NOM Will Use FRC Shooting To Its Advantage

NOMHero

The National Organization for Marriage started a website called "Hero of G Street" to celebrate Leo Johnson, the security guard wounded during a shooting at Family Research Council's DC HQ this week.

Perfectly nice, right? Well, the get well message is coupled with NOM president Brian Brown's claim that the shooting was directly precipitated by Southern Poverty Law Center and other groups' labeling of FRC as a hate group.

Supporters, preferably those NOM doesn't already know, are encouraged to enter their email address, which will then no doubt be used for NOM fundraiser fliers.

(h/t Joe.My.God.)

Comments

1. Derrick from Philly says

“Get Well” message my azz. NOM needs to pay for Mr Johnson’s medical bills and then shut the f.ck up.

Is this the craziest summer in American history or what? Global warming, I guess.

2. Hunter says

Wow, just wow!
    I mean it very sincerely when I say that NOM is sinking to a level of sleaze and desperation that even I find hard to believe, and I’ve never put anything past them.

3. yuninv says

Of course they will use this to their advantage. Thanks to some moron, it’s going to be part of the national debate, whereas all of the gays and lesbians who are beat and slaughtered by Christian bigots don’t even get a scrawl.

4. ncman says

we need to make sure that we don’t lose the messaging war on this one like we did with Chcik-Fil-A.

We need to make very clear in ALL media markets exactly why SPLC has designated FRC as a hate group. It has nothing to do with their opinion of the LGBT community or equality or same-sex marriage. It has everything to do with their actions and their constant LIES about the LGBT community.

Every time this issue is discussed, the actual reasons for the hate designation need to be discussed.

5. Buckie says

Well, we certainly are not going to have to wait for long for the backlash. As this mess escalates, people in the LGBT community WILL die.

One thing Christians are really great at, is murder…

6. Diogenes Arktos says

“their constant LIES about the LGBT community”

Unfortunately, they think that they are telling the truth (because it’s supposedly in the Bible – hence unchallengeable), unlike the SPLC which is spreading unsupported lies (supported, of course, by decades of peer-reviewed research).

7. Clif says

Recently the president of the FRC, Tony Perkins advocated setting up an underground railroad to deliver children from gay parents. When the President of a group (the FRC) advocates kidnapping, reasonable people call the group a “Hate Group”.

Crazy people might react to crazy statements and the FRC needs to assume responsibility for their own actions.

The PLC center advocates for justice for all.

8. Oz in OK says

Jeremy Hooper over at Good As You noticed that NOM had bought out the website name yesterday… seems he was correct.

I absolutely agree with Brian – from now on, every time we hear of a hate crime against the LGBT community, the anti-gay rhetoric of FRC, AFA and NOM should be immediately linked to the crime.

9. Diogenes Arktos says

@samiam: Yes, you are right that the “underground railroad” was Bryan Fischer of the AFA. He justifies the kidnapping because he believes that all LGBT folk molest children. In addition, because he believes God’s law supersedes humanity’s law, his civil disobedience (which he undoubtedly feels would be apporved by MLK).

I most certainly agree that, “It’s hard to keep track of all of the bigots.” I have made multiple misattributions myself. I console myself that I’ve referenced the right type of person, even if it’s not the right person.

10. says