Discrimination | Gay Marriage | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Manny Pacquiao: 'I Oppose Gay Sin'

MannypManny Pacquiao, the boxer who last month caused a stir by coming out against gay marriage, sat down with USA Today to chat about his upcoming bout with Floyd Mayweather and, yes, same-sex nuptials. The boxer again said that he doesn't back marriage equality and that he thinks gay people are committing a sin.

“No, I don’t support gay marriage. I do not agree with that, but I am not condemning gay people," he said. "But what I oppose is the sin they commit.”

You can watch Pacquiao's interview
AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. That's one illogical statement.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 7, 2012 10:42:50 AM

2. he's upset because he's so small that he feels nothing when "topping" and is too terrified of "sin" to bottom.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 7, 2012 10:45:50 AM

3. I have no use for anything this man says.

Posted by: truthiness | Jun 7, 2012 10:46:40 AM

4. "Let me just remind you that this judgement comes from a man who has made a living beating up other men. Just saying."

Sterling commentary, Belonsky. As always.

Posted by: Wow | Jun 7, 2012 10:47:10 AM

5. Typical brainwashed religious fool

Posted by: Steve | Jun 7, 2012 10:52:24 AM

6. who cares what this a*hole says. Catholicism is quite ingrained in the filipino culture. Luckily my boyfriend - a filipino - has a great and understanding family who are strong catholics but still very supportive of our relationship. The most important thing to them is that we love each other and they treat me like family.

Posted by: meowen | Jun 7, 2012 10:53:32 AM

7. "Let me just remind you that this judgement comes from a man who has made a living beating up other men. Just saying"

Er, no, it comes from a man who has made a living fighting other men who are evenly matched with him in a sport that requires great skill.

Just like the hockey players and pro football players who have endorsed gay rights recently are involved in sports that involve violent contact with other evenly-matched men.

And just like the gay men who participate in the same violent sports, like Wade Davis, who just came out in recent days.

It is part of being a man, Andrew, which, admittedly--and sadly--is beyond the comprehension of a substantial number of gay men, namely those who model their behavior on women rather than men.

Homophobia is the demon we need to dispense with, not masculinity.

Fortunately some of us understand that, even if others don't.

Pacquio's comments are reprehensible, but they are not due to the fact that he is a boxer any more than Michelle Bachman's homophobic attitudes and comments are due to her wearing panties and high heels.

Thank you.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 7, 2012 10:59:33 AM

8. OK. Whatever.

Posted by: Dr. Verdon Coleman | Jun 7, 2012 10:59:44 AM

9. I oppose *straight* sin.

So we're even. And who cares?

Posted by: Alan | Jun 7, 2012 11:03:03 AM

10. has anyone ever noticed that the gay men who come on to insult "effeminacy" never have the balls to show themselves?

very telling.

"i hate femmes" gay men are like "i hate gays" male christian republicans. sooner or later you're gonna get busted with your ankles in the air while you coo "I'm a SIZE QUEEN!"

:D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 7, 2012 11:03:07 AM

11. And by "living" that's 67 million dollars last year according to the Forbes celeb 100 list. So let's hope he's not holding a grudge against anyone, but I really don't want to hear him "almost" sing in anymore phone commercials.

Posted by: MKisNE | Jun 7, 2012 11:14:16 AM

12. Rick, I don't get hung up on trying to be "like a man" or a "like a woman" I just simply am me. And no, I wouldn't be what you would call "effeminate" Why do you care so much about other peoples' mannerisms?

Posted by: meowen | Jun 7, 2012 11:14:57 AM

13. F him and his cutesy HP touchpad commercial

Posted by: Alex | Jun 7, 2012 11:18:00 AM

14. I won't waste my time listening to babbaling idiot open their mouth...man religion "F" bombs people mind..crazy crazy

Posted by: wyocowboy | Jun 7, 2012 11:20:12 AM

15. This from someone allegedly prone to marital infidelity...and that one--UNlike homosexuality--is specifically mentioned in the ten commandments. Manny Pacquiao, you are such a hypocrite. I am ashamed that you are a Filipino.

Posted by: pixelasian | Jun 7, 2012 11:22:18 AM

16. *Yawn* - oh sorry, what did that little guy say again?

Wonder if he stands outside Red Lobster restaurants and yells at the people going inside to eat shellfish. What? That's not a sin anymore?! Well go figure that...

Posted by: Bart | Jun 7, 2012 11:24:06 AM

17. He can speak his mind, and I can boycott any product he is paid to promote...

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Jun 7, 2012 11:29:26 AM

18. @Meowen Don't try to make me the issue. The author of the piece clearly tried to posit a cause-and-effect relationship between being a boxer and being a homophobe.....and I simply pointed out that there is no such relationship and that the motive of gay men who try to posit such relationships is that they see masculinity as a "problem" rather than homophobia....and see the solution as being to undermine masculine values, when the real solution is for gay men to develop a male identity that so many honestly lack--which will cause homophobia to melt away.

And the melting away of homophobia is what we all seek, right?....which is why I care so much about "mannerisms"--although it is about a whole lot more than just mannerisms; it is about the alienation that effeminate gay men cause by identifying with women rather than with men, which has lots of manifestations, of which "mannerisms" are only the most salient and easily observed characteristic.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 7, 2012 11:33:47 AM

19. Boxers aren't really the brightest bulbs in the bunch, so anything he says I interpret as incoherent babble from a battered brain.

Posted by: John | Jun 7, 2012 11:42:37 AM

20. Rick, maybe you should stop being homophobic before you ask others not to be..

Posted by: meowen | Jun 7, 2012 11:44:41 AM

21. There are 176 abominations. No one and I say no one keeps any. Dont they see that. Oh, I forgot. They get to pick and choose what they want to yell about.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 7, 2012 11:49:22 AM

22. Ignoring the attention whore, nothing Manny says regarding morality is relevant, and based on the reaction he received after he made the homophobic statements he did, not many people take what he has to say seriously regarding human behavior of others. Personally, I just want to see what happens, presumably after his fight with Bradley, regarding sponsors, because if making anti-gay comments don't result in some sort of responsibility or penalty here, then that's not a good sign. He being Catholic isn't an excuse for his utter stupidity.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 7, 2012 11:50:01 AM

23. no doubt he doesn't mention his SIN of CHEATING on his wife!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 7, 2012 12:01:43 PM

24. Rick, I could be wrong but I think you've kinda missed the point of the last sentence. Completely. My take on it is that this man is being judgmental of lesbians and gays because of scripture, which also proscribes (in certain spots, not so much in others but who ever said the Bible was consistent, well, who in their right mind would say that) intentionally inflicting harm on others apart from self-defense. That, I believe, is the point. Not that engaging in violent sports would, ipso facto, make one homophobic.

Posted by: BobC562 | Jun 7, 2012 12:03:29 PM

25. You're all just a bunch of weak-minded effeminate queens who are jealous that I'm masculine and don't worship divas. Because so many gay men have co-opted the effeminate mannerisms of the divas they worship, manly men like me who are normal find it difficult to find anonymous sex partners.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 7, 2012 12:08:56 PM