Alan Ball | Chris Meloni | Republican Party | Rick Santorum | True Blood | Vampires

BigGayDeal.com

Rick Santorum Inspired Chris Meloni's Blood-Sucking Theocrat Vampire in 'True Blood'

Meloni

True Blood creator Alan Ball discusses how Rick Santorum inspired the current season, in an interview with The Wrap.

Tacoma_santorumHow did you map out this season?

For me the jumping off point was watching the Republican primaries, watching Michelle Bachman, Rick Santorum, and asking what would it be like  to have a theocracy in America – which is way more terrifying than any fictional monster could ever be.

Our jumping off point was "OK, what is a vampire theocracy?" You don’t really see vampires being religious creatures. They are excluded from God. But what if there was  a vampire bible? A religion? Theocracy? How would that impact our human  characters, or vampire characters?  I haven’t really seen that before.

Why Rick Santorum?

What’s terrifying is how many people agree with him.

Chris Meloni comes in, he is the guardian of the blood. Supposedly they have a vial of blood of the first vampire – like a Catholic icon. The governing body of vampires is like the Catholic church plus the Supreme Court for vampires. But it’s a very secret organization.

Comments

1. "The governing body of vampires is like the Catholic church plus the Supreme Court for vampires. But it’s a very secret organization"

So I see that Alan Ball watched season two of the (excellent) US version of "Being Human".

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jun 18, 2012 10:12:25 AM

2. I wish Chris Meloni would drive his stake into me.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 18, 2012 10:26:27 AM

3. LOL Jack...

This show is beyond insane now, I think there are 4,000 characters, all werevampire zombie fairies. I get PTSD every episode.

Posted by: Terry | Jun 18, 2012 10:28:18 AM

4. A vampire Opus Dei!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 18, 2012 10:34:01 AM

5. Inspired by Rick Santorum and Michelle Bachmann, none the less! How appropriate!

Posted by: 99% | Jun 18, 2012 10:53:55 AM

6. Meloni looks so ridiculous in these still shots of him with fangs that I'll never watch the show and see if he does better in action.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 18, 2012 11:03:38 AM

7. Meh, White Wolf has covered that theme many times in their Masquerade and Requiem series, so not all that unique of a concept. They even published a few biblical style books as prop pieces

Posted by: LiamB | Jun 18, 2012 11:23:08 AM

8. Meloni looks so ridiculous in these still shots of him with fangs that I'll never watch the show and see if he does better in action.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 18, 2012 11:03:38 AM

Then its your loss - cause' he did a GREAT JOB in last nights episode...look forward to see'n more of him, undressed of course too

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 18, 2012 11:55:18 AM

9. Yep, he was great. Stills almost never capture people properly, even when they look great in them. People are always in motion, never still.

I'm very surprised to learn this plot point was based on anything. I'd just assumed most things were based on the book series. I read only the first book and didn't much like it. It's all from Sookie's point of view, so everything else has always been invented by the show writers/producers. But the first season followed her story precisely, so I'd always just assumed the main points were from the books in subsequent seasons of the show. Hmmm.

Well, I'm very intrigued by the season so far, albeit with only two shows down. Chris Meloni as the head vampire is just wonderful!

Posted by: Zlick | Jun 18, 2012 12:46:56 PM

10. Sanctomoron and Bitchman are more succubi than vampires. Those two will suck the soul right out of you.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 18, 2012 1:16:50 PM

11. Rick and Michelle both lost, so no political power for them.

Posted by: anon | Jun 18, 2012 4:16:47 PM

12. Hi dearest friend how r u? Hope fine by the grace of Almighty God. I m Swapon ur sexslave 47yrs old single bottom guy live Dhaka Bangladesh doing job in a private Org. My hgt 5'5" & whgt 60kg not so white but not black. I m average & hairy. I like gaysex & playing submissive role.

Posted by: Swapon | Nov 28, 2013 7:32:14 AM

13. I like gaysex & playing submissive role. Like Anal play BDSM(receive) Deep throat Double penetration Fetish Domination(receive) Exhibitionism Facial FEM 3some Strapon Fisting(receive) Face sitting Gangbang Humilation(receive) Massage Oral toys MMF 3some licking Stripetease Swallow Rimming(give) Tie & tease Voyeurism Spanking(receive) & also dominator's other special choice with Men & couples must MM.

Posted by: Swapon | Nov 28, 2013 7:40:00 AM