bullying, there is a clear choice and the choice is ours.

“Each individual, as a member of his and her community, must Stand Up! In the face of this appalling brutality that plagues our schools. In effect, bullying is no less than the systematic doling out of pain upon the innocent.  It is literally laughing in the face of somebody as they fall into increasingly grave danger. It's not my place to draw parallels, but we have had enough of such hardships. The world has.

“Whether it be the attacking of Gay students, which I witnessed first hand happening to my own brother, or students who are in the minority as a result of race or religious beliefs or any other such characteristic that separates them from 'the norm', it is all wrong and has no place in a just and compassionate country such as I know Ireland to be.  We have always been praised as being the friendliest and most welcoming race in the world.  My wish is for us to prove it daily, in the school yards and playgrounds across this Great Land of Ours."

Comments

1. Paul R says

Nice comment aside from the rather bizarre line about friendliest and most welcoming race. I think that victims of IRA bombings might feel differently. Why not throw in something about the country being filled with lovable drunks?

(No, that is not my view, just a reflection on an odd sentence.)

2. yonkersconquers says

If there’s one thing that gets your Irish it’s a bully. Thanks to Farrell for standing up for his gay brother. You can be sure he means it too, he’s a class act.

3. Randy says

Like that he is speaking out against the Bullying. He was cute when he was younger, but now he is very handsome. Definitely a DILF! Hot and with a c*ck like his, what’s not to fall in love with.

4. jim says

Damm, can Farrell get any more…uuufffff??

Please tell me he wrote that copy himself, please!

5. yonkersconquers says

It’s not an odd sentence Paul R. Ireland is a genuinely friendly place, which you would know, if you’d ever been there (you clearly have not).

As for the IRA, there would not have been one if there hadn’t been a British Army shooting innocent Irish people in broad daylight (another thing you’d know, if you knew anything about Ireland).

Also, that war ended in the 1990’s. Hurry up and visit, your stereotypes need an update.

6. says

He was best man at his gay brother’s wedding.

He’s a true and loyal friend to us all. And check out his performance as a sweet-spirited bisexual in “A Home at the End of the World.”

7. Kevin says

The Irish have always had a way with words, haven’t they. Very well expressed. Go Colin!

8. sparks says

On a side note of purely shallow interest: he’s way hotter now than when he was younger.

9. AJ says

I have to echo the shallowness. DAMN he’s hot! Good lord!! Thanks, Colin. I would love to show my appreciation sometime… Personally.

10. Paul R says

@YonkersConquers: Yep. I don’t know anything about Ireland. Except that I’ve been there twice and about half my friends are Irish.

But I wouldn’t know anything. I’m a total idiot. And making sweeping generalizations about “race” is always a superb idea.

11. Molc says

Farrell is a fraud and a hypocrite. After appearing in rancidly homophobic films like ‘In Bruges’ (which basically through his character advocates for the random slaughter of gay men) he now decides that’s he’s against gay bullying/homophobia. Who he is trying to kid? Put your mouth where your bank balance isn’t-scumbag. Yes anti-gay bullies will really take notice after seeing this jerk-off in ‘In Bruges’.

12. Eric says

I lost all respect for him after seeing him in “Seven Psychopaths”. Perhaps a man with a gay brother and a child with a developmental disability should reconsider being in a movie that has characters throwing around “gay” and “faggot” every few seconds, and then turn around and start talking about “mongoloids”. I really don’t know what Farrell, Walken, and Rockwell were thinking.