Yes On 8 Fined $49,000 For Improper Disclosures

Prop8fineCalifornia's Fair Political Practices Commission today imposed a $49,000 fine against Yes on 8, the discriminatory group that successfully banned marriage equality in The Golden State, for the organization's donor disclosure failures.

From the LA Times:

The state Fair Political Practices Commission determined that the campaign committee ProtectMarriage.com—Yes on 8 failed to properly file public reports disclosing late contributions and political checks over $5,000, as well as failing to properly dispose of an anonymous $10,000 contribution. An investigation concluded that more than $1 million in contributions was not properly reported.

The campaign committee admitted to the violations and agreed to pay the fines.

Ellen Sturtz from Equality California says the "modest" fines do no go far enough and wants further investigations into Yes on 8's campaigning. "I come here today, urging you to do your utmost to protect our democracy against those who have contempt for it, us and our laws," she said today.

The Commission, however, found no evidence of any other political chicanery and said that the case is now closed.

Comments

1. Aiden Raccoon says

Sure, California Fair Practices investigation found this, but what about the IRS? I remember, with many people, filing a number of complaints to the IRS about the Mormon church secretly giving to the Yes on 8 campaign and not disclosing any of it as they are required to. I think this is further evidence of my complaint.

2. Continuum says

So, the get fined $49K.

A drop in the bucket for the bigots who funnel money into this campaign, ie Mormon and Catholic churches.

How’s about some real fines and some real prison time.

3. JellyBean says

They don’t care what fines are brought against them after they get the vote they wanted. There should be some way to catch this before the voting begins.

4. Continuum says

Let’s see.

Literally $1 million of mistakes, but fined only $49K.

49,000/1,000,000 = less than a 5% fine.

I guess, they’ll consider it a cost of doing dirty business and continue on doing the same old, same old.

5. Stefan says

Regardless of the money, the bottom line is that they broke the law. This weakens their case.

I look forward to celebrating the return of equality to California this October when the Supreme Court refuses to hear Perry v Brown.

6. michaelofthegreen says

I’m a little behind on the news, but weren’t they ultimately *unsuccessful*? I thought it was overturned in the courts. I admit to not knowing.

7. Mike says

This is the tip of the iceberg of crimes that the antigay Christian have done, keep digging and you will find a lot more crimes and dead bodies and blood on the hands of these antigay Christians and they are the real criminals who need to be arrested and put in prison for a long, long time. Some of them work in the legal system, from the top to bottom.

8. Icebloo says

I agree with Jellybean. If they are found guilty then the election should be declared null and void and it should have to be done again but with the guilty party paying for the whole election they have forced to be redone. They should also get a fine of around $1million.

I think that rule would make them behave !

9. just_a_guy says

Apparently the court did not see the need to enforce actual respect for the disclosure law.

Or else they just sympathized with the powerful modern-day Klan (NOM/AFA/FRC).

The modern-day Klan (NOM/AFA/FRC, fronts for Papist Rome and the Mormon Prophet, et al.) is ALIVE AND WELL. And this court just ensured the effectiveness of the Klan keeping its white hoods on. Sadly, Mormon Romney and Catholic Ryan would be proud.

With this ruling, we’ll never know more precisely WHO is behind the hoods. That feeds the POWER of the FRC/AFA/NOM klan.

This ruling seems to simply embolden the the AFA/FRC/NOM klan. I see no justice in the ruling. Did I miss something?