American Idol | Gay Marriage | Gay Marriage Quotes | London | Music | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Carrie Underwood Comes Out For Marriage Equality

In a move doomed to alienate a signiicant hunk of her fanbase, Carrie Underwood has revealed to the Independent that she is a strong believer in marriage equality:

"As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love, and want to marry," she said. "I can't imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love."

UnderwoodMs. Underwood was speaking to the British newspaper in preparation for her first-ever concert in the UK, which shall be held at the Royal Albert Hall later this month. (Incidentally, Underwood isn't the first American country star to visit London and make statements which might annoy her red-state fanbase. It was there that the Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines famously voiced her unhappiness about the United States' rush to war in Iraq.)

From the Independent:

Underwood ... draws much of her fanbase from evangelical Christians, speaks frequently about her faith and has made religion the subject of several of her best-known songs, including the No 1 country hit "Jesus Take the Wheel".

She said, however, that her liberal attitude towards same-sex marriage comes because of her Christian values, rather than in spite of them. Though raised a Baptist, a church that tends to oppose homosexuality, Underwood and her husband Mike Fisher, a professional ice-hockey player, now worship in a non-denominational congregation.

"Our church is gay friendly," she said. "Above all, God wanted us to love others. It's not about setting rules, or [saying] 'everyone has to be like me'. No. We're all different. That's what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It's not up to me to judge anybody."

Underwood, 29, swept to fame in 2005 after winning American Idol and has since drawn much of her estimated $20m (£13m) annual income from touring the US. In the interview, she condemned "people who use the Bible for hate", adding: "That's not how I would want myself as a Christian to be represented."

Underwood's new album, Blown Away, and her single, "Good Girl," currently occupy the top spots on the Billboard country charts.

Comments

1. This is a bold move. I voted for her all the way through her season on Idol. Good on you, Carrie! Can't say this won't have a negative impact, but the positive impact is going to be huge too.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 10, 2012 10:38:27 AM

2. Watch out for radio plays going down and album sales going up.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 10, 2012 10:43:31 AM

3. I believe I need to put Carrie's CDs on my Amazon Wish List. I was (and am) a big Dixie Chicks fan -- I like some country music, but I've never paid much attention to Carrie till now. And a hockey player for a husband? Cool.

Posted by: DougChgo | Jun 10, 2012 10:49:08 AM

4. Younger evangelicals aren't as anti-gay as their parents and grandparents, at least according to the latest polls. I'm not saying they'll be going to Pride anytime soon, but it's still good news.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 10, 2012 10:54:47 AM

5. I think there will be a massive backlash just like when Dixie Chicks spoke out. She will backpedal in a couple days when her sales start to fall.

Posted by: Kenton | Jun 10, 2012 12:43:38 PM

6. I think there will be a massive backlash just like when Dixie Chicks spoke out. She will backpedal in a couple days when her sales start to fall.

Posted by: Kenton | Jun 10, 2012 12:43:39 PM

7. Carrie is a amazing person who loves animals. Little does she know I have been in a 14 year relationship with here 2nd cousin Gary Drake Underwood. We live like any other couple. She hit the nail on the head. I am not Christian but she sounds like a true loving non judgmental Christian live and let live.

Posted by: Greg Thomas | Jun 10, 2012 12:47:40 PM

8. That's a very risky move. I do like some of her songs but her statement probably will make me check out more of her stuff.

Posted by: steve | Jun 10, 2012 12:57:42 PM

9. She is financially secure enough to withstand the backlash. It's about time there's some positive voices coming out of the country music industry. It's been far and few in between her and Garth Brooks.

Posted by: Wyett Earp | Jun 10, 2012 1:27:03 PM

10. I'm proud of her, this is a bold move for her, which makes her statements even more powerful. I don't think she'll receive some sort of backlash, I didn't see one for Toby Keith when he came out in support of both Obama and gay marriage. And Reba, Dolly, and Martina haven't received much of a backlash in the wake of their pro-equality efforts.

The Dixie Chicks was a much different story, their controversial statements were made in a very public way, and at the height of talks of going to war. Timing wasn't on their side.

Posted by: Devonasa | Jun 10, 2012 1:40:39 PM

11. I'm not sure it's as risky as people think. Doing the right thing and acting with personal integrity just tends to work out well even if a few people fuss initially. She will draw respect. While she's not exactly the President, her support will itself change minds in previously anti-marriage equality folks in her fan base, just as Obama's support has done. I think the blowback (a) won't be all that much, and (b) will be over with quickly. (So Fred Phelps, Peter LaBarbera, Maggie Gallagher, Brian Camenker and other diehard homophobes will stop buying her albums -- big deal.)

It's only been, what, about 4 weeks since Obama's statement on marriage equality, and already (to me at least) it feels like a "given."

There is enormous liquidity on the matter of opinions about marriage equality, and Brian Brown's fantasies notwithstanding, it's all in our favor.

One thing I find particularly delicious about all this is that Romney has stated very explicitly that he supports a Federal Marriage Amendment, that is, a Constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage. I'm sure that in the past he thought that would earn him votes. But by now it's already a liability (I mean, if he actually wants to win), and will only become more so between now and November.

***I can't wait for Romney to be forced to acknowledge in a debate that he supports a Constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.*** He's going to look even more like the creep he was in prep school.

Posted by: future ware | Jun 10, 2012 2:17:00 PM

12. I'm not sure it's as risky as people think. Doing the right thing and acting with personal integrity just tends to work out well even if a few people fuss initially. She will draw respect. While she's not exactly the President, her support will itself change minds in previously anti-marriage equality folks in her fan base, just as Obama's support has done. I think the blowback (a) won't be all that much, and (b) will be over with quickly. (So Fred Phelps, Peter LaBarbera, Maggie Gallagher, Brian Camenker and other diehard homophobes will stop buying her albums -- big deal.)

Posted by: future ware | Jun 10, 2012 2:17:00 PM

13. Well, I'm a little shocked but really proud of Carrie for this statement. It's artists like her that will lead a new generation to a better world.

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 10, 2012 2:34:51 PM

14. Cool

& this from her is more important than many other stars due to her fan base

this really has the potential to impact her hard which makes her stand that much more important and pwoerful

Posted by: say what | Jun 10, 2012 2:45:44 PM

15. IT IS NO SHOCK Carrie Underwood SUPPORTS "gay" MARRIAGE. TODAY'S COUNTRY MUSIC SOUNDS LIKE ROCK - TO ADD A "TWANGY" VOICE IS NOT COUNTRY. WHEN COUNTRY MUSIC HIGHLIGHTED FIDDLES, ITS LISTENERS WERE PEOPLE WHO WOULD NEVER SUPPORT "gay" MARRIAGE.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 10, 2012 2:45:56 PM

16. Christopher Allen Horton, go back to playing your banjo and asking guys to "squeal like a pig".

Posted by: Bobby | Jun 10, 2012 2:57:24 PM

17. well met!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 10, 2012 3:15:29 PM

18. I agree with Future Ware. What, people who listen to "country" music don't have gay kids and always reject them when they do? Not hardly. There is progress being made across ALL groups when it comes to acceptance of gays.

Will statements be made condemning her for this from the usual Religious Right cr*p-hounds? Oh course, but when do they NOT complain?! These are the same people who call it a "War on Christmas" when a store clerk wishes them "happy holiday"! I suspect the backlash will be minor.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 10, 2012 3:23:11 PM

19. I never liked her music very much and I always said if white bread could sing it would be Carrie Underwood. However, maybe she's become sourdough or ciabatta at this point. ;-) Just like Miley Cyrus I guess there is one less person to despise on this earth now. Good for her.

Posted by: jonathan | Jun 10, 2012 3:59:43 PM

20. Wow, she definitely moves ahead of Kelly "States' Rights" Clarkson in my book.

Posted by: Paulie | Jun 10, 2012 5:12:06 PM

21. To be fair, I dont think many of her fanbase read the Independent, or any newspaper for that matter. So they probably wont notice, but in London this will go over well, where I think only the gays know who she is anyway.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 10, 2012 5:21:50 PM

22. @Alex the news have broken over to msg boards, twitter, and many US magazine sites.

Posted by: steve | Jun 10, 2012 6:11:13 PM

23. I've been a fan of Carrie since her first audition and now even more so. Thank you Carrie!

Posted by: John | Jun 10, 2012 6:44:26 PM

24. Thank you, Carrie. You just upped your album sales by at least one, today.

Posted by: dattexas | Jun 10, 2012 8:02:19 PM

25. Good on her. She didn't have to risk her income, but she did.

Posted by: Mike B. | Jun 10, 2012 8:30:05 PM