2012 Election | Barack Obama | GOProud | Jimmy LaSalvia | Mitt Romney

GOProud's LaSalvia Says Romney Will Bring Gays Jobs, Dates: VIDEO

Lasaviaromney

It's clear by now that marriage equality is not high on GOProud leader Jimmy LaSalvia's list of political priorities. LaSalvia said in Junes that liberals and Democrats talk about the issue because it's a welcome "distraction" from more bread and butter concerns.

CNN's Piers Morgan wanted more explanation, though, and asked LaSalvia, "How can you really support a ticket which is so resolutely opposed not just to gay marriage but to most gay rights?: In response, LaSalvia offered this:

Here's the deal… The answer is you gotta have a date before you get married. Everyone knows you can't get a date without a job. … Gay Americans are living in the Obama economy and that's the reality that all voters are facing when they go into the voting booth.

Odd, I know unemployed people who go on dates. They're not fancy dates, but they are dates.

Watch video of LaSalvia's remarks AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Actually, moron, Americans are living in the Republicans' America. It's their failed policies which destroyed the economy, and their childish refusal to pass anything which will help it recover.

Posted by: LiamB | Aug 30, 2012 1:27:12 PM

2. Being a quisling c-ntbag doesn't get you dates either but that hasn't deterred LaSaliva yet.

And giving the Presidency to someone of the same party who got the economy in the fix it's in? Uh, yeah. Good luck with that. What other cunning plans do you have up your sleeve, Baldrick?

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 30, 2012 1:27:32 PM

3. The obama economy/

yet 63% of americans still think its the bush economy and blame bush for it all

reality has a liberal bias

Posted by: say what | Aug 30, 2012 1:31:30 PM

4. This is a comedy skit...right?

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Aug 30, 2012 1:31:50 PM

5. I hate to say it, but ... it seems to apply: You can't fix stupid; not even with duct tape.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Aug 30, 2012 1:32:00 PM

6. Someone should then ask them why they support a party completely in favor of employer's ability to fire people that are gay or percieved as gay without any other cause? In fact, the party actively opposes efforts to get sexual orientation added to protected classes of citizens in the states where this pans out?

Honestly, if the republican party were still about where it was at around the 80's with regan I could maybe see gay republican having a point about choosing a party that wasn't totally friendly to them- however the current republican party has made it quite clear that they are not just indifferent to the issue but openly hostile, including referring to the repeal of DADT int he armed services "social experimentation."

I feel bad for these people as they are obviously mentally ill

Posted by: MaddM@ | Aug 30, 2012 1:32:55 PM

7. Hey LaSalvia, some of us have jobs, have already dated, and been in a committed relationship for years. Why do you support people who stand in our way, if you truly believe in marriage equality?

Posted by: RHR IN TN | Aug 30, 2012 1:35:38 PM

8. But would he sign ENDA into law if it came across his desk? Doubt it.

Posted by: Craig | Aug 30, 2012 1:38:00 PM

9. Mr. LaSalvia - "To thine own self be true"

Posted by: DF | Aug 30, 2012 1:38:58 PM

10. guys, we all know why gay republicans are gay republicans.

they're the cowards of america who never learned how to stand up to their bigoted piece of s**t families. it's as simple as that.

remember this GOProud member? yeah. he loves sarah palin, because she reminds him of his mom.

GOProud - proving every gay liberal right.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 1:39:08 PM

11. There is nothing wrong with being a gay conservative. But GOProud and others really need to open their eyes and maybe READ their party's platform. Or just spend your lives scrambling for the crumbs your party tosses down at you, while they boo your "lifestyle". Wait another week and see what real inclusion means in North Carolina.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 30, 2012 1:42:27 PM

12. i lie how GOProud thinks marriage should not be federal, and left to the states, yet support a man and party that thinks there should be a FEDERAL BAN ON SAME-SEX MARRIAGES.

Also, some GOProud members (like Chris Barron) are married - they went to States where it's legal, and got married there.

So...they're happy to benefit from the work done by Liberals, yet don't join in any of that work at all.

GOProud, so busy slandering liberals, not helping the LGBT Community, and then ready to enjoy the hard work done by others.

this, boys, is why your families don't respect you. its not because you're gay, it's because you're such pathetic little wimps about it.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 1:46:07 PM

13. LaSalvia needs to keep his job to get any dates. The far right extremists like Anne Coulter pay him very well to kiss their @$$es. He must get buttfucked an awful lot.

Posted by: belo | Aug 30, 2012 1:47:35 PM

14. LaSalvia is bringing his own bias to the debate. He doesn't date unemployed people is what I think he meant to say. #PartyOfThe1%

Posted by: Keelai | Aug 30, 2012 1:47:46 PM

15. That kind of reveals what GOProud members' single issue is: money.

Posted by: luminum | Aug 30, 2012 1:51:12 PM

16. Trickle Down Dateonomics!

Posted by: entrepoid | Aug 30, 2012 1:55:49 PM

17. And if u can't date, Marriage doesn't matter?

Posted by: rick scatorum | Aug 30, 2012 1:56:19 PM

18. Did he look at all those jobs charts upside down? You know, the ones where jobs were being lost nearly every quarter during the Bush administration and jobs were being added (albeit not in huge numbers, thanks to the obstructionist Republicans) during the Obama administration?

Did he get confused about what ENDA is? Does he not know that most Republicans oppose ENDA and that Republicans have been trying to repeal state and local LGBT protections? How will I be able to get or keep a job (or a date) if my employer can fire me for being gay?

I'm unable to watch the video, but I sure hope the journalist asked those questions. That's their job. If not, that's some piss poor interviewing.

Posted by: John | Aug 30, 2012 1:58:53 PM

19. Jimmy, what's so wrong with being a stay-at-home gay? If it's good enough for Ann..

Posted by: DanO | Aug 30, 2012 2:20:11 PM

20. Problem with his argument is that this ISN'T Obamas economy; it's G. W. BUSH's and LaSalvia supported both Bush AND his economic policies and campaigned to continue them in 2008.

He has NO credibility!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 30, 2012 2:24:21 PM

21. remember when he lied and said he was attacked by a bunch of "black youths" whom he scared away by "pretending to reach for a gun?"

the man's a piece of s**t.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 30, 2012 2:31:39 PM

22. So he thinks you have to have money to be loved. He is truly a pitiful man.
    I see now what makes him such a good Republican, he knows nothing about love.

Posted by: 1♥ | Aug 30, 2012 2:39:57 PM

23. I don't need "dates" and I don't need tricks, either. What I need is for DOMA to be repealed and my marriage to be recognized by the Feds. How does Mittens feel about that?

Posted by: Hank | Aug 30, 2012 2:42:25 PM

24. I don't need "dates" and I don't need tricks, either. What I need is for DOMA to be repealed and my marriage to be recognized by the Feds. How does Mittens feel about that?

Posted by: Hank | Aug 30, 2012 2:42:27 PM

25. How pathetic is this guy? A date without a job...that's his motivation for this? Well, I can't imagine what I'm going to do now. I'm married so I don't date. I'm retired so I don't want a job. I guess I'll just "fall through the cracks" with my husband. Sounds good to me now that I've said it.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Aug 30, 2012 2:44:02 PM