Angelina Jolie | Brad Pitt | Gay Marriage | Weddings

BigGayDeal.com

Brangelina Engaged: No Hard Feelings

Brangelina01_102907In January, Andy reported that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie may get married sooner than later, despite the couple's repeated insistence that they'd wait until all Americans enjoyed full marriage equality. Back then, Pitt was saying:

We’d actually like to, and it seems to mean more and more to our kids. We made this declaration some time ago that we weren’t going to do it till everyone can. But I don’t think we’ll be able to hold out. It means so much to my kids, and they ask a lot. And it means something to me, too, to make that kind of commitment.

Indeed, they couldn't hold out. The couple's engaged, and TMZ reports that Equality California's got no hard feelings:

Rebekah Orr, Communications Director for Equality California, says the group is totally behind the Brangelina marriage, even if the right to vote is still not enjoyed by everyone. [sic]

She tells us, "Marriage is something that says ‘we're a family’ in a way that nothing else can ... No one has to deny that for themselves or their family to prove they are an ally and supporter of equality."

Comments

1. "Our Jen!" lol

Posted by: Bryce Forestieri | Apr 14, 2012 3:19:18 PM

2. I think you mean the right to marry, not vote, isn't available to everyone. Or have we lost that too?

Posted by: Brian | Apr 14, 2012 3:24:47 PM

3. Equality California is useless, but who cares if a celebrity couple gets married?

That said, they should have stuck to their word. Not that I care, but is the urge to marry so strong?

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 14, 2012 3:40:31 PM

4. 100% support for Brad and Angelina. Them and their 6 children deserve all the 1138 benefits, rights and protections provided on the basis of marital status as all families in the United States should. If anything should come out this, it shows the importance of marriage to couples and their children.

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | Apr 14, 2012 4:00:13 PM

5. Paul R Is the urge to marry so strong? I DK ask the thousands of Gays who have married in the last few years despite the fact that it is no legal in every state.

Posted by: Kim | Apr 14, 2012 4:10:25 PM

6. Good for them. Brad especially has been very outspoken and donated a lot of money to marriage equality so they have nothing to prove in my eyes. Get married and be happy!

Posted by: daws | Apr 14, 2012 4:53:15 PM

7. Of course they should marry if they want to. Isn't that what we are fighting for?

Posted by: Max | Apr 14, 2012 5:13:40 PM

8. I support them as well. All these pledges seem either overly optimistic (a passionate view by a straight person who never stops to think that it may be a generation before full equality happens) or opportunistic (a trendy excuse for why a couple is living together...the modern "we don't need a silly piece of paper to prove our love!"). Six kids get a lot of social, legal, and personal benefit from having married parents (everyone involved does) whichbis precisely why we are fighting for that right for ourselves. Good for them and may they'd continue defying the Hollywood odds!

Posted by: LLM | Apr 14, 2012 5:24:25 PM

9. Congratulations to the happy couple. They have always been in support of full equality and they deserve no less. I say bravo for speaking up and giving equality a platform and much bliss in your future marriage.

Posted by: truthteller | Apr 14, 2012 5:29:12 PM

10. Am I the only one who is disappointed that this couple backed down from their commitment. Guess what, yes, it's hard to remain in married when your kids are asking you why... That's just one of the many tough things same sex couples navigate ALL THE TIME. Part of standing in solidarity with an underprivileged group is the willingness to take on some of the discomfort and so on.... Wouldn't it be great if we could all say oh this whole not getting married thing is just so hard on us and out families, I think I'll just go ahead and get married? Yes, I want straight people to feel just a tiny bit of what our struggle actually is.

Posted by: Mike128 | Apr 14, 2012 6:01:14 PM

11. Taking the whole marriage equality issue out of it, a better lesson for the children would be to keep your promises, not keep your promises unless it's inconvenient.

Posted by: Eric | Apr 14, 2012 6:51:31 PM

12. Their kids > your stupid opinion on why they shouldn't.

Posted by: Jake | Apr 14, 2012 6:56:06 PM

13. I always thought that straight people not marrying as some sort of protest against marriage inequality was well-meaning but somewhat misguided. After all, the more people who do marry, especially those who have children, the more it proves how marriage is important and should be made available to everyone. I wouldn't begrudge them the privileges of marriage just because I am being denied them. Ultimately, their marriage is not about me. Best wishes to them.

Posted by: Abie | Apr 14, 2012 7:06:45 PM

14. @Jake: I have a feeling that this decision is less about "their kids" and more about what Angelina wants at any given moment. I do hope they continue to donate their money to gay rights - but I think the "its for our kids" stuff is just nonsense. If you really want something just for the kids, have a ceremony that's without the legal bits like rights, etc. And then tell them "we don't get legally married just like we don't go to that club that doesn't let in blacks, women, etc." - and you'll get what this is all so important when you get older.

Posted by: mike128 | Apr 14, 2012 7:32:31 PM

15. Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie had promised years ago that they would not marry until all gay citizens could marry in the US.

I guess they decided to scrap that promise & marry now that they've come to realize that gay Americans will NEVER have equal rights.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Apr 14, 2012 7:41:28 PM

16. I wish them all the best.
    Brad, Angelina I am available for adoption.

Posted by: RobWest | Apr 14, 2012 7:49:55 PM

17. Just proves again that straight people - no matter how well intentioned - just don't understand our issues.

Posted by: Carlton Nettleton | Apr 14, 2012 7:53:53 PM

18. I seriously doubt that their kids were clamboring for a marriage license. This is just a convenient excuse to exercise their inherent heterosexual entitlements.

Posted by: happyday | Apr 14, 2012 8:43:37 PM

19. I wish them the best...Seriously the people who are getting all upset because they are getting married are very sad.
    Brad has been very outspoken in support of marriage equality and has put his money where his mouth is. If we really are going to ask our straight allies to refrain from getting married, shouldn’t we be asking our gay brothers and sisters in states where it’s legal to wait until all states achieve marriage equality.

Posted by: Jayson | Apr 14, 2012 9:46:48 PM

20. Er... they're engaged. Doesn't mean they'll get married immediately.

Posted by: Yuki | Apr 14, 2012 9:53:39 PM

21. Quitters... disappointed they are going back on their word, but may Brad, Angie, their kids and her right leg be happy together.

Posted by: GraphicJack | Apr 14, 2012 10:16:16 PM

22. I am in full support for this couple. I believe society is strengthened when family units are solidified and its why I fight for full marriage equality. I know that they were well intentioned in their pledge, but agree with LLM that such pledges are overly optimistic and short sighted even when entered into by well meaning people. I am happy anytime good people find love and feel it strongly enough to commit permanently . Good on them and their children. I am not upset in the least.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Apr 14, 2012 11:27:23 PM

23. @JAKE Does it make you feel like a big man to come on here and bully people, calling their opinions "stupid"?

Posted by: Eric | Apr 14, 2012 11:44:19 PM

24. Brad Jolie and Angelina Pitt. How are they going to work it out?

Love the remark about "adopt me".

Posted by: uffda | Apr 15, 2012 12:22:06 AM

25. Anyone else think there is a Funny or Die sketch in the making here?

Brad goes on bended knee to beg the Gay Mafia (Ellen Degeneres, Ricky Martin, Wanda Sykes and Neil Patrick Harris) for permission to marry. Then RuPaul comes out with a spare ball gown and a lyric sheet for 'Stand By Your Man' and tells him "The time has come... for you to Lip Sync, For. Your. Wife!"

It could happen.