Bullied Teens Seek Kirk Cameron’s Ear

KirkCameronTeenNJFormer Growing Pains heartthrob Kirk Cameron owes his fame and fortune to teenagers. Now that he's working for the hateful National Organization for Marriage, will the 41-year old stay true to the demographic by meeting with teenaged victims of anti-LGBT victims?

The conservative Christian Post passes on word that members from the Youth Caucus at Garden State Equality are asking for Cameron to sit down with them after his visit to Ocean Grove, NJ to praise the bible's alleged prohibition on same-sex marriage.

"In a kind, respectful and constructive way, we'd like to talk to you about the pain your words about being LGBT have personally caused me and other LGBT youth," wrote Corey Bernstein, 17, in a letter to Cameron. "Words casting negative judgments about LGBT people not only perpetuate prejudice in our wider society, but also hurt LGBT youth in particular. Some of your public comments about being LGBT have devastated us LGBT youth. We yearn to grow up in a world that provides us dignity and safety. That is our simple, most heartfelt dream."

Cameron's team won't say whether or not he'll meet with the teens, but it's sounding like a no. Meanwhile, the Youth Caucus will join their allies from Ocean Grove United in a silent protest outside Cameron's speech tomorrow.

(Via Joe.My.God)

Comments

1. Stefan says

It’s nice to see people put energy into LGBT rights efforts, but over the past couple years I’ve become frustrated with how much effort seems to be targeted at specific individuals. Personally, I could care less what Kirk Cameron thinks. Yes, he has a little more of a soapbox to stand on due to being a somewhat known actor, but really he doesn’t matter to people. He isn’t why they think or vote as they do. The same is true for Dan Cathy. These are small, pointless battles for the hearts and minds of people who will never be swayed. There are so many millions of Americans who are still trying to decide how they think about all this, and who are genuinely open to becoming allies. There are some great efforts out there meant to bridge the cultural divide, and the rest is just a distraction.

2. says

Standing up to the Kirk Camerons and Dan Cathys of this world is an ideal way to put one’s energy into the fight for LGBT rights. It’s not a question of “swaying” them. People who are “geuinely open to becomign allies” are already allies.

We do not go around begging for our rights hat in hand. WE STAND UP AND DEMAND THEM!

3. Alex says

As much as bullying and NOM frustrate me, I sometimes think the LGBT community needs to look at the bulling inside the community. I sometimes notice how members of the community treat other members for not being in shape, not being good looking enough, being old, being hairy etc etc etc. Instead of saying “you’re not my type,” i have noticed an increasing amount of back handed insults. We need to learn to love and respect each other instead treating those we think beneath us like crap.

4. says

@ STEFAN :

I can’t agree. it’s the little battles where the war is won or lost. It’s the brothers and sisters coming out to classmates, parents, grandparents,friends that has changed society’s perception of us.

When the Aids crisis first broke on the scene we were perceived as criminals; now every straight guy has a gay brother, sister or friend, and more and more they stand up for us. I am grateful for their support.
    All these people need to be on-side before we win absolute equality.

5. Nick says

Mike Seaver will have to check with the AFA and NOM and ask the to fax over a script he could follow when interacting with “those kind of people.” He needs to stay on message…..

6. Francis says

Kirk Cameron is a public figure who is going out of his way to attack our community, largely because he’s closeted and self-hating. So yes, we do need to highlight this man’s hate-based agenda, because he’s the one who is trying to cause damage to our community, and we have to stand up against him and against such public attacks against us. One may think it’s a small battle but it’s winning the small battles that will ensure that we ultimately win this social war we’re in with conservatives.

7. Mary says

I see no harm in LGBT individuals asking to meet wwith Cameron. Who knows? An honest discussion might sway him somewhat. At least it shows that the gay community is trying to reach people in a positive way and is not only about denouncing opponents as “hateful.” If Cameron turns down the offer it makes HIM look bad. But the gay community scores a point for using this tactic (with ordinary citizens, that is.)

Just my opinion, FWIW.

8. eat more food that is healthy, instead says

Cameron’s character in “Growing Pains” once said, and I’m pretty sure this is an exact quote, “Those people should be shot” when he found out the performers in “La Cage aux Folles” were men in drag. I wonder if Kirk remembers learning and reciting that (inexcusable) line.

I also wonder why no one else at “Growing Pains” or the network (ABC, I think) didn’t stop it, either.

Message to Mary: Occasionally you offend me, but I’m glad you are open enough to participate here, and offer your opinions candidly. I much prefer to read what you have to say than certain other regular posters who seem to just like to make trouble, and/or say outrageous things for the sake of saying outrageous things. I hope you will continue to post.

9. Mary says

“Eat”, thanks for the kind words. and I agree with you about the “those people should be shot” line. It doesn’t matter if Kirk Cameron agreed with it or not. Unless we were dealing with a serious drama about the effects of homophobia, a comment like that was not appropriate even if meant to make the Mike Seaver character look clownish.

10. D.R.H. says

These are the people that argue that “god” made bananas because of how easily they fit in one’s hand. You can’t reason with that kind of stupid.

11. andrew says

Tell this kid to stay away from Kirk Cameron. He is a programed biblical robat and unless the kid has some knowledge of biblical MYTHOLOGY, Kirk will twist him in circles.