Discrimination | Gay Marriage | News | Sports

Update On Manny Pacquiao's Anti-Gay Controversy

MannyBoycottThere have been some fast-moving developments in the queer case of Manny Pacquiao, the Filipino boxer who caused a stir this week by coming out against gay marriage.

First and foremost, the Courage Campaign is currently calling on Nike to drop Pacquiao as a spokesman.

Meanwhile, Pacquiao himself has clarified his remarks, saying, "I only voiced out my opinion that same-sex marriage is against the law of God. I’m not against homosexuals. I have a relative who is also gay. We cannot do anything if they were born that way. What I do not want is when you disobey the commandment of God."

And the entertainment show Extra will reportedly go forward with their interview with Pacquiao even though the entertainment complex where they shoot, LA's The Grove, has banned him.

The LA Times explains:

Pacquiao spokesman Fred Sternburg told The Times that the boxer will be interviewed by "Extra" host Mario Lopez at another location. The show is usually taped at The Grove.

Sternburg also said the controversy has been blown out of proportion by inaccurate comment's about his position. "[Manny's] not supportive of gay marriage, but he has nothing against gay people," he said.

The Grove announced the ban Tuesday evening.

"Based on news reports of statements made by Mr. Pacquiao, we have made it be known that he is not welcome at the Grove and will not be interviewed here now or in the future. The Grove is a gathering place for all Angelenos and not a place for intolerance," the Grove said in a statement.
...
In an interview with National Conservative Examiner, Pacquiao addressed President Obama's recent endorsement of gay marriage.

"God's words first ... obey God's law first before considering the laws of man," Pacquiao told the Examiner. "God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married. It should not be of the same sex, so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah."

You can be sure that Mario Lopez will have plenty to discuss with the pugilist.

Comments

1. I'm sick of the way bigots and homophobes and religious extremists backpedal and make stupid excuses--saying how they don't 'believe in' gay marriage but have 'nothing against' gays. So he doesn't want to be branded a homophobe but he says we are against the "laws" of God?

YOU ARE A BIGOT. Plain and simple.

I'm also tired of seeing the media let these people off easy. I'm sure Mario Lopez is just going to take his word for it and stick to some script. It's not like he's exactly a hard-hitting journalist. He hosts an entertainment show, after all.

As for the Grove, I'm very heartened by their unequivocal response. That's the way we're going to get progress and I applaud them for doing everything in their power to stand up to this BS hatemongering.

Posted by: atomic | May 16, 2012 4:30:23 PM

2. @Atomic - i always tell people if you are against gay marriage then you are not friend.

Mario Lopez will probably be kissing his ass. Maria Lopez is such a hack - i don't see the appeal

Posted by: Alex | May 16, 2012 4:34:50 PM

3. I can't tell from the article if Pacquiao openly-supported the literal Leviticus 20:13 “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.” Or, that the verse from Leviticus was added for editorial-context.

Either-way, NIKE should drop him.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | May 16, 2012 4:39:56 PM

4. The "friend" defense doesn't work to condone racism and the goes for any other form of bigotry.

Posted by: Sam | May 16, 2012 4:44:24 PM

5. His god's proclamations mean as much to me as zeus'.

Posted by: Jersey | May 16, 2012 4:44:29 PM

6. Thank you, Towleroad staff, for using the word "queer" in its proper context. The kind of ignorance that Manny Pacquiao spouts, that is indeed queerness! My heartfelt prayer is that one day soon, every LGBT person will realize that the queer isn't the man or woman they see in the mirror. It's the "Christian" minister in his pulpit, preaching hetero-bigotry at the church down the street.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 16, 2012 4:45:29 PM

7. "I'm not against Filipinos. I know several of them and they're all very nice. I just don't think they should be able to get married."

Sounds just as bogus when you replace "Filipinos" with "Homosexuals".

These pathetic cowards can't even own their own prejudice. If you're that wishywashy about it, then why not just be for equal treatment under the civil law? I promise, you'll still be able to think gays are icky.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 16, 2012 4:52:11 PM

8. All you need to do is google "pacquiao adultery" to see how much the business of other people needs minding.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | May 16, 2012 4:54:38 PM

9. His "clarification" only makes him look even more ridiculous.

On the one hand he acknowleges homosexuality as an inherent personal trait (i.e. "born that way") - or put another way, is a "God given" trait - and then goes on to say that acting on that inherent trait is against God's commandment.

So basically you can "be" gay, but you can't "do" gay?

Amusingly, his acknowledgment that homosexuality is an inherent physical trait bestowed at birth - like for example sex and race - only make his later condemnation of gay marriage look even more bigoted (if thats possible).

The logical contortions these people go through to justify their bigotry is amazing. But what else should we expect from someone whose job involves being hit in the head repeatedly?

Posted by: AERES | May 16, 2012 4:55:13 PM

10. The man is a bible thumping bigot. Of course he and the cronies who live off him are doing damage control right now. Wait till his sponsers drop him and see how big his mouth is!

Manny, you have shamed your country. The Pinoys I know who were so proud of you are now disgusted with you. Go back to PI with your head hung low! And think before you open that big mouth again!

Posted by: Terry | May 16, 2012 4:56:03 PM

11. Ooooh, it's not that he's a bigot, it's just that he's a bigot.

wot

Posted by: RJ | May 16, 2012 4:56:30 PM

12. Who really cares. This is a man whose job is to attempt to beat someone into submission. His life is built on the premise that it is acceptable to use violence to attain fame and fortune. He is just another Roman gladiator trying to produce a bloodletting and brain damage to another human to entertain the screaming masses. Neither his opinion nor his fame has one iota of relevance to my life or the the lives of billions of others on this planet.

Posted by: vanndean | May 16, 2012 5:02:17 PM

13. Am I wrong in thinking that if you say you're against same sex marriage but you have "nothing against LGBT people" you're still a bigot?

I mean I just came out of the closet. It's been a nightmare dealing with my own family even at 28 but now dealing with things like this..geez..

Posted by: Lou Gagliardi | May 16, 2012 5:06:37 PM

14. Wind it up, you guys know what to do ...

Posted by: Marc | May 16, 2012 5:14:48 PM

15. I second the sentiment that the opinions of a boxer (much less one who isn't even a US citizen) couldn't mean much less to me.

Posted by: Paul R | May 16, 2012 5:16:06 PM

16. Manny is entitled to his opinion just as everyone else is, and this story proves the power of how false information can infiltrate the Internet at a rapid pace. The author of the original article, that started this, Granville Ampong is admitting to "twisting" Manny's words.

So who's at true fault here? The person expressing his beliefs or the author for creating a false statement?

Posted by: Craig | May 16, 2012 5:16:34 PM

17. Among his many inconsistencies, I have a particular problem with this quote:

"God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married."

I know of nothing in the Bible that even remotely addresses "legal" or "civil" marriage.

Marriage equality should exist in our laws and our society. Religions are free to have their own requirements for the administration of their rites.

Posted by: Tom | May 16, 2012 5:25:35 PM

18. Unlike religious beliefs, sexual orientation is usually not a choice. LGBT rights trump religious "beliefs," or more accurately bigotry, every time.

Posted by: Brian B. | May 16, 2012 5:30:23 PM

19. No, Mr. Pacquiao. It's 2012, and you can no longer choose to run with the hares and hunt with the hounds.

You cannot be my friend if you believe I am not married my beloved husband.

You do not respect me if you believe that your God treats me as an aberration.

If you deny me my civil rights, you are against me.

You feel I am less worthy.

You think my behavior abhorrent.

You think you are justified in treating me as a second class citizen.

You are wrong, Mr. Pacquaio. I will not support any corporation for which you are a spokesman or any type of event at which you might appear, and I will be sure to let any corporation that may seek your endorsement know of feelings.

Posted by: Elsewhere | May 16, 2012 5:34:58 PM

20. Enough of this "god's law" nonsense. I'm tired of hearing it.

@Lou: gird your loins, baby, it's a daily battle, it never ends!

Posted by: jim | May 16, 2012 5:36:28 PM

21. Sorry for this in advance...but if you're from the pilipines and you like pilipino girls...but don't like pilipino men...good for you. STAY OUT of my f-in sex life & think about going back to the pillipines!!!

Posted by: Paul B. | May 16, 2012 5:54:51 PM

22. He's not a bigot. He's a stupid and uneducated brainless moron. We really should not be focusing on the words of prizefighters. We should be focusing on the words of RELIGIOUS LEADERS.

Posted by: JeffNYC | May 16, 2012 6:03:26 PM

23. Why is it that supposedly 'religious' followers/leaders are always the ones breaking their own stupid religious 'rules' and then condeming others and pointing fingers? Pathetic. If he is considered a role model all the more disgusting.

Posted by: SFshawn | May 16, 2012 6:14:17 PM

24. I don't remember asking for the opinion of foreigners about American laws pertaining to American gay people.

Posted by: David Hearn | May 16, 2012 6:14:38 PM

25. blown out of proportion my a** you have someone say you should be killed and tell me it's blown out of proportion; if he had said it about women or blacks he would already have been fired. there is nothing to clarify dead is dead, and so should his career be as a spokes person.

Posted by: john | May 16, 2012 6:25:59 PM