Abortion | Michigan | Republican Party | Theatre

Legislators And Eve Ensler To Perform 'The Vagina Monologues' On Michigan Capitol Steps

The absurdity began Wednesday, when Democratic Rep. Lisa Brown assumed the dais to protest Michigan's new anti-abortion law. She said her piece, and concluded her address with:

I have not asked you to adopt and adhere to my religious beliefs. Why are you asking me to adopt yours? And finally, Mr. Speaker, I’m flattered that you’re all so interested in my vagina, but no means no.

Vagina_Dentata_by_Narcisse_ShrapnelRepublicans were scandalized. Rep. Brown had mentioned her naughtybits! Right there in the Capitol, in the citadel of democracy most holy! Vagina! As Republican state rep. Mike Callton put it:

Callton and his fellow legislators promptly and indefinitely banned Rep. Brown from speaking in the Capitol, along with Democratic Rep. Barb Byrum, who is also reputed to possess a vagina.

Now, Brown, Byrum, seven other legislators, assorted Michiganer actresses, and author Eve Ensler have announced their plan to vaginize the Capitol with a performance of Ensler's The Vagina Monologues on the Capitol steps. The performance shall be held Monday, from 6 - 8 p.m. The event has been dubbed "Vaginas Take Back The Capitol," and it has its own Facebook page.

Comments

1. "What she said was offensive. It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company."

No, what HE did and said is offensive to women and right-thinking people everywhere.

Posted by: Mike B. | Jun 17, 2012 12:42:34 PM

2. However did Republicans get the majority in Michigan's statehouse to do such a thing in the first place. How, How, How!?!

This can only help.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 17, 2012 1:06:27 PM

3. I thought only gay men were offended by vaginas. Maybe I'm right.

Posted by: Craig | Jun 17, 2012 1:17:08 PM

4. VAGINA! Vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina.

A little tip for the morons: Say vagina enough times and it no longer sounds like a word.

I'd like to see the medical professionals responding to this. What word are they supposed to use with their patients?

How can you legislate something when you can't even use the proper word for it?

Posted by: Tanoka | Jun 17, 2012 1:20:07 PM

5. Banning these two women from speaking will blow up in their faces: I have it on good authority that many, many vaginas reside in Michigan; and that they are not more particularly inclined to have themselves governed by men than vaginas elsewhere.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jun 17, 2012 1:20:18 PM

6. What a bunch of dicks!

Posted by: Joel | Jun 17, 2012 1:21:54 PM

7. What's a vagina?

Posted by: NullNaught | Jun 17, 2012 1:28:31 PM

8. It defies belief! Even coming from a republican. I guess this is why they are all so opposed to sex education. Their children might be scandalized by the fact the a boy has a ...giggles... penis and a girl has a ...faints... vagina! NO, NO, NO! Girls have buttons, boys have poles, anything else will doom their souls. Oh the horrors!!!

Posted by: Kenneth | Jun 17, 2012 1:36:27 PM

9. How sad. This idiot couldn't mention the word vagina in front of women? In front of women?!
    Who does he think own the vaginas of the world?

Is he allowed to refer to his penis, or must it be referred to as a pee pee? He should be forced to watch "Boys on the Side", and its wonderful, hilarious "down there" scene.

Posted by: John Freeman | Jun 17, 2012 1:47:02 PM

10. THE SOCIALISTS HAVE WON AN ABSOLUTE MAJORITY IN FRANCE. Elections were held today for France's legislative body. France will legalize equal marriage within a year.

Posted by: Bill S.l S. | Jun 17, 2012 2:12:57 PM

11. I bet Eve could do this play in her sleep. I used to watch her doing warm ups in west LA when she performed it here. I've never seen a vagina, but I have seen the play.

Posted by: Josh | Jun 17, 2012 3:27:48 PM

12. Ah, good old male Republicans--they don't want to name that thing down there, cause that would be nasty, they just want to invade it and control it.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 17, 2012 4:28:57 PM

13. @Marcus: All gay men are not offended by a vagina. If you are you evidently haven't graduated from elementary school yet.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Jun 17, 2012 4:31:57 PM

14. VAGINA

we all cam from 1

no human has ever been born from anything else but a VAGINA

without VAGINAS there would be no humanity

Posted by: say what | Jun 17, 2012 4:53:08 PM

15. PS

VAGINA
    VAGINA
    VAGINA

Posted by: say what | Jun 17, 2012 4:54:12 PM

16. I imagine "ladything" is a possible alternative.

Posted by: gregory brown | Jun 17, 2012 6:25:54 PM

17. OK now just get ahold of yourselves!

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 17, 2012 11:31:52 PM

18. While I think these women are entitled to have their say, I find it tacky that they're supporting abortion rights. Their policies would lead to the abortion of gay people.

Posted by: jason | Jun 18, 2012 12:39:02 AM

19. JASON - the things you say sound as if you've got about a quarter of your brain missing: "Their policies would lead to the abortion of gay people"? Of course they would. And this the reason you're what...not in favor of abortion?

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 18, 2012 7:10:51 AM

20. You can read my exclusive interview with Eve Ensler about the Michigan event here: http://eclectablog.com/2012/06/exclusive-interview-with-eve-ensler-creator-of-the-vagina-monologues.html

Posted by: Eclectablog | Jun 18, 2012 9:47:48 AM

21. Things like these (what the republicans are doing, not the V-Day) are the reason why americans are largely considered to be nuts in the rest of world.
    Such a sick sad world.