Donald Trump | Gay Marriage | George Takei | News

BigGayDeal.com

George Takei and Donald Trump to Have Gay Marriage Lunch Summit in April in NYC

Takei

Star Trek's George Takei, a contestant on this season's Celebrity Apprentice, says he's taking Donald Trump to lunch to try and change his mind on same-sex marriage, the New York Daily News reports:

TrumpTakei, 74, said Thursday the two have a tentative lunch date set for April after they agreed to discuss the hot-button issue over hot plates in a top Manhattan restaurant.

“Next time I'm in New York, Mr. Trump, I might take you to Jean Georges for lunch, and maybe we can discuss marriage equality,” Takei proposed during an “Apprentice” conference call with reporters this week.

“You would be the perfect guy to teach me,” Trump responded. “You have a deal.”

During his failed run for the GOP nomination, Trump told Bill O'Reilly he is opposed to same-sex marriage because he "doesn't feel good" about it. He also compared it to an ugly golf club.

Added Takei: "I’m looking forward to the lunch. I really was serious. I think Mr. Trump is a decent, fair-minded guy, and I think we can have a very good discussion. I want to listen to his views and respond specifically to his concerns. The sense I get in my bones is that he’s a decent, sophisticated guy. I’m sure he knows many people who are gay or lesbian. My position is that the core of any good marriage is love and commitment."

Comments

1. That odious man uses the personal pronoun "I" more than any other human on earth.

Astoundingly large ego.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 2, 2012 8:04:45 AM

2. Set your phaser on Stun, Mr. Sulu!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 2, 2012 8:09:39 AM

3. Takei is amazing. I adore that man.

Posted by: EO | Mar 2, 2012 8:18:47 AM

4. You 1%ers enjoy your $500 lunch and discuss my civil rights.

Posted by: Charley | Mar 2, 2012 9:06:33 AM

5. If Takei can actually eat a meal while looking at Donald Trump he deserves some kind of award.

Posted by: jomicur | Mar 2, 2012 9:16:03 AM

6. Good for George. He might actually be able to make a difference. I hope he takes his husband along on that lunch date.

Posted by: Lymis | Mar 2, 2012 9:24:24 AM

7. Dear Donald,

Ugly golf club? no, the club is the same its the hole thats different. Get a clue

Posted by: George | Mar 2, 2012 9:43:13 AM

8. Good for George, but "he’s a decent, sophisticated guy"?

I could talk about Donald Trump for an hour and never come within spitting distance of those words. Gawdy, tacky, and obnoxious? Oh yeah. In fact I'd have to break out a thesaurus so as not to use them too often.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 2, 2012 11:20:30 AM

9. I agree with Takei- sometimes all a bigot needs is to know more about what they faux-hate.

On a related note, my mom STILL thinks that women choose to be gay while men are born that way. Ha. Even when I kindly explain how my gayness works, she just believes in her theory, thus proving that some people cannot learn easily. I have some hope for the 2012 Takei-Trump HomoSummit.

Posted by: Drew | Mar 2, 2012 11:33:16 AM

10. George is amazing. This is how you work with people...charm the hell out of them! (it's what I did for my family)

Posted by: zeddy | Mar 2, 2012 12:30:20 PM

11. I would sooner eat lunch with the devil - oh, wait ...

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Mar 2, 2012 3:52:12 PM

12. I have admired Mr. Takei for nearly 50 years. He is a true gentleman, kind person, and a gentle soul. If he can talk TO and actually change the "mind" OF that slime in a petri dish known as "The Donald" my admiration of him will only grow. If he is able to just sit across the table from that ratbastard and actually consume his lunch withOUT upchucking, it would be admirable. In any case, Mr. Takei, I am a true fan of yours. Best of luck SIR!

Posted by: Craig | Mar 2, 2012 10:35:43 PM

13. George you seem like a very nice man. Trump is not a nice person. He tries to verbally destroy people he hoesn't like. Don't eat lunch with him. However if you do, ask him what evidence those detectives he sent to Hawaii to investigate Obama's birth came up with. The only difference between Trump and pond scum is that Trump has money.

Posted by: jack | Mar 3, 2012 1:10:22 AM