Update On Manny Pacquiao’s Anti-Gay Controversy

MannyBoycottThere have been some fast-moving developments in the queer case of Manny Pacquiao, the Filipino boxer who caused a stir this week by coming out against gay marriage.

First and foremost, the Courage Campaign is currently calling on Nike to drop Pacquiao as a spokesman.

Meanwhile, Pacquiao himself has clarified his remarks, saying, "I only voiced out my opinion that same-sex marriage is against the law of God. I’m not against homosexuals. I have a relative who is also gay. We cannot do anything if they were born that way. What I do not want is when you disobey the commandment of God."

And the entertainment show Extra will reportedly go forward with their interview with Pacquiao even though the entertainment complex where they shoot, LA's The Grove, has banned him.

The LA Times explains:

Pacquiao spokesman Fred Sternburg told The Times that the boxer will be interviewed by "Extra" host Mario Lopez at another location. The show is usually taped at The Grove.

Sternburg also said the controversy has been blown out of proportion by inaccurate comment's about his position. "[Manny's] not supportive of gay marriage, but he has nothing against gay people," he said.

The Grove announced the ban Tuesday evening.

"Based on news reports of statements made by Mr. Pacquiao, we have made it be known that he is not welcome at the Grove and will not be interviewed here now or in the future. The Grove is a gathering place for all Angelenos and not a place for intolerance," the Grove said in a statement.

In an interview with National Conservative Examiner, Pacquiao addressed President Obama's recent endorsement of gay marriage.

"God's words first … obey God's law first before considering the laws of man," Pacquiao told the Examiner. "God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married. It should not be of the same sex, so as to adulterate the altar of matrimony, like in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah."

You can be sure that Mario Lopez will have plenty to discuss with the pugilist.

Comments

1. atomic says

I’m sick of the way bigots and homophobes and religious extremists backpedal and make stupid excuses–saying how they don’t ‘believe in’ gay marriage but have ‘nothing against’ gays. So he doesn’t want to be branded a homophobe but he says we are against the “laws” of God?

YOU ARE A BIGOT. Plain and simple.

I’m also tired of seeing the media let these people off easy. I’m sure Mario Lopez is just going to take his word for it and stick to some script. It’s not like he’s exactly a hard-hitting journalist. He hosts an entertainment show, after all.

As for the Grove, I’m very heartened by their unequivocal response. That’s the way we’re going to get progress and I applaud them for doing everything in their power to stand up to this BS hatemongering.

2. Alex says

@Atomic – i always tell people if you are against gay marriage then you are not friend.

Mario Lopez will probably be kissing his ass. Maria Lopez is such a hack – i don’t see the appeal

3. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

I can’t tell from the article if Pacquiao openly-supported the literal Leviticus 20:13 “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.” Or, that the verse from Leviticus was added for editorial-context.

Either-way, NIKE should drop him.

4. Sam says

The “friend” defense doesn’t work to condone racism and the goes for any other form of bigotry.

5. says

Thank you, Towleroad staff, for using the word “queer” in its proper context. The kind of ignorance that Manny Pacquiao spouts, that is indeed queerness! My heartfelt prayer is that one day soon, every LGBT person will realize that the queer isn’t the man or woman they see in the mirror. It’s the “Christian” minister in his pulpit, preaching hetero-bigotry at the church down the street.

6. The Milkman says

“I’m not against Filipinos. I know several of them and they’re all very nice. I just don’t think they should be able to get married.”

Sounds just as bogus when you replace “Filipinos” with “Homosexuals”.

These pathetic cowards can’t even own their own prejudice. If you’re that wishywashy about it, then why not just be for equal treatment under the civil law? I promise, you’ll still be able to think gays are icky.

7. Ben in Oakland says

All you need to do is google “pacquiao adultery” to see how much the business of other people needs minding.

8. AERES says

His “clarification” only makes him look even more ridiculous.

On the one hand he acknowleges homosexuality as an inherent personal trait (i.e. “born that way”) – or put another way, is a “God given” trait – and then goes on to say that acting on that inherent trait is against God’s commandment.

So basically you can “be” gay, but you can’t “do” gay?

Amusingly, his acknowledgment that homosexuality is an inherent physical trait bestowed at birth – like for example sex and race – only make his later condemnation of gay marriage look even more bigoted (if thats possible).

The logical contortions these people go through to justify their bigotry is amazing. But what else should we expect from someone whose job involves being hit in the head repeatedly?

9. Terry says

The man is a bible thumping bigot. Of course he and the cronies who live off him are doing damage control right now. Wait till his sponsers drop him and see how big his mouth is!

Manny, you have shamed your country. The Pinoys I know who were so proud of you are now disgusted with you. Go back to PI with your head hung low! And think before you open that big mouth again!

10. vanndean says

Who really cares. This is a man whose job is to attempt to beat someone into submission. His life is built on the premise that it is acceptable to use violence to attain fame and fortune. He is just another Roman gladiator trying to produce a bloodletting and brain damage to another human to entertain the screaming masses. Neither his opinion nor his fame has one iota of relevance to my life or the the lives of billions of others on this planet.

11. says

Am I wrong in thinking that if you say you’re against same sex marriage but you have “nothing against LGBT people” you’re still a bigot?

I mean I just came out of the closet. It’s been a nightmare dealing with my own family even at 28 but now dealing with things like this..geez..

12. Paul R says

I second the sentiment that the opinions of a boxer (much less one who isn’t even a US citizen) couldn’t mean much less to me.

13. Craig says

Manny is entitled to his opinion just as everyone else is, and this story proves the power of how false information can infiltrate the Internet at a rapid pace. The author of the original article, that started this, Granville Ampong is admitting to “twisting” Manny’s words.

So who’s at true fault here? The person expressing his beliefs or the author for creating a false statement?

14. Tom says

Among his many inconsistencies, I have a particular problem with this quote:

“God only expects man and woman to be together and to be legally married.”

I know of nothing in the Bible that even remotely addresses “legal” or “civil” marriage.

Marriage equality should exist in our laws and our society. Religions are free to have their own requirements for the administration of their rites.

15. Brian B. says

Unlike religious beliefs, sexual orientation is usually not a choice. LGBT rights trump religious “beliefs,” or more accurately bigotry, every time.

16. Elsewhere says

No, Mr. Pacquiao. It’s 2012, and you can no longer choose to run with the hares and hunt with the hounds.

You cannot be my friend if you believe I am not married my beloved husband.

You do not respect me if you believe that your God treats me as an aberration.

If you deny me my civil rights, you are against me.

You feel I am less worthy.

You think my behavior abhorrent.

You think you are justified in treating me as a second class citizen.

You are wrong, Mr. Pacquaio. I will not support any corporation for which you are a spokesman or any type of event at which you might appear, and I will be sure to let any corporation that may seek your endorsement know of feelings.

17. jim says

Enough of this “god’s law” nonsense. I’m tired of hearing it.

@Lou: gird your loins, baby, it’s a daily battle, it never ends!

18. Paul B. says

Sorry for this in advance…but if you’re from the pilipines and you like pilipino girls…but don’t like pilipino men…good for you. STAY OUT of my f-in sex life & think about going back to the pillipines!!!

19. JeffNYC says

He’s not a bigot. He’s a stupid and uneducated brainless moron. We really should not be focusing on the words of prizefighters. We should be focusing on the words of RELIGIOUS LEADERS.

20. SFshawn says

Why is it that supposedly ‘religious’ followers/leaders are always the ones breaking their own stupid religious ‘rules’ and then condeming others and pointing fingers? Pathetic. If he is considered a role model all the more disgusting.

21. David Hearn says

I don’t remember asking for the opinion of foreigners about American laws pertaining to American gay people.

22. john says

blown out of proportion my a** you have someone say you should be killed and tell me it’s blown out of proportion; if he had said it about women or blacks he would already have been fired. there is nothing to clarify dead is dead, and so should his career be as a spokes person.

23. zinc alloy says

The Grove just earned more of my business.

Nike is almost certain to drop Pacquiao — hopefully within the next 24 hours — but if not, they will face some fierce boycotting wrath.

24. Talisman says

I have a friend who just came out in support of this vile scumbag.

She is an old friend; we went to college together. When I came out to her, she admitted that she was, at the very least, bi-curious.

She has since “found god”, and now sex is taboo.

I have unfriended her on facebook and made it clear that real Christians shouldn’t support hate in any form.

25. says

i take issue with your comment, Craig.

“this story proves the power of how false information can infiltrate the Internet at a rapid pace.”

Is that what you see? Really? Because I see yet another case of an anti-gay bigot who uses “the bible” as the excuse for his bigotry, yet doesn’t actually have a freakin’ clue about the subject from a scriptural perspective.

The guy’s bigoted opinions are intellectually inaccurate, prejudiced at their core, and not only have no rational defense but don’t even have a BIBLICAL one.

if you want to be upset about “the power of false information” you can start with the world of atrocities and bigotries that people falsely think they can justify by saying “blah blah blah BIBLE blah blah blah.”

26. FirstAmendment says

So obviously he sucks–but I’d push back against calls for him to b fired as Nike’s spokesperson. He has a right to voice his opinion, even if it’s a socially backward and embarrassing one.

27. Scott says

Yeah ok well I don’t have anything against CHRISTIANS, but I just don’t think they should be allowed to marry.. How bout that?? moron

28. DK says

@ May 16, 2012 7:03:26 PM
    While he may have a right to voice his opinion by virtue of being existent on American soil at the time, he has no right to an audience nor a right to have his views accepted.
    As to Nike, part of being a spokesperson is to illustrate the values of the company that you’re advertising for. Even without the explicit death threats by Pacquiao, he has made explicit his “love the sinner, hate the sin” view and by being contracted with Nike as a public face is showing that Nike shares the same view.

29. says

“He has a right to voice his opinion, even if it’s a socially backward and embarrassing one.”

@FIRSTAMENDMENT, you misunderstand the First Amendment. He has the right to say whatever he wants, whether or not he’s a Nike spokesperson. We have an equal right to criticize him and an equal right to use our free speech to encourage Nike to drop him. And Nike, in turn, has an absolute right to stop using a spokesperson who goes against their company values. That is how the First Amendment works.

30. Charlie-o says

He said he hadn’t actually quoted Leviticus because he hadn’t read that far in the Bible. Isn’t Leviticus only Book 3? And aren’t there a whole bunch of other books? (My advice to Pacquiao: Don’t rad the rest. Quit before you get even more behind!)

Regardless, I’m not drinking any more Hennessey (at least for a while). I’d boycott Meg Whitman’s Hewlett-Packard, but to tell the truth, that would require no sacrifice on my part.

31. atomic says

It’s funny how so often, the First Amendment is applied by people who clearly do not understand what the First Amendment actually means.

Foremost, the First Amendment is a part of the United States Constitution. As such, it concerns the rights of US citizens, not foreign nationals. Even if Pacquiao were a US citizen, it STILL does not apply, because the First Amendment concerns the GOVERNMENT’S role in regulating speech, not private enterprise or other individuals. Essentially, the GOVERNMENT does not have a right to censor you. But that does not mean an employer has no power to fire you for saying something that, for instance, reflects poorly on them. Neither does it mean that a bigot is immune from any consequences of spreading his bigotry.

People persistently misunderstand the First Amendment, and are quick to bring it up as if it were some kind of magic talisman protecting all forms of speech. To me, this is indicative of the educational problems in American society–like the Tea Party folks who wave their flags and talk about upholding the Constitution but lack the intelligence to actually understand this document they keep shouting about. Again: the First Amendment’s speech clause has to do with limiting the US government’s ability to tell its citizens what they can and cannot say. It isn’t carte blanche for a citizen to say anything to anyone at any time. That ANY US citizen would fail to know this is astounding and reflects just how ignorant the electorate has become.

32. Greg says

I do not follow the Jewish religion, therefore I eat bacon and pork chops. I do not follow your bible, SO CAN I GET GAY MARRIED NOW???

33. Simon says

1) Many people say ‘God hates gays’ and keep using the word ‘God’. The fact is Jesus Christ (being the foundation of Christianity) NEVER CONDEMNED HOMOSEXUALITY ! So either those people are taking GOP as GOD, which by the way GOP are indeed one of the biggest bigot, or those religious nuts are worshiping a different ‘God’ other than Jesus. Either way homophobes bigots are ANTICHRIST !

2) To Christianity, they are followers of Christ and it’s clearly stated that they should follow his top commandments which are above all other laws. The top commandments are to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. So again, religious nuts are ANTICHRIST when they bring others laws to be above those of Jesus top commandments!

34. Simon says

35. Joe says

he is a congressman, imagine that moron, making/passing bills. He had relationships with multiple women by whom he fathered numerous children. His wife remains a martyr all because of the money and fame hubby brings. She loves the bling, the attention and plastic surgery.

36. Francis says

And even putting aside the homophobia/heterosexism for a minute, Manny Pacquiao is not an American citizen and has gone out his way to criticize our president. That ALONE should result in a drop of sponsors, speaking out the president our country in this way. Hopefully everyone is calling and emailing companies affiliated with Manny and detailing why they should not be associating themselves with Mr. Pacquiao any longer.

37. says

It’s hilarious that he endorses “God’s Law” – I guess he’s not aware that Leviticus 19:28 says “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.” It would be nice if one of these Christers would read the Bible that they are stupidly endorsing before they endorse it.

38. albertam says

what an ignorant man his beliefs system is so screwed up. god is love and it will set you free. Where in the bible does one or many condemn just the gay sinners. show me the gay word in the holy bible. Doesn’t he know that the messages in the bible was written by man. when I went to church I was taught god accepts everybody, I must have missed the ignorance 101 class at Sunday school.

39. The Milkman says

I hear the Bible also says that losers should be put to death. Manny had better look out.