Comic Books | News

BigGayDeal.com

Major DC Comics Character To Come Out Of The Closet

BoosterGoldLast year, during an interview with The Advocate about lesbian superhero Batwoman's solo series, DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio said any additional gay characters in the company's roster would most likely be new.

"One of the things we’re very focused on doing for these types of [LGBT-inclusive] stories is rather than [change an existing] character, we want to make sure that this is the basis of who that character is right from the start," he said.

Apparently he and his colleagues had a change of heart, because Bleeding Cool reports that at the Kapow! convention in London this weekend, DiDio said an established character will soon announce his or her same-sex desires.

DiDio stated that they had changed DC’s policy in this regard. And they are about to reintroduce a previously existing DC character who was previously straight and now will be “one of our most prominent gay characters.”

As Bob Wayne explained that, just like the President of the United States, the co-publisher’s policy on this “has evolved.”

There's plenty of speculation among fanboys over who it may be, with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and time traveling self-promoter Booster Gold (pictured) among some of the most popular guesses, but note that DiDio said they'll "reintroduce" an existing character. All three of those heroes are already prominently featured in the company's titles.

Maybe one of the many Supermen from comics past will come back and come out?

Comments

1. They're reintroducing a lot of the Earth 2/JSA characters at the moment, and being Earth 2, might have a little more balls in the way they establishes differences from their main-universe counterparts.

Posted by: Scottevill | May 21, 2012 9:49:21 AM

2. Though I love their bromance, I do think finally caving into Booster Gold/Blue Beetle love would be kind of squee-worthy. <3

Posted by: luminum | May 21, 2012 10:15:44 AM

3. Major DC comic characters?

Never heard of this (of course I really haven't read the comics in abt. 10 years or so.

Get back to me when some like...oh, Steel comes out.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 21, 2012 10:25:52 AM

4. Aquaman! Swimmer's build, blonde, bearded, and he pinged my gaydar since the 1980's.

Posted by: Strepsi | May 21, 2012 10:35:34 AM

5. @Luminum

Totally agreed! They have always made such a great couple. It would be amazing if DC officially made them their first gay couple.

Posted by: Tonic | May 21, 2012 11:10:54 AM

6. @Strepsi

and completely in love with Wonder Woman, IIRC.

Not down with the New Gods lately, but I wonder whether Darkseid throw (yet another) fit if his son, Orion, turned out to be gay?

Posted by: Chitown Kev | May 21, 2012 11:25:22 AM

7. I'm guessing the Huntress.

Posted by: BGKev | May 21, 2012 11:37:48 AM

8. No doubt Miss Perkins will have a hissy fit. Think of the children! Even though their core demographic isn't little kids.

Posted by: Sylvatica | May 21, 2012 12:06:31 PM

9. if it's the character pictured there, I'm going to want to punch dc. lol. I want a badass non-stereotypical character, not someone who farts stars and rainbows (not that I wouldn't want that, too). I just think it's important for people to see a diversity of what gay people can look and act like, especially the (predominantly male) crowd that reads comics.

Posted by: R | May 21, 2012 12:10:58 PM

10. Aquaman (Earth 1) is quite decidedly heterosexual. (Just cuz a guy has nice blonde hair doesn't mean he's gay... unforunately).

I think the Earth 2 thing might be likely, but I also think that people will think an "Earth 2 character" coming out will be positioning the character as a decidedly second-string hero.

I was personally hoping that Red Robin or Red Hood would wind up gay. Since both of them are in the current continuum, though, they're out.

Heroes that I believe are not represented in the current continuum include:

> Donna Troy (the original Wonder Girl - but I think the new character will be male since we already have BatWoman)

> Garth (the original Aqualad)

> Guy Gardner or Kyle Rayner (Green Lantern) (heh)

> Captain Atom (don't ask, don't tell?)

> Orion (New Gods)

> Black Lightning

> the Atom

Honestly, none of these thrill me. I'd love to have them surprise us and have Nightwing come out. (Sorry Barbara.)

Can anyone think of any I haven't?

One last thing - Don't forget about Apollo and the Midnighter, who have been around for years and are now part of the main DC Universe.

Posted by: Grant | May 21, 2012 12:34:55 PM

11. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being the Martian Manhunter. That way, if DC gets too much flack, they could always go the "he's alien and so human sexuality is foreign to him" excuse that I remember being thrown around when Marvel allowed Shatterstar to "come out" in the pages of "X-Factor." However, as MM is a member of Stormwatch alongside previously committed gay couple Apollo and Midnighter, maybe it might not be him (although I'm not sure if A&M are out in the "New 52" continuity).

Posted by: Keith | May 21, 2012 1:26:10 PM

12. If they are oging to ReIntroduce a character and they will be gay then it is VIBE. Geoff Johns, writer of Augaman and one of the big wigs at DC, has said he is writing the reintroduction of VIBE, a latin american character from the 80's who appeared in the Justice League comics (I believe it was Justice League International). He was killed off in the old universe, but if he's coming back, why not make him gay? I had thought it would be Tim Drake but they already have one character on that team who is gay so I don't think they'll go there.

Posted by: Theo | May 21, 2012 2:40:18 PM

13. We haven't seen Wally West yet either.

Posted by: Reidsb | May 21, 2012 3:11:38 PM

14. @Chitown Kev Greg Rucka during his run on Wonder Woman pretty much implied that the Amazon once had a lesbian relationship with a blacksmith named Io.

Posted by: Peter | May 21, 2012 3:49:13 PM

15. How about Mr. Mxyzptlk or Krypto?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 21, 2012 5:12:59 PM

16. My bet is Wally West, Garth(Aqualad), or Alan Scott or one of the Earth-Two characters that we have not seen yet in the reboot. It sounds like they are talking about a gay man instead of a lesbian character. The only gay characters that are in the comics right now I think are Batwoman, Midnighter & Apollo (Stormwatch), Bunker (Teen Titans), Lightning Lass, Shrinking Violet, Power Boy, and Gravity Kid(Legion of Super-Heroes). I think that's it. The only major gay character pre-reboot that they have not reintroduced is Obsidian, which would be Alan Scott (Earth-2's Green Lantern's) son. And since they just showed Alan Scott in Earth-2, perhaps its him.

Posted by: Darren | May 21, 2012 6:21:14 PM

17. Well, they already have Batwoman as a very strong Lesbian lead. Therefore, my bet is on a gay man.

Alan Scott on Earth 2 is too young to have had Obsidian yet.

Posted by: facts | May 21, 2012 7:36:14 PM

18. I hope it's not Alan Scott. They've already introduced him as a golden boy media figure, so that would be pretty annoying and trite to cast him as gay, smacking of Ozymandias. Plus, yeah, doing it via Earth 2 would be a cop out. Wally West is the most prominent character that's been mentioned, with the deepest roots. That would be a pretty strong statement. But Garth/Aqualad was always a favorite of mine, so it'd be kind of cool if it were him.

Posted by: Movies on a Plane | May 21, 2012 9:42:46 PM

19. My vote's actually on Captain Marvel (or Shazam as he'll apparently be known now). He's a pretty major character, and he hasn't really been introduced yet (so far it's just been Billy Batson). Billy's also kinda off to a rough start in his new home, so it could be a way for DC to reach out to gay teens trying to deal with coming out (Their own kind of "It Gets Better" deal).

Posted by: Jack | May 21, 2012 11:18:48 PM