News | Sam Greisman | towleroad

BigGayDeal.com

Today on Towleroad: GOP Convention Attempts Lift Off, and More

Isaac

As Tropical Storm Isaac closes in on the gulf, The Republican National Convention gets underway today and maybe has prayer to thank for an on time start? Rush Limbaugh believes that the convention was never really under threat. It's all a big conspiracy guys! Before watching the speeches, get in the mood with the Obama Campaign's preview. Chris Matthews has already made his presence known by blasting into the RNC Chairman. Allen West apparently thinks that the phrase "crap sandwich" is somehow "military vernacular". Meanwhile Fox News seems to have already made a surprising implication about the Romney brothers, by use of song choice. Maybe they were swayed by this week's New Yorker cover

In news outside of Tampa, Ron Paul says he would have prevented 9/11. While gay couples await word from the Supreme Court regarding Prop 8, the man who is supposedly the father of the proposition hit the Blood of Christ really hard last night. In slightly better news, Scott Brown says that Gay Marriage is a settled law. Charlie Crist looks to be leaning toward becoming a Democrat. He will speak at the Democratic Convention next week in Charlotte. In definite good news, Joe Biden praised gay rights activists over the weekend.

Feel good videos about coming out and being gay were popping up everywhere today. Check out this emotional video from an 18-year-old Rugby player who describes how he JUST came out. A recent gay high schooler has advice for other gay teens, chief among them is stay away from Grindr. Maybe that's advice we should all heed. Also check out this impassioned speech at Pride Festival in County Derry, Ireland.

Cutie Olympic diver Matthew Mitcham has another fun video. In tiny shorts of course.

Also check out a town hall at Drake University in Iowa about why marriage equality matters. If you've ever been obsessed with someone you've never met, this new documentary might just be for you. Another documentary was breaking box office records this weekend. The Anti-Obama documentary Obama's America 2016 was seen by a horrifying number of people. In other signs of the apocalypse a lion is creating panic as it runs amuck in the UK. Also, Ryan Lochte pees in a fountain, Rosie O'Donnell got secretly married, and "True Blood" has a gift for HBO Go subscribers

Lastly, I'd like to take a quick second to introduce myself. I'm Sam and I'm the new intern here at Towleroad. I'll be be doing regular daily recaps starting with today and working along side the team on other projects. I'm 24, live in New York City, and am really excited to get to be a part of the group here at Towleroad!

Comments

1. Oh wow. Don't see this too often. (least, not in my experience.) Hey Sam. Cocoa here,23 live in NC, and I like chocolate. Now then, moving on...

I don't think I've seen that many links in a Towleroad post before. XD I do not envy your job sir but I do respect it. Hope you have fun!

Posted by: Cocoa | Aug 27, 2012 9:23:51 PM

2. Not the same NYC-residing 24-year-old Sam Greisman whose mother happens to be Sally Field?

(I read "intern" and wonder how someone could give work away for free in this economy... then I read the contributor's name and, if my connected dots are correct, it suddenly makes sense.)

Posted by: TommyOC | Aug 27, 2012 9:34:27 PM

3. nice intro sam. looking forward to your regular recaps.

Posted by: Jed | Aug 27, 2012 9:38:07 PM

4. Sam..... you might want to get a blurb on the contributor page, and have your name link to it, like everybody else's does

Posted by: Matt in NYC | Aug 27, 2012 9:40:56 PM

5. Something isn't quite working about that recap... It feels kind of unnecessary. As I was reading it, i was thinking that there wasn't really much new that i didn't read during the day.

Maybe a recap could offer commentary, or could be more selective about what's included.

Posted by: hmm | Aug 27, 2012 9:59:14 PM

6. Sam - I love interns - without them I'd be a washed up schyster - Oh sorry - that's what I am anyway. I required photos from my interns - OMG isn't it traditional now in the age of facebook to include a snapshot? Lies like truth - that should be your journalistic motto I think - apply it to the snapshot if necessary.

Posted by: Markt | Aug 27, 2012 10:25:21 PM

7. Oh well. I know how this place rolls and didn't expect to see, but if Mitt Romney's official web site would have paid tribute to the first man on the moon Neil Armstrong with a picture of MITT ROMNEY, it would have gotten at least a mention here.

Posted by: Markus | Aug 27, 2012 10:26:34 PM

8. A very much appreciated addition to the site. It makes it easier to catch up after a busy day. Thanks guys! :-)

Posted by: Dion | Aug 27, 2012 10:33:00 PM

9. Welcome, Sam! I look forward to your recaps. Nice way to end the day.

Posted by: Kyle | Aug 27, 2012 10:39:08 PM

10. Welcome Sam ! Wish you the best internship possible :)

Posted by: oakpope | Aug 27, 2012 10:41:56 PM

11. Welcome Sam. I mostly lurk and link items of interest to my public FB page, however, I will try and check in now and then if I know someone is listening. :)

Posted by: Dale | Aug 27, 2012 10:54:04 PM

12. WELCOME SAM!

Since you're new to the site, I should tell you that new contributors usually post their height, role (top/btm/vers) and a photo of either their penis or themselves nude holding an iPhone. Awaiting your next post.

Posted by: Strepsi | Aug 27, 2012 11:08:15 PM

13. I like the recap idea.

I access Towleroad primarily via RSS feed, but the feed only lists a handful of articles. As a result, instead of the twice daily polling I do for all other sites, I tell my feed reader to access the Towleroad feed hourly, so I don't miss articles posted rapidly in succession (unfortunately, I can't tell it to do that just in the afternoon and evening).

Maybe this will let me turn off my PC once in a while.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 27, 2012 11:20:34 PM

14. Doesn't anyone live on the Pacific coast. It seems like NYC is so into incest. lol

Posted by: Barney | Aug 27, 2012 11:24:36 PM

15. First: welcome Sam. I used to have a lot of writing gigs in my mid-20s so I hope this one is valuable for you. You must be loving the href tag by now with all those links included (assuming you're using HTML).

Since you're a new intern and this seems like as good a time as any for giving feedback (mainly because I ignored all those survey requests that popped up several weeks back...oops), here's a thought. Is there any chance that Towleroad might have an easier interface to allow linking to certain broad types of stories (example, buttons in the header to filter for only the "political" or "legal" or "entertainment" stories)? I use the site mainly for the political and legal commentary, while a lot of the other "stuff" is less important to me. Probably others do the opposite. Just a thought :)

Posted by: Stefan | Aug 27, 2012 11:35:07 PM

16. Love the re-cap. Great writing style and packed tight with goodies.

Posted by: Danny | Aug 27, 2012 11:43:22 PM

17. I realized something different about the recap as I was reading along. It was more informative, favorably slanted, concise and captured my attention. Then you introduced yourself which just confirmed what I was thinking.

I didn't realize Towelroad was so involved. I just figured it was one dude sitting at home.

Anyway, welcome. I like your style and I'm sure the boss will be happy with you.

Posted by: Robert K Brown | Aug 28, 2012 12:05:24 AM

18. Great start. Awesome recap, and I agree with the others. I had read most of these stories today but LOVED how you tied it all together (I could never do that).

Well done! Keep it up!

Posted by: Derek in Madison | Aug 28, 2012 2:36:15 AM

19. my best advice sam, don't read the comment section. towleroad used to be a pretty troll-free zone, but not any more. they're being pretty nice because you are new and cute, but they'll be bitching within days.

welcome aboard

Posted by: bandanajack | Aug 28, 2012 2:56:12 AM

20. Great job Sam!

Posted by: Madcitymike | Aug 28, 2012 7:04:08 AM

21. Thanks Sam, and welcome. I don't really find the recap necessary but you've done a very good job and the upbeat tone is refreshing.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 28, 2012 8:46:12 AM

22. I wonder if Mitt the Mormon, and his Catholic VP took notice of their God's displeasure of their beliefs and actions, when HE Rained on their Parade Monday so that their Convention was cut short to one minute.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Aug 28, 2012 10:36:03 PM