The OXD Mirror: New Music for 6.22.12

4. Lovelock – ‘Maybe Tonight’

Lovelock is the codename for NYC based producer Steve Moore, who has a very wide range of signatures for various projects, from commercial to personal work. His track, ‘Maybe Tonight,’ made its first appearance on Chromeo’s DJ-Kicks compilation in 2009, and now in 2012 has finally gotten a proper release on Lovelock’s debut album Burning Feeling. The italo-disco ballad was also tweaked by house music legend Morgan Geist (of Metro Area) who managed to enhance every great aspect of the song and turn it into a masterpiece.

5. Bottin feat. Jupiter – ‘Sage Comme Une Image (Spiller Remix)’

Italian producer and designer Bottin teamed with the Parisian duo Jupiter to create this great disco song with a French touch. To make things even better, fellow Italian DJ Spiller brought the tempo up to a perfect late night beat, making this a track that will bring any dancefloor down. On another note, Jupiter has just released their debut album, Juicy Lucy, filled with disco and electro-pop tunes. Needless to say we highly recommend it.

OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD) curates and recommends music events to the gay community in NYC—in an effort to move the focus of the nightlife scene beyond the promoter and venue and to the music itself. OXD’s goal is to educate, entertain, engage and empower the gay audience to reclaim their ability to question and experience the unknown. The OXD Mirror will serve to showcase tunes that are definitely off-the-beaten-path but rightfully deserve the attention of the gay ear. It’s music that will make you dance, dream, and most importantly, love.

This week’s post was written and curated by Tadeu Magalhães.

For more information on OXD, check out our website and accompanying blog at www.occupythedisco.com, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter: @OccupyTheDisco.

Comments

1. says

AWFUL. What is this crap you are posting? I want some beat-bumping, rump-humping, hard-thrusting remixed kind of a boner-licking tracks. This just sucks. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2. Ken says

These songs go on too long and are too repetitous, go on too long and are too repetitious, go on too long and are too repetitious.

3. david says

thanks for exposing me to new artists and new sounds. not all are to my liking but i always find a track or two to add to my library. keep up the good work.

4. TyN says

I enjoy these posts and it always makes me want to leave work and go drinking on a rooftop.

We all have our own music tastes but they specifically state “… who want to share their love for disco, house and dance music… ”

So if you’re like Alan and looking for tweaker circuit music, perhaps you should just stick to the WORK! party.

5. alguien says

i think several of the tracks are great (particularly the lovelock one) however, it would be nice too, to move the recommendations beyond just dance tracks. the previous music critics on this site gave us a really diverse array of music styles to check out (everything from grace jones to james yuill and more)and it continually fed my quest for new, adventurous music to add to my collection.

thanks for contributing, however. i always like to hear new stuff.

6. says

Gee Up is a fantastic track, but gotta say I prefer the Cosmic Kids remix. Alkan’s been on my radar, however, since I came across his fantastic remix of Metronomy’s The Bay.

I’m loving that Lovelock track also. I’m kind of on the fence on the guitar outro, but I’ll admit it fits with with the tone of the track. I’m thinking that if this was more recent, he would’ve gone with a sax solo for better or worse.

Finally, thanks for the Bottin reminder. It’s a great track that got buried in my favorites and I’d forgotten about it.

7. AladinSane says

I’m with Alguien. There have been a few tracks that I’ve liked but its all starting to sound rather generic. Not one song has made me sit up and listen with a “wow, never heard this before”.

8. says

@Kirkyo The Erol Alkan remix for Metronomy is really something, as well as his remix for Hot Chip (linked in the text). I actually love the 80s rock feeling of the guitar outro on the Lovelock track, it’s almost cheesy (in a good way) but who knows, a sax solo could probably work well too! I just think the italo-disco vibe of this song is so inspiring. You should check out the entire Lovelock album, it’s really nice.

@Alguien That’s great feedback, we’ll keep that in mind!

9. says

I’ve been baffled by the strong negative comments seen here each week. I’m always finding a handful of tracks from the OXD mirror that I never would have found anywhere else. The header at the top of each week’s post is clear that this isn’t going to be the space where you’re going to be linked to the latest David Guetta remix of a Pop Top 40 artist.* This is about finding something new, different, and unusual.

Please keep up the awesome work, OXD! I’m really enjoying the Lovelock track this week and in the process of hunting down other stuff by Steve Moore.

*If you’re looking for Jersey Shore dance music, by all means please visit the front page of iTunes’ Dance section. Knock yourself out.

10. AladinSane says

@Reader And some of us are saying that this isn’t particularly new or different. We are exposed to disco/house/dance music in our culture on a continual basis. OXD has posted a few tracks that I haven’t heard before and enjoyed but I haven’t heard anything yet outside the “gay box”. These tracks may be new and edgy to you, but they are quickly sounding “Guetta-ish” to me…

11. Terry says

The feature track from Kindness is a solid and sick piece of creative work IMO. Thanks for introducing us to new stuff, whether we like it or not. UK only?