Legislators And Eve Ensler To Perform ‘The Vagina Monologues’ On Michigan Capitol Steps

The absurdity began Wednesday, when Democratic Rep. Lisa Brown assumed the dais to protest Michigan's new anti-abortion law. She said her piece, and concluded her address with:

I have not asked you to adopt and adhere to my religious beliefs. Why are you asking me to adopt yours? And finally, Mr. Speaker, I’m flattered that you’re all so interested in my vagina, but no means no.

Vagina_Dentata_by_Narcisse_ShrapnelRepublicans were scandalized. Rep. Brown had mentioned her naughtybits! Right there in the Capitol, in the citadel of democracy most holy! Vagina! As Republican state rep. Mike Callton put it:

What she said was offensive. It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company.

Callton and his fellow legislators promptly and indefinitely banned Rep. Brown from speaking in the Capitol, along with Democratic Rep. Barb Byrum, who is also reputed to possess a vagina.

Now, Brown, Byrum, seven other legislators, assorted Michiganer actresses, and author Eve Ensler have announced their plan to vaginize the Capitol with a performance of Ensler's The Vagina Monologues on the Capitol steps. The performance shall be held Monday, from 6 – 8 p.m. The event has been dubbed "Vaginas Take Back The Capitol," and it has its own Facebook page.

Comments

1. Mike B. says

“What she said was offensive. It was so offensive, I don’t even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company.”

No, what HE did and said is offensive to women and right-thinking people everywhere.

2. MarkUs says

However did Republicans get the majority in Michigan’s statehouse to do such a thing in the first place. How, How, How!?!

This can only help.

3. Tanoka says

VAGINA! Vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina, vagina.

A little tip for the morons: Say vagina enough times and it no longer sounds like a word.

I’d like to see the medical professionals responding to this. What word are they supposed to use with their patients?

How can you legislate something when you can’t even use the proper word for it?

4. DannyEastVillage says

Banning these two women from speaking will blow up in their faces: I have it on good authority that many, many vaginas reside in Michigan; and that they are not more particularly inclined to have themselves governed by men than vaginas elsewhere.

5. Kenneth says

It defies belief! Even coming from a republican. I guess this is why they are all so opposed to sex education. Their children might be scandalized by the fact the a boy has a …giggles… penis and a girl has a …faints… vagina! NO, NO, NO! Girls have buttons, boys have poles, anything else will doom their souls. Oh the horrors!!!

6. John Freeman says

How sad. This idiot couldn’t mention the word vagina in front of women? In front of women?!
    Who does he think own the vaginas of the world?

Is he allowed to refer to his penis, or must it be referred to as a pee pee? He should be forced to watch “Boys on the Side”, and its wonderful, hilarious “down there” scene.

7. Bill S.l S. says

THE SOCIALISTS HAVE WON AN ABSOLUTE MAJORITY IN FRANCE. Elections were held today for France’s legislative body. France will legalize equal marriage within a year.

8. Josh says

I bet Eve could do this play in her sleep. I used to watch her doing warm ups in west LA when she performed it here. I’ve never seen a vagina, but I have seen the play.

9. jason says

While I think these women are entitled to have their say, I find it tacky that they’re supporting abortion rights. Their policies would lead to the abortion of gay people.

10. UFFDA says

JASON – the things you say sound as if you’ve got about a quarter of your brain missing: “Their policies would lead to the abortion of gay people”? Of course they would. And this the reason you’re what…not in favor of abortion?

11. Boundary says

Things like these (what the republicans are doing, not the V-Day) are the reason why americans are largely considered to be nuts in the rest of world.
    Such a sick sad world.