Carrie Underwood Comes Out For Marriage Equality

In a move doomed to alienate a signiicant hunk of her fanbase, Carrie Underwood has revealed to the Independent that she is a strong believer in marriage equality:

"As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love, and want to marry," she said. "I can't imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love."

UnderwoodMs. Underwood was speaking to the British newspaper in preparation for her first-ever concert in the UK, which shall be held at the Royal Albert Hall later this month. (Incidentally, Underwood isn't the first American country star to visit London and make statements which might annoy her red-state fanbase. It was there that the Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines famously voiced her unhappiness about the United States' rush to war in Iraq.)

From the Independent:

Underwood … draws much of her fanbase from evangelical Christians, speaks frequently about her faith and has made religion the subject of several of her best-known songs, including the No 1 country hit "Jesus Take the Wheel".

She said, however, that her liberal attitude towards same-sex marriage comes because of her Christian values, rather than in spite of them. Though raised a Baptist, a church that tends to oppose homosexuality, Underwood and her husband Mike Fisher, a professional ice-hockey player, now worship in a non-denominational congregation.

"Our church is gay friendly," she said. "Above all, God wanted us to love others. It's not about setting rules, or [saying] 'everyone has to be like me'. No. We're all different. That's what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It's not up to me to judge anybody."

Underwood, 29, swept to fame in 2005 after winning American Idol and has since drawn much of her estimated $20m (ÂŁ13m) annual income from touring the US. In the interview, she condemned "people who use the Bible for hate", adding: "That's not how I would want myself as a Christian to be represented."

Underwood's new album, Blown Away, and her single, "Good Girl," currently occupy the top spots on the Billboard country charts.

Comments

1. AJ says

This is a bold move. I voted for her all the way through her season on Idol. Good on you, Carrie! Can’t say this won’t have a negative impact, but the positive impact is going to be huge too.

2. DougChgo says

I believe I need to put Carrie’s CDs on my Amazon Wish List. I was (and am) a big Dixie Chicks fan — I like some country music, but I’ve never paid much attention to Carrie till now. And a hockey player for a husband? Cool.

3. Dan says

Younger evangelicals aren’t as anti-gay as their parents and grandparents, at least according to the latest polls. I’m not saying they’ll be going to Pride anytime soon, but it’s still good news.

4. Kenton says

I think there will be a massive backlash just like when Dixie Chicks spoke out. She will backpedal in a couple days when her sales start to fall.

5. Kenton says

6. Greg Thomas says

Carrie is a amazing person who loves animals. Little does she know I have been in a 14 year relationship with here 2nd cousin Gary Drake Underwood. We live like any other couple. She hit the nail on the head. I am not Christian but she sounds like a true loving non judgmental Christian live and let live.

7. Wyett Earp says

She is financially secure enough to withstand the backlash. It’s about time there’s some positive voices coming out of the country music industry. It’s been far and few in between her and Garth Brooks.

8. Devonasa says

I’m proud of her, this is a bold move for her, which makes her statements even more powerful. I don’t think she’ll receive some sort of backlash, I didn’t see one for Toby Keith when he came out in support of both Obama and gay marriage. And Reba, Dolly, and Martina haven’t received much of a backlash in the wake of their pro-equality efforts.

The Dixie Chicks was a much different story, their controversial statements were made in a very public way, and at the height of talks of going to war. Timing wasn’t on their side.

9. future ware says

I’m not sure it’s as risky as people think. Doing the right thing and acting with personal integrity just tends to work out well even if a few people fuss initially. She will draw respect. While she’s not exactly the President, her support will itself change minds in previously anti-marriage equality folks in her fan base, just as Obama’s support has done. I think the blowback (a) won’t be all that much, and (b) will be over with quickly. (So Fred Phelps, Peter LaBarbera, Maggie Gallagher, Brian Camenker and other diehard homophobes will stop buying her albums — big deal.)

It’s only been, what, about 4 weeks since Obama’s statement on marriage equality, and already (to me at least) it feels like a “given.”

There is enormous liquidity on the matter of opinions about marriage equality, and Brian Brown’s fantasies notwithstanding, it’s all in our favor.

One thing I find particularly delicious about all this is that Romney has stated very explicitly that he supports a Federal Marriage Amendment, that is, a Constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage. I’m sure that in the past he thought that would earn him votes. But by now it’s already a liability (I mean, if he actually wants to win), and will only become more so between now and November.

***I can’t wait for Romney to be forced to acknowledge in a debate that he supports a Constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.*** He’s going to look even more like the creep he was in prep school.

10. future ware says

11. Bobby says

Well, I’m a little shocked but really proud of Carrie for this statement. It’s artists like her that will lead a new generation to a better world.

12. say what says

Cool

& this from her is more important than many other stars due to her fan base

this really has the potential to impact her hard which makes her stand that much more important and pwoerful

13. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

IT IS NO SHOCK Carrie Underwood SUPPORTS “gay” MARRIAGE. TODAY’S COUNTRY MUSIC SOUNDS LIKE ROCK – TO ADD A “TWANGY” VOICE IS NOT COUNTRY. WHEN COUNTRY MUSIC HIGHLIGHTED FIDDLES, ITS LISTENERS WERE PEOPLE WHO WOULD NEVER SUPPORT “gay” MARRIAGE.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

14. Caliban says

I agree with Future Ware. What, people who listen to “country” music don’t have gay kids and always reject them when they do? Not hardly. There is progress being made across ALL groups when it comes to acceptance of gays.

Will statements be made condemning her for this from the usual Religious Right cr*p-hounds? Oh course, but when do they NOT complain?! These are the same people who call it a “War on Christmas” when a store clerk wishes them “happy holiday”! I suspect the backlash will be minor.

15. jonathan says

I never liked her music very much and I always said if white bread could sing it would be Carrie Underwood. However, maybe she’s become sourdough or ciabatta at this point. 😉 Just like Miley Cyrus I guess there is one less person to despise on this earth now. Good for her.

16. Alex says

To be fair, I dont think many of her fanbase read the Independent, or any newspaper for that matter. So they probably wont notice, but in London this will go over well, where I think only the gays know who she is anyway.

17. alex says

You can’t really compare the statements made by the Dixie Chicks with anyone expressing support for gay rights. In a post-9/11 USA, being anti-patriotic is an unpardonable sin. Although I firmly believe that speaking one’s mind is the essence of patriotism, the majority of our nation feels otherwise.

Plenty of other country stars have made public statements supporting gay rights. Toby Keith is the current king of pro-USA patriotic song writers and he supported the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. Being pro-equality does not cause controversy like it did in the past.

18. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

IF Carrie Underwood NOW WORSHIPS IN A NON-DENOMINATIONAL CHURCH, MAYBE, HER ANNUAL SALARY OF TWENTY MILLION HAS CAUSED HER TO FORGET HER Baptist TEACHINGS. Ms. Underwood SHOULD SUFFER A “BACKLASH” IN THE COUNTRY-MUSIC COMMUNITY. TRADITIONAL-COUNTRY MUSIC IS BASED ON WHOLESOME LIVING – NOT, MODERN IDEOLOGIES.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

19. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

IT IS FUNNY HOW IN STORIES LIKE THIS, Towleroad READERS SEEM TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE FACT THAT PEOPLE IN AMERICA’S “HEARTLAND” DO NOT SUPPORT “gay” MARRIAGE. EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE WORRIED ABOUT THE IMPACT ON Carrie Underwood’s CAREER. Ms. Underwood HAS PROBABLY DECIDED TO “VENTURE-OUT” INTO COMMERCIAL-POP MUSIC. IN MEMPHIS, Ms. Underwood’s – AS WELL AS, “Dixie Chicks'” MUSIC – IS HEARD MORE OFTEN ON POP RADIO THAN COUNTRY RADIO.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

20. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“DEEPERSTILL,”

“Moron” IS NOT NECESSARY. THIS IS A GENERATIONAL ISSUE. MORE ESTABLISHED – AND, ADORED – COUNTRY ARTISTS LIKE, George Strait AND Patty Loveless ARE NOT SUPPORTING “gay” MARRIAGE BECAUSE IT OPPOSES THE MESSAGE IN THEIR MUSIC. PERSONALLY, SOME ESTABLISHED-COUNTRY ARTISTS MAY NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HOMOSEXUALITY, BUT ADMISSION WOULD GREATLY TARNISH THEIR IMAGE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

21. ghostwriter says

I believe that GOD said woman and man. Not woman and woman or man and man. I oppose Gay Days @ Disney World. I would not want for my son or Daughter to believe that that is okay. However in saying this, If my Son chose to be gay and maintain a gay appearence with another,I would be ok with that because he is my son. This is a touchy subject, but we as americans should turn back to the Lord and read the GoodBook and Trust and Obey in Jesus the Father,the Son and the Holy Ghost. we all are not perfect, we are Human,we shall stumble and fall,but with my faith I believe that all is possible through Jesus Christ our Savior and Lord.I give Carrie prompts for being Bold and Beautiful at the same time.