NOM’s Brian Brown Hacked Again

Brian-Brown-NOM-hacked

Brian S. Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage, should probably reassess whatever process he uses to devise computer passwords. Yesterday, for the second time in a week, NOM and Brian were the victims of thoroughly amusing (though probably illegal and therefore wrong) act of hacktivism. The resulting Tweets, viewable above, are from TheNewCivilRightsMovement.com; you can view the original story there.

The earlier act of hacktivism, which Towleroad covered at length this week, was probably more amusing — mostly because it wasn't entirely clear that a hack had taken place at all. The best bit was this blog, posted to the NOM site on Thursday:

… I must admit that we were angered when our in house documents were released but we've since had time to reflect on the strategies we've employed to divide Americans against each other on the issue of marriage. Truth be told, marriage is about bringing people together, not pushing them apart and that's exactly what this organization has been about over the past few years.

Aside from that on an unrelated matter, we've stifled free speech on our social media online properties. We're rectifying that this morning by removing the bans on the hundreds and hundreds of our opponents our staff imposed. We want to encourage an open and fair discussion about marriage and that can only happen if we welcome our outspoken opponents back into the dialogue.

We apologize for our transgressions. We're turning over a new leaf with constitutional and civil rights as our primary focus going forward. We hope you will stand with us as we turn things around for the better.

Reading that, one thought: Could it be true? Might it be possible to talk to these people? To engage in civilized discourse? To win hearts and minds?

Alas, no. Within 24 hours, NOM was screaming about being attacked by sodomy-crazed militants and begging supporters to send money to bolster the org's obviously ragged security systems. (Which raises the question: Isn't God supposed to provide believers with some kind of impenetrable defense against better-armed foes? What's the IT equivalent of David's slingshot?) So whoever it was that hacked Brian's Twitter account yesterday felt no need play nice, and his or her tweets were a good deal less friendly than the previous hacktivists' words. Interestingly, many of them seem no less true for that.

Comments

1. DannyEastVillage says

I TAKE ISSUE with this statement:

“Yesterday, for the second time in a week, NOM and Brian were the victims of thoroughly amusing (though probably illegal and therefore wrong) act of hacktivism.”

Just because something is illegal that doesn’t make it “wrong” any more than the legality of attacking gay people makes it “right.”

Your moralizing analysis is just silly.

2. Brandon K. Thorpp says

DannyEastVillage:

I’m just kidding. Generally there’s a taboo against condoning illegal behavior in print, lest the victim of said behavior be litigious. The “illegal and therefore wrong” thing is a kind of ironic disclaimer. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Thanks for reading,
    – BKT

3. J.A. Polen says

I guess this would be more funny if it weren’t for the fact that it’s pretty accurate. Sure they’d never come out and actually say any of this, but they sure as hell think it.

4. JT says

The other obvious answer to the David question is that David was pleasing in god’s sight (as was his lover Jonathan). NOM and Brown are therefore doing what god hates.

5. says

Poor guy! If it’s not pesky facts and trying to cover up all those mystery donors, now he has to deal with you radical homosexualists. As a happily married man myself, I can only recommend that he let his wife run his life. Works for me!

6. says

Maybe it’s God doing it. In Old Testament times it was common for God to interact directly with his people and since NOM wants to turn the clock back… Maybe Mr. Brown should wise up before he’s eaten by bears or swallowed by a whale. Stranger things have happened.

7. Caliban says

Elsewhere it was noted that the hacker posted Brown’s password so others could get in on the fun and games. I don’t know why really, but it’s amusing to me that his password was (I’m sure it’s been changed since so I’m not giving away secret info here) “mountaindew.”
    The EXTREME soft drink for EXTREME homophobes!

I would have guessed “littledebbie,” “maggiesabitch” or maybe “iwantdicksobadIcantasteit!”

8. intristin says

I don’t believe for a second that they are being hacked. I believe they are making this up in an effort to raise money.

“Oh know, look at us, we are being hacked, we are such victims, send us money”

You notice they are not calling on anyone to look into it. They are just asking for money!

9. Brian Brownstain. says

Please leave me alone. Just because I scam thousands of dollars from ignorant people (Daughter of Eve) does not give you homosexualist’s the right to print my thoughts and feelings.

10. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

AmericaBlog posted a few other Twitter messages from Brian S. Brown that are too cute for words:

“Alright, I admit it. I’ve had a crush on that hot daddy @JoeMyGod for years now.”

“Homophobes need gay love too! I AM CRYING OUT FOR HELP.”

“i’ve just swallowed a frozen womble, and now i feel ragga… i’m selling some limited edition Chris Eubank dildos, if anyone wants one…”

11. unokhan says

the soviet propagandists in the stalin era did come up with the phrase ‘rootless cosmopolitanism’ to refer obliquely to zionist colonial movements within the ussr, but governance during stalin did not “target minorities groups” –these hackers are, grammatically and historically, rather lame