Family Research Council | News | Star Wars | Tony Perkins | Video Games

Electronic Arts Will Not Give In to Anti-Gay Protests

Ea

Video game maker Electronic Arts caused a bigger stir than they anticipated by including same-sex characters in their most recent Star Wars game and Mass Effect 3. Anti-gay activist Tony Perkins from the Family Research Council claimed "the biggest threat to the empire may be homosexual activists," and EA says they've received thousands of hate letters decrying their decision.

Company Vice President of communications Jeff Brown, however, says they refuse to back down -- and weren't, contrary to right wing opinion, pressured by gay activists.

"Every one of EA's games includes ESRB content descriptors so it's hard to believe anyone is surprised by the content. This isn't about protecting children, it's about political harassment," he told GamesIndustry International. "EA has not been pressured by any groups to include LGBT characters in our games. However, we have met with LBGT groups and sponsored industry forums to discuss content and harassment of players in online forums. In short, we do put options for same-sex relationships in our games; we don't tolerate hate speech on our forums." He also says most of the letters are coming from the Florida Family Association.

Matt Kane from GLAAD compared EA's refusal to negotiate with the right to Starbucks' work against activists who protest their gay inclusion and the Million Moms movement who support JC Penney's hiring Ellen DeGeneres.

"Anti-LGBT campaigns are falling into a pretty consistent pattern these days, in which messages of hate directed at our allies are met with an overwhelming outpouring of support for our allies in response," Kane noted. "Following Starbucks' announcing public support for marriage equality, 25,000 people signed a "Dump Starbucks" campaign, which in turn inspired more than 600,000 people to sign on to a "Thank Starbucks" campaign.

He continued, "The group 'One Million Moms' tried to have Ellen Degeneres fired from her role as a spokesperson for JC Penny, but the public expressions of support JC Penny received following the Stand Up for Ellen campaign were so numerous that 'One Million Moms' announced they would be 'moving on to other things.' Trying to rally Americans around messages rooted in hate is a losing proposition."

When will the right learn that lesson? Probably not before finding themselves getting swept into history's figurative dustbin.

Comments

1. Anti-gay groups won't get far with trying to get boycott of games. Players are more concerned by game-play than optional same-sex paths. It's not like EA was the first to even do this. Fable, Dragon Age, Bully, Skyrim; all allowed you to have gay relationships.

Posted by: LiamB | Apr 5, 2012 9:50:45 AM

2. What do I have to do to get NOM, FOTF, etc., to boycott my business? I need the publicity, and you just can't buy this kind of exposure.

Hey, Tony Perkins: My business supports marriage equality and ENDA and the repeal of DOMA! Boycott me already!

Posted by: Inis | Apr 5, 2012 11:27:23 AM

3. This story should include an easy way for us all to thank EA!

Posted by: stuartismygod | Apr 5, 2012 1:24:43 PM

4. Yeah, I've bought Mass Effect 3 (it's great, even the ending) but how else can we thank them?

Posted by: CG | Apr 5, 2012 1:44:32 PM

5. Seriously, Starbucks gets a bump from NOM, EA releases a mature response to hate-mongering anti-Family Research Council. . . can we have them hate on something we really like that needs the boost even more?

Also, can someone tell me what the right pairing is for SWToR? So far, only my Wookie accepts courting gifts, which is kinda hot, but I want to know my options.

Posted by: AG | Apr 5, 2012 5:47:29 PM

6. Unless they snuck the patch in, Gay relationships are not in SWTOR. They decided to include them too late in the development process. Since everything is fully voiced, they said it will appear in a later patch which hasn't gone live yet.

Posted by: Polyboy | Apr 5, 2012 7:57:51 PM

7. As a straight person, I can safely tell the anti-gay wingnuts that I saw all of the Ellen/JC Penny commercials during the Super Bowl and I did not change to gay. I purchase Starbucks products and have Friends that work there. One Friend is Lesbian but she was long before Starbucks. Anyway, I did not change to gay and neither did my Friends.
    I will probably play this game and I'll bet I won't change to gay.
    None of these places/things gave me a lesson of sexual orientation and there was not a gay parade going on.
    Stop being haters. You don't have to accept what you don't like but that doesn't mean it's wrong or an agenda.
    The majority are for the rights of all-and that includes Other humans who are LGBT.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 5, 2012 10:05:41 PM

8. How insightful of yours, SEAN.

Posted by: Stuart | Apr 7, 2012 2:00:16 AM

9. Straight people exist, gay people exist. White people exist, Black people exist... if they pop up time to time in a game or story it's just another character or plot to me. Get over it it's 2012 not 1812.

Posted by: xSushi | Apr 9, 2012 6:54:14 AM

10. Hey as long as I can shoot the gays or kill them in the game I'm fine with that. BTW before you go all gay on me remember that I can shoot non-gay NPC's so this is just equal opportunity. And I'm really waiting for polygamy, after all we are all adutls right?

Posted by: Mongo | Apr 11, 2012 4:09:48 PM