Gay Marriage | News | T.I.

T.I. Does Not Care About Gay Marriage

TIGayMarriageRapper T.I. was asked about gay marriage on Hot 97 yesterday, just two days after fellow hip-hop artist Jay-Z said he agrees with President Obama on granting full marriage rights to same-sex couples.

The response is far more tepid:

I don't care. I don't see what the big deal is, why some people are so against it. Why would you be so against it if it doesn't affect you or your lifestyle? I'm not in that world and it doesn't affect me if they did or they didn't... I don't care enough one way or another.

Unless perhaps if the impact hurts others.

T.I. has previously said he thinks celebrities should be able to speak out against gay rights without being "shut down."

Comments

1. T.I. continues to prove what a strong role model he is.

Posted by: C.J. | May 17, 2012 2:10:55 PM

2. sounds like his views are, uh, evolving.

Posted by: Danny in the East Village | May 17, 2012 2:16:17 PM

3. @SunnyD: YOUR POSTING IS TOTALLY, UNFORGIVABLY DISGUSTING.

Posted by: Danny in the East Village | May 17, 2012 2:17:04 PM

4. "Who care's what blacks have to say..."

Obviously, millions of middle-class White kids who've made HipHop & Rap music a multi- billion dollar business.

Silly...silly...silly....don't even TRY to think before you speak.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 17, 2012 2:20:38 PM

5. OMG! give him a break. A year ago Jay-Z wasn't standing up for gay rights either.

His opinion evolved to "Hey, it's no big deal or skin off my back! Let them get married"

Isn't that all we're asking straights to do anyway. Let us be.

JEEEEEEZ. Sometimes people on this blog are the WORST.

Posted by: David in NYC | May 17, 2012 2:31:50 PM

6. This is like the boxer story. Why would I possibly care what T.I. thinks about my life?

Posted by: Paul R | May 17, 2012 2:38:55 PM

7. @DAVID IN NYC: that's why I refer to this web site as Trollroad sometimes.

Posted by: TyN | May 17, 2012 2:39:07 PM

8. Since Jay Z's statement on gay marriage all of a sudden it's looking very uncool to be a homophobe in the hip hop community.

Posted by: NY2.0 | May 17, 2012 2:40:40 PM

9. Read his book, Decoded, it makes zero sense. Luckily, I bought mine at a garage sale for $1.00. Wasted money.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | May 17, 2012 2:44:09 PM

10. This seems weird to criticize. He's not against it and wouldn't vote against it. I doubt his "if it doesn't affect me" stance would carry over to something like genocide, so I think it's a valid opinion to have, especially in hip-hop.

Posted by: Marcus | May 17, 2012 2:48:05 PM

11. Never heard of him.

Posted by: Lankyguy | May 17, 2012 2:55:50 PM

12. This is what he said on MTV yesterday:

"Just to speak honestly and being frank, I don't care," the "Live Your Life" MC said...when he appeared on Wednesday's "RapFix Live." "I think that if a matter doesn't affect your daily life, you shouldn't take a hard stand on it. If it's not something that directly affects you, if it doesn't affect you, what difference does it make to you what other people are doing with their lives?"

And while some couldn't care less what T.I. says, as Derrick stated, their are millions of kids (teens) that listen to rappers (T.I.). If his statement can make any one of them pause and think because "TI, Jay-Z, or Will Smith" said it, then in my opinion, it's moving the ball forward.

Posted by: Belthazar | May 17, 2012 3:09:31 PM

13. "If something doesn't affect you, you should not take a strong position against it." --- So, in the 60s, white people should have just turned a blind eye to the civl rights movement, right? Racism didn't really affect them much.

Posted by: Trib | May 17, 2012 3:11:13 PM

14. I don't have strong feeling about his statement one way or the other, but his comments are indicative of why gay rights and marriage equality fail so often at the ballot box.

Many people are like him, their attitude about is, "Who cares? Why not?" Unfortunately the opponents of gay rights are not quite so passive and sanguine in their attitudes. Thanks to the fear-mongers in the Religious Right and GOP (which are often the same thing), they have people terrified that gays will destroy the world or some such hooey.

And fear is a much better motivator to get people into the voting booth than "Meh. Doesn't matter much to me."

Posted by: Caliban | May 17, 2012 3:19:44 PM

15. Trib, while spoken in the 'negative' and maybe not then most eloquent and fluent statement, you know very well what he meant. "If something [gay marriage] doesn't affect you, you should not take a strong position against it [gay marriage]." But, I get the feeling you knew the contextual meaning and it did not matter!

Posted by: Belthazar | May 17, 2012 3:29:37 PM

16. THOMSON, I definitely can't agree with you there. He's knock-out hot--and I'm perfectly glad for him to be--evolving.

Posted by: Danny in the East Village | May 17, 2012 3:34:46 PM

17. True, Caliban, and that goes for many gays as well. Because in these individuals' eyes, gay isn't an issue, not a concern in their every day lives, so why make an issue of a non-issue? The problem is that anti-gays are doing just that and that's why there is an issue and why it is important to be active. Because active discrimination against legal citizens does harm us all in one way or another.

Overall, I'm not totally pleased nor totally upset with TI's comments. But it's better than a negative comment and it's positive enough to the point it could, hopefully, change a few hearts and minds.

Posted by: Francis | May 17, 2012 3:38:53 PM

18. Andrew, in your posts, you seem to have an amazing ability to miss the point of what someone is saying. Here, T.I. is saying that "people should not care whether or not gays should be able to get married." He's essentially saying "live and let live," and admonishing people who fight against the rights of others.

This is a statement of support, yet you seem to put a negative spin on it. What's up with that?

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | May 17, 2012 3:42:40 PM

19. "If something doesn't affect you, you should not take a strong position against it."

Am I misreading this? To me it sounds like he's saying people shouldn't be against gay marriage, because it doesn't affect them, right?

Posted by: Rafi | May 17, 2012 3:59:42 PM

20. I see his comments as positive. The Hiphop and rap community is hardly known for being gay friendly, so his "who cares" comment is a step in the right direction. If people who see him as a role model are standing at the ballot box facing a gay-marriage question, and they have the same "who cares what people do" attitude, perhaps they will vote in our favor.

Posted by: JD | May 17, 2012 4:09:22 PM

21. I am very pleased with the change of climate in the hip-hop world. This guy doesn't attempt to intimidate me like an active homophobe would. "Those who are not against us are for us?"
    Soon there will be almost no one in the hip-hop world willing to incite violence against us. We are definitely winning.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 17, 2012 4:58:32 PM

22. Caliban has a good point: Fear is a much better motivator than, 'Meh. It don't matter to me.' That said, there is a difference between an evolving attitude and stagnant but inconsistent attitudes. We do need more people to realize that equality and freedom are EVERYBODY'S issue, that Pastor Niemueller's situation is, eventually, the situation we could each face.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | May 17, 2012 5:01:00 PM

23. there's a terrific Manhattan Mini Storage poster that reads:
    "If you don't like gay marriage, then don't get gay married."

Posted by: shane | May 17, 2012 7:27:25 PM

24. you are misunderstanding. When he says "you should not take a strong position against it" the "it" he refers to is "gay marriage", not "people who are against gay marriage". The meaning of "it" is clear throughout his entire statement and I am surprised at everyone is misunderstanding.

It is a tepid endorsement but it's a helluva lot better than speaking out against it. ("it" again here, refers to gay marriage)

Posted by: Lily | May 17, 2012 10:18:50 PM

25. "I don't care enough one way or another."

T.I. is expressing antipathy towards gay rights for those struggling with reading comprehension.

Posted by: webdemom | May 17, 2012 11:31:42 PM