Mississippi Gov: Everyone Should Be Allowed To Marry, Except The Gays

BryantMississippiThe state of Mississippi found itself facing its past when a predominantly white church, First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, last month refused to marry an African-American couple.

Gov. Phil Bryant was asked about the scandal this week and said that he believes everyone should be allowed marry, and that the church in question was in the wrong. So, what about same-sex couples, who are forbidden to tie the knot in Mississippi? Well there the answer changes.

From The Mississippi Press:

Bryant said the denial of a wedding for a black couple at a traditionally white church has "tainted" Mississippi's image nationwide.

"I'm sure there are very good people of Crystal Springs and in that Baptist church that don't feel that way and are supporting that effort," Bryant said of the Wilsons' desire to marry in the church.

"Look, when people want to get married, we ought to let them get married," Bryant said. "We have enough people that won't go and get married. I want to make every opportunity I can for any couple that wants to, to go get married."

Even gay couples?

"I wouldn't say gay couples, no," Bryant said. "I'd say a man and a woman. Let me make sure, let's get that right. When I say couples, I automatically assume it's a man and a woman."

His conservative politics are so deeply ingrained that they won't even let his imagination meander into the realm of same-sex love.

Comments

1. Tony says

It’s not that the “conservativeness” is so ingrained that he can’t imagine it. It’s that he’s an ignorant fool and doesn’t think about the words he’s actually saying.

2. Don says

I was born and raised in northeast Mississippi. I remember as a kid at the 1st Baptist in Columbus, Ms watching the Deacons of the church stand at every entrance door to the sanctuary when rumor had it that “black” people had plans to show up for worship. They were stationed at the door to turn away any black people. That was 53 years ago.
    God save me from your Mississippi Christians.

3. Tracy says

I might be in the minority here but I believe that the church was within it’s rights to be discriminatory and not marry the couple. If the marriage equality law in New York State allows a church not to marry same-sex couples, then how can a church be forced to marry non-white couples? Let them discriminate as much as they want. I would hope that every non-white member of that church has taken their tithes and gone elsewhere. The shame that the members of the church that hid their heads in the sand felt will become overwhelming eventually. I also believe that when marriage equality becomes the law of the land, people will realize that their own bigotry and hatred for same-sex couples will shame them. That is my hope.

4. says

You just know that he would have been first in line to support the whites-only marriage policy at the church if that were still publicly acceptable. But it isn’t. So he doesn’t.

And what Tracy says is true. Churches are generally free to marry whichever couples they choose. So the church can do this. But society generally doesn’t accept the kind of bigotry they were showing in this case, whereas much of society–including Gov. Automatically Assume–still has no problem expressing their bigotry towards gay couples.

5. JRoo says

The similarities between what gay people experience today and what black people experienced yesterday are so prominent that it’s startling how the conservatives wish to not see the parallels. The capacity in which the persecutions exist/existed may not be identical, but the format, principle, and discrimination are the same. In many ways, I’m left preplexed how gay people are CLEARLY the new flavor of the era to hate, and how soooooo many humans can’t see the similarities?!

6. says

It’s going to take gay people ALL being actively involved in their rights to change the wave of societal homophobia.

Sadly, far too many gay people are indifferent toward helping the LGBT movement. They are weak minded, and frightened to combat the homophobia of their friends and family. You’d NEVER see a black person, latino person, Jewish person or female stand befriending someone who was against them….but gays? they will not only befriend a homophobe, they’ll stick their neck out and say things like:

“well, my homophobic friend has every right to be homophobic. and they don’t hate me. I mean they don’t like beat me up or call me names, they just believe I’m a sin, what I do is evil, I don’t deserve the same government rights and treatment as they do, and they would discourage me from having a family. but I still love hanging out with them”

The above is the mentality of many a gay people. THAT is why we are getting fired in some 30 states every day because we’re gay. when you EXCUSE homophobia within your circle of friends….you have no wiggle room to demand change in homophobia within a society. Remember that.

7. IonMusic says

Thank you USC Trojans Fan. One of the most honest, real and truthful posts on this site I’ve ever read in all my years of visiting. You did sum it up.

8. Scott Johansen says

A great portion of homophobia does exist because our community have been enablers. I agree with that sentiment entirely.
    Just yesterday I was speaking to a gay friend who was telling me how hurt he was that his “friend” was going on and on in facebook rants against the gay community in regards to the Chik Fil A issue. This was apparentally a friend that my gay friend has been there for, and helped in their lives. I told my friend “well, what did you do in response? did you reply to their facebook rants and try to educate them? challenge them? explain to them WHY our rights are important to us? Did you attempt to do so privately atleast?” and his response was no, because he didn’t want to offend him. A man who went out of his way to offend my friend, his livelihood, and the community he’s part of; and my friend was fearful to be offensive to a man who had no issue being offensive himself. That is the deep rooted issue with our platform and strategy. We say “please give us rights. and if you choose not to, that’s okay to. I accept you as is even if you don’t accept me back”
    As USC Trojan Fan said above, you don’t accomplish much progress with being complacent.

9. my2cents says

there’s a great Eastern teaching about the philosophy of ‘good company’.

Western interpretation: you are the company you keep… choose those you associate with as they are reflections of your Self.

much sympathy for the couple refused marriage — how long have they been associated with that congregation?

Where was the rest of the congregation when their union was denied?

then there’s the ‘your son loves my son’ or ‘your daughter loves my daughter’ aspect…

following a moment of reflection, everyone joyously songs about God being Love. and Love being God.

lunch is served.

10. GoneGold1981 says

Andrew,
    You’ve constantly made refernces to how it’s not time for gay marriage yet and activists this, and gay community is too militant that, and now as it relates to interracial marriage- you’re suddenly angry and shamed of people who are against that? How is your message consistent? You accept homophobia, but draw the line at racism. You’re the type of person that cherry picks bigotry based on what doesn’t apply to you, while waving your homophobic flag daily here.
    Clown.

11. says

Yes, well said, USC Trojans Fan. Seeing the Vito Russo–and all his passion–doc last week brought this home to me. How timid and complacent we can be. Far too many are willing to give homophobia a pass among those they know because to call people on it might, god forbid, offend them. They believe that if we stay nice and quiet a polite in the face of it, somehow they’ll like us and automatically acceptance and rights will be granted on a silver platter–whereas the opposite is true. If we don’t draw attention to homophobia, especially of the “caring” kind, who will?

12. Kilean says

This man literally doesn’t even compute the idea of same sex couples. Like he’s so homophobic that he genuinly can’t even grasp that as an idea. And these are the people ‘ruling’ our states. In 2012. In America.

13. Kilean says

USC Trojans Fan-

I really appreciate what you wrote. I lived in Northern California during the Prop 8 fiasco. I remember my younger gay friends mostly telling me they didn’t care, and they’d rather just go to parties and clubs and not be involved in the most important social vote affecting the lives of those around them and their own lives in the future.

Fast forward today, and those same friends are ashamed and disgusted at their former outlook. Two of them are in loving relationships and obviously can’t get married. I remind them constantly about how back then, they were far more engaged in going out and dancing as opposed to organizing and galvanizing and talking with their families.

It’s never too late, and they are doing that now. But I know first hand, if ALL GLBT in our state actually cared, like truly cared about Prop 8 and it’s vote,our side would have won with flying colors. And been the first state to win in the peope’s vote, and the conservatives wouldn’t have that banner to fly that “no state passed gay marriage through people’s votes” California easily could have if our people CARED. It would have completely shifted the entire narrative here. Conservatives themselves resigned themselves to the fact that CA would pass gay marriage. When we didn’t, it COMPLETELY energized and fueled the anti gay crowd. They said “if we can tackle and beat gays in CALIFORNIA, we can do so in every state” and they got their gift.
    Too many gay people in Cali just didn’t care back in 2008 and didn’t register the consequences of losing CA (which we are still facing today)

14. ewing_ryan says

Not only is Phil Bryant’s comment regarding same sex marriage bigoted (no surprise there) it is a bit ironic given that his only son, Patrick, is gay. His director of communications is gay as well.

15. Matt says

Oh give me a break. This is Mississippi; the stinkhole of the nation.
    Half of the Republicans there, which is to say half the state, rejects Loving v Virginia IN 2012. So spare me any attempt to make that state look evolved; it got shafted by evolution BIG TIME.

16. Icebloo says

….and still there will be idiot gays in that state who vote for this idiot Governor. We will never have equal rights until we educate all the gays not to hate themselves or view themselves as “inferior”.

There should be no gay people voting Republican. It is insane !

17. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

AS A NATIVE OF MISSISSIPPI, I GUARANTEE, Governor Phil Bryant REPRESENTS THE VALUES OF OUR GREAT STATE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

18. JustJaime says

I think it’s interesting as a society we have completely denounced racism, but homophobia is celebrated as a freedom. And sadly, and usually, by the very people who take most offense to racism

19. Kevin Mendoza says

For me, racism and homophobia are not any different. I do resent those who think racism is sooo much more horrid than homophobia. I believe being gay in America is so much more challenging than being black. Being gay means you get hate from everyone, blacks included, white, hispanic, all backgrounds. Racism exists in small fringes and is hardly as promoted as homophobia, so at times, I don’t even believe the two should be compared because gay peeps have it MUCH harder.

20. LazerlightBeams says

I don’t think there’s any question that homophobia is far more rampant in America than racism in 2012.

I’m pretty positive if Chik Fil A spoke against interracial marriage, virtually every store would have riots or be bombed by now, with hardly a single soul speaking out in their favor. Not a one.

21. TruthSeeker_Too says

For all of you gnashing your teeth about complacency, you have a chance to make a difference:
    There are 4 ballot initiatives pending (in the states of Maine, Minn., Maryland and Washington) where are rights are up for a vote.
    Talk to friends, families and co-workers living in those states and ask them to get involved and make sure they vote to support our rights — and that they ask their friends, etc. to support our rights.

Better yet, volunteer with the campaigns to make phone calls or $end them money to $upport our cause. Find their websites and donate as much as you can afford. Even $10 will be a huge help.

So make a difference. Give today. Take a stand.

22. Hector says

It seems “Freedom of Speech” has become the code words for “We hate the queers”. The christians/republicans are becoming increasingly strident as gains are made on the gay side. Frankly, I don’t know what will happen in the country. The hatred is becoming so intense you can feel it. All I can say is vote, give money if you can, participate if possible, and pray (if you’re of that persuasion) for a miracle.

23. says

Here’s a point that NEVER ever….. Ever gets brought up in all my years on gay blogs:

The best way to combat homophobia and anti equality laws is getting more gays to run for office, an be part of politics. We are the ONLY demographic that don’t actively encourage or have a platform set up to get our LGBT people running for office. If they have to do it closeted in some rural places, then go in and make change on our behalf, so be it. But as it stands…. We hardly ever promote gays running for political positions and it’s a crying shame. The congressional black caucas, latino groups, women’s right groups all work actively in many various forms to help ‘their own’ run for influential law making positions. We don’t do that. We should have farrrrrrrrrr FAR more gays an lesbians in politics. I truly believe it would make a difference in ensuring our rights an protections in some capacity and have great positive impacts

24. Oz in OK says

I did a Google search of Patrick Bryant and, alas, there’s no statement by him denouncing the ‘oh it’s bad when it affects black folk but completely all right when it affects my own son’ mentality of his father. Like others have said, that’s a BIG part of the problem here – historically too few of us have denounced the bigotry of our ‘friends and family’, especially when they feel just fine in going public with their hate.

However, I believe that’s changing, and the Chick-Fil-A debacle has been a BIG catalyst. I don’t know about all of you, but my FB feed on Wednesday was literally crammed with my Gay, Lesbian and straight ally friends denouncing their own ‘friends’ who thought it was okay to post hate – over and over again, I saw people being unfriended after enduring withering rebuke. The ‘oh it’s just a difference of opinion’ lie was shot down repeatedly.

I’m glad to see it. I want to see more LGBT folks (and straight allies) being unafraid to offend those who have no problems offending us.

25. CKNJ says

Oh and that troll CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON… just look at his facebook page and you will see he is a true Mississippian… a tea party bigot to the end! Wonder why he is trolling Towleroad… probably looking at the pics of hot guys with his hand helping him get off under the desk… freak!

26. jamal49 says

@EWING_RYAN: Is that true? Bryant’s son is gay? His DOC is gay as well? Sort of puts the bold italic underscore to what USC TROJANS FAN has written.

My jaw dropped at the hetero-arrogance of Bryant, that when he says “couple” he “automatically assumes it’s a man and a woman”.

Well, right there is the crux of the entire issue of same-sex marriage or, even, the issue of full civil equality for LGBT people.

Gov. Bryant and millions of others like him do not see us as human beings, capable of loving and being loved in return.

And Bryant and millions of others like him call themselves “christians”.

Sad. Very, very sad.

27. maddm@ says

Get real governor- mississippi is regularly the fattest, sickest, poorly educated and most illiterate state. It’s one of the highest consumers of government aid (although many in the state will go on about “people on wellfare” meaning urban black people- see poorly educated) while giving back the least. America drags mississippi along like its deadbeat brother in law. I think CPS should be called on every kid in the state and they should be given an opportunity to escape into civilization and leave that awful pit.

28. Jerry6 says

Since the”Gay” Gene is supplied by the Male sperm at conseption(sp?), Mr. Bryant’s comment reminds me of Shakspeare’s comment – “Me thinks thow doest complain too much.” Is Mr. Bryant hiding something?

29. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“JUSTJAIME,”

SOCIETY HAS NOT COMPLETELY DENOUNCED RACISM. CAUCASIANS ARE TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT IT. NEGROES WILL NEVER ACCEPT HOMOSEXUALITY.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

30. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“CKNJ,”

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTONS ARE IN THE UNITED STATES? I DO NOT HAVE A Facebook PAGE. I HAVE N-E-V-E-R POSTED MY PHOTOGRAPH ONLINE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

31. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“CKNJ,”

Towleroad RARELY HAS PHOTOGRAPHS OF “HOT GUYS.” I LIKE HAIRY AND MATURE MALES – NOT, SMOOTH-BODIED TWINKS.

OH YES, SIR! – I ENJOY MASTURBATION! MY HAND IS ON MY PETER RIGHT NOW, THINKING ABOUT WHAT YOU MAY LOOK LIKE. ARE YOU MY TYPE, “CKNJ?”

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

32. Amanda B. Rekendwith says

The beginning of the PBS video/series about Clinton starts with something about the people in Arkansas taking some pride in the fact that on almost every measure of anything, Arkansas finished #49th on the list, but Mississippi was always 50th.

33. Rob Zeleniak says

Why is it always politicians from Mississippi or Alabama who spout these bigoted remarks? Obviously, the Baptist church isn’t doing anything all that effective to make it a better place to live, so why continuously defend it? Those two states consistently rank last in quality of life. This ineffectual so called “leader” should be doing more to lift it out of its engrained poverty and ignorance. Illogical.

34. millerbeach says

Like most of the South, it is to the brim with hypocrites. These fools call themselves Christians, but they are so very far from any Christian ideal, it is comical. “Taint” the image of Mississippi? Impossible. How can you taint something that has been tainted for the last few centuries? Remember that lil’ slavery thing? Then the “War between the states”, as you backward idiots still refer to it. Reason #867 why I will never live in the stupid, backwards, hick south. You can keep your warm weather with cold hearts. I like it up here where smart people live. Stay with your fellow dummies where you belong, eating deep-fried puke sandwiches. Don’t choke!