Brad Pitt | Gay Marriage | News

Brad Pitt's Mother Pens Anti-Gay Letter (Updated Again)

JanePittUPDATE III: The News-Leader is now saying that the letter was in fact written by Mrs. Pitt.

To clear up earlier confusion, the News-Leader has verified the letter writer is the mother of actor Brad Pitt and local businessman Doug Pitt.

UPDATE II: Despite the paper's claim that this letter was indeed written by Jane Pitt, ThinkProgress now reports that it was not Jane Pitt.

Last month, the News-Leader in Springfield, Missouri, published a reader's letter asking voters to reject Mitt Romney because of his Mormon faith.

"Mormonism teaches, by the statements of their leaders and sacred writings, what some Christians would consider to be the inherent inferiority of women in the sense that they believe only Mormon men can hold the 'priesthood' or rise to leadership positions in the church," wrote reader Richard Stoeker. "Traditional Christians believe in gender equality. They believe Mormon theology denigrates women."

In response, a woman named Jane Pitt, which is the same name as Springfield-born actor and gay marriage activist Brad Pitt's mother, wrote a response lambasting the letter, "Barack Hussein Obama" and marriage equality.

Here's the letter:

I have given much thought to Richard Stoecker’s letter (“Vote for Mormon against beliefs,” June 15). I am also a Christian and differ with the Mormon religion.

But I think any Christian should spend much time in prayer before refusing to vote for a family man with high morals, business experience, who is against abortion, and shares Christian conviction concerning homosexuality just because he is a Mormon.

Any Christian who does not vote or writes in a name is casting a vote for Romney’s opponent, Barack Hussein Obama — a man who sat in Jeremiah Wright’s church for years, did not hold a public ceremony to mark the National Day of Prayer, and is a liberal who supports the killing of unborn babies and same-sex marriage.

I hope all Christians give their vote prayerful consideration because voting is a sacred privilege and a serious responsibility.

There's no confirmation that this Jane Pitt is indeed Brad Pitt's mother, but if it is, this could prove embarrassing for the actor.

UPDATE from Missouri gay group PROMO, via comments: "I'm with the state advocacy group PROMO. The News-Leader did confirm that it is in fact Brad's Mother."

Comments

1. He's not his Mother's keeper.

Posted by: Perry | Jul 5, 2012 11:12:50 AM

2. Even if it is Pitt's mother, is it really news? I avoid discussing politics with most of my family due to the disparity in views, but I'm sure I'm not alone in the predicament.

Posted by: KJ | Jul 5, 2012 11:13:49 AM

3. This is absolutely the worst type of reporting and really should have no place on Towleroad. Was it so important to get the hits that it was necessary to post an unconfirmed story that is barely newsworthy even if true? If she is Brad Pitt's mother - so what. She and her son share different points of view. Happens all the time. Why would it be embarrassing for Brad Pitt. "My mother and I don't share the same point of view and, like all Americans, she is entitled to express her point of view as she sees fit." Big whoop -- end of story. And, if it is not even his mother, no one is going to care at all and it will just lead to a posting a correction/update.

Posted by: MiloTock | Jul 5, 2012 11:17:01 AM

4. I'm with the state advocacy group PROMO. The News-Leader did confirm that it is in fact Brad's Mother.

Posted by: AJ | Jul 5, 2012 11:17:37 AM

5. So what? Brad Pitt has been an outspoken supporter of marriage equality and civil rights throughout his career. Children are not responsible for the parents political views and vice-versa. There really is no story here.

Posted by: Smartypants | Jul 5, 2012 11:18:45 AM

6. It must be a very slow news day if we are reporting what might have been but not sure if it was written by.

If and when one has the facts then post but this is just ridiculous.

Posted by: Kevin | Jul 5, 2012 11:26:46 AM

7. MILOTOCK is utterly right.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 5, 2012 11:29:54 AM

8. Agree with Kevin - if it is Brad's mom than it's a fair story - but until this is confirmed you guys shouldn't be posting this story.

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Jul 5, 2012 11:33:41 AM

9. Not surprising. Brad Pitt was raised as a Baptist but later left the church.

When asked if he'd consider running for office, he stated that he's probably too liberal to be elected. He supports marriage equality, legalizing pot, and is against organized religion.

Posted by: dh | Jul 5, 2012 11:34:12 AM

10. my mother is a repub who atends weekend mass

my grandmother is a repub who atends daily rosary and mass

Im a gay socialist atheist who suports Obama

&????? We are not our ancestor's keeper

Posted by: say what | Jul 5, 2012 11:38:03 AM

11. Why should this embarrass Brad Pitt? Whether its his own mother or not.

My own family and I disagree, argue on most every political view.

Wait a second, maybe he would be embarrassed. I'm embarrassed at the outright ignorance, bigotry, and lack of facts demonstrated by my brother-in-law.

Posted by: Continuum | Jul 5, 2012 11:38:35 AM

12. Checking Wikipedia, his mother is indeed named Jane. But still, who publishes such a story without fact-checking and determining that she is Jane Pitt, mother of Brad. Bad, bad reporting. If it's true, it is newsworthy. But please, fact check!

Posted by: Dennis Daniel | Jul 5, 2012 11:39:38 AM

13. Brad Pitt donated $100,000 to fight California's Proposition 8.

We're not responsible for our relatives' behavior or beliefs.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Jul 5, 2012 11:43:40 AM

14. Actually, I kind of see this as good news -- it is just more confirmation that as the older generation passes on into oblivion, the newer generations increasingly pick up the torch of equality. I am glad and relieved to know that the children of wingnuts do not necessarily grow up to be wingnuts themselves.

Posted by: kit | Jul 5, 2012 11:45:35 AM

15. I'd say that this story has proven more embarassing for Towleroad. What's going on with this site lately?

Posted by: Steve | Jul 5, 2012 11:48:50 AM

16. Do you know how easy it is to write a letter to the editor using someone else's name?

Posted by: Andy Towle | Jul 5, 2012 11:50:10 AM

17. I just had an argument with my born again sister last week about whether or not homosexuality is a sin. I think this just shows how polarized America is right now. You know what would be great? An hour-long recorded sit-down between the two of them where he talks about why he left the church and she talks about why she stays. I would pay to see that.

I just read a statistic that said 59% of American youth that grew up in the church are abandoning it. One of the main reasons for leaving was the church's stance on marriage equality. That's interesting.

Posted by: screech | Jul 5, 2012 11:51:52 AM

18. @Steve: "What's going on with this site lately?"

Towleroad recently did a panty raid at Queerty, and brought back some of the cuter-but-less-competent reporters.

Posted by: R. Murdoch | Jul 5, 2012 11:54:19 AM

19. If she wrote the letter to the paper, then she has no problem with folks knowing her beliefs.

And we're at a turning point in society when such an act should, yes, open her up to great criticism. And shame.

For too long people have been made into pariahs for being LGBT. Now it's time for people to become embarrassing pariahs for being ANTI-lgbt.

Never underestimate how badly people want to be accepted - give a bigot reason to think their bigotry will lead them to loneliness and they'll rethink their point of view.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 5, 2012 11:55:28 AM

20. Is this Towleroad or CNN? Get your facts straight before running a story. And leave the sensational/misleading headlines to Huffington Post. Disappointed in this blog this morning.

Posted by: 13lain | Jul 5, 2012 11:55:59 AM

21. To me Obama is the real Christian, trying to live by the golden rule of treating others fairly. Jesus said nothing about abortion or same sex marriage, but did say a lot about treating others, even those outside of the the mainstream of his time fairly... That is the true Christian..

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Jul 5, 2012 11:57:09 AM

22. What an outrage to publish unconfirmed opinions of possible Brad Pitt's relatives! This site is going downhill. Can't we discuss real news? For example, hasn't any of Sarah Palin's family members said anything controversial lately?

Posted by: AG | Jul 5, 2012 12:02:00 PM

23. All this did was tell me that I might not have Brad Pitt's looks, his wife, his money, his fame...but I sure as hell have a better mother.

We don't get to pick our mothers. Though I'd advise Mrs. Pitt to save her prayers for her son and his illegitimate children born out of wedlock and not be concerned about my business.

Posted by: DCer | Jul 5, 2012 12:03:53 PM

24. Unconfirmed, unimportant and certainly not journalism.

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 5, 2012 12:06:05 PM

25. Unconfirmed, unimportant and certainly not journalism.

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 5, 2012 12:06:08 PM