Frank Ocean | Kevin Hart | News

Kevin Hart Lauds Frank Ocean's Coming Out at MTV VMA's: VIDEO

Ocean

In the midst of targeting several celebrities in the audience, host Kevin Hart gave Frank Ocean props last night in his opening monologue for having the courage to come out of the closet:

Hart"I think what Frank Ocean did was really great, and I'm very serious about that. For those who don't know what Frank Ocean did, he realized he needed to come out of the closet in the middle of singing one of his songs. 'I've been thinkining about you, Leroy.' They said, 'Frank, I think you said "Leroy,"' he said, 'No I didn't. I said "Lisa."'... They said, 'Frank, we can play it back if you want us to.' He said, everybody take five, he wrote a letter to his fans. Not everybody can do that, and for that, I commend you."

The audience agreed. Later Ocean sang a gorgeous rendition of "Thinkin About You".

Watch both clips (the Hart bit comes at 3:30), AFTER THE JUMP...

Get More: 2012 VMA, Artists.MTV, Music

Comments

1. lol, one of these days Frank Ocean will get to come out as bi.

Posted by: Fenrox | Sep 7, 2012 9:20:30 AM

2. Fenrox
    You dont know if he is bisexual or not. He never revealed he was bi nor gay but revealed he HAS been with a man. That you an your type are so eager to paint him as bisexual goes hand in hand with your gay erasure, as you want to erase the idea of gays, and a gay community. You're looking for validation in being a bisexual from a man who has never stated he is bi (or gay, but certainly never said he's bi either) stop being inescure in your bisexuality as a man, and resenting the fact that the national mainstream conversation toward support if for gays and lesbians. You mad?'

Posted by: Mateo | Sep 7, 2012 9:35:25 AM

3. Mateo,

Search Towleroad under the name 'FENROX' and see for yourself the level of vile, ghetto, homophobic, bigotry this dude spews on here. Don't even dignify the turd with a response.

Posted by: AJ | Sep 7, 2012 9:37:04 AM

4. Fenrox-
    why are you so fixated on putting the bi label on Frank Ocean? He's simply come out with a male on male former relationship. That cats like you have such an issue with a hip hop artist being deemed gay is reason why homophobia is so rampant in the hip hop and urban culture. Some in the LGBT community coming out passionately making sure everyone knows Frank Ocean is not gay and bi, when he's not once said he's bi, tells me some of you bisexuals think you're better than gays.

Posted by: Dynex | Sep 7, 2012 9:40:02 AM

5. The truth is, there's a lot of homophobia within the male bisexual community. They truly have themselves convinced that because they also sleep with the opposite sex, they are more accepting and less threatening than gays, and seem to always go out of their way to showcase how they are not gay. Not all, but many. Doesn't say much about being secure in their sexuality. Anyways, good for Frank Ocean for the support his coming out has gotten.

Posted by: Art Smith | Sep 7, 2012 9:43:02 AM

6. The problem with the American music industry is that it is highly homophobic towards male-male sexuality. Unfortunately, it seems to have gotten worse in recent years with the rise of rap and hip-hop.

The gay community has stood by and allowed MTV to promote and encourage a range of homophobic rap and hip-hop acts. Partly out of a fear of offending your partners in the liberal coalition, you refused to criticize black acts and their vile anti-gay rants.

Shame on America's gay community for allowing this to happen. As a community, you were seduced by MTV's so-called gay-friendliness, a ploy which was designed to lull you into a sense of "she'll be right". It was the keep-them-half-happy-and-they-won't-rebel ploy. Ever heard of it? Well, now you have.

Posted by: jason | Sep 7, 2012 9:45:04 AM

7. Fenrox... If anyone would appreciate someone not being gay, it's you. Why are you even on this blog, on a near hourly basis at that, when all your posts suggest an unhealthy obsession and disdain toward gays. You bitter because the posters on here had the courage to be forthcoming and open and proud of our sexuality and you still have to hide it?

Posted by: Kyle | Sep 7, 2012 9:45:08 AM

8. Have you noticed that women are allowed to get away with singing I Kissed A Girl? And not just get away with it, mind you, but have a number 1 hit with it! A man would never be allowed the same success with a male version of this song.

Who's to blame? Women are to blame. Women won't buy music made by openly gay or bisexual men if it is marketed thus. Fault also lies with Clear Channel, which owns many radio stations. Rumor has it that Clear Channel has a policy of refusing to play songs by openly gay or bisexual men.

Posted by: jason | Sep 7, 2012 9:49:03 AM

9. Madonna was explicitly bisexualizing her image many years ago. A man has never been allowed to do what she did and have the same degree of commercial success. If there have been intimations of homosexuality in male singers, it's usually been reserved to teapot poses and camp stage presence. In other words, nothing really sexual enough to scare the horses.

It's a horrible double standard which women themselves exploit. In fact, my theory is that such women actually block the progress of openly gay or bisexual male singers.

It's ironic that, for decades, we've been worshipping the Madonnas of the music biz only to realize that perhaps it's these women who are getting in the way of gay and bisexual male progress.

Posted by: jason | Sep 7, 2012 9:54:17 AM

10. Jason and Fenrox seem like the same bitter bisexual poster. Stop seeking validation from others. Just be yourselves.

Posted by: Cortes | Sep 7, 2012 10:33:59 AM

11. First of all, most of the people who have commented on this are total idiots. Sorry, but you need to know. Second of all, you may not like what Fenrox said, but HE IS RIGHT.

Let's get some facts shall we?

1. Frank said he once FELL IN LOVE WITH a man, he NEVER SAID HE DATED ONE or ENTERED A SAME SEX RELATIONSHIP.

2. Frank is attracted to women and has made this obvious many, many, many, many times. He's professed his attraction for women and men in songs, even though once "came out" (I DESPISE that word) people seemed to forget about that.

3. It's not homophobic, showing "gay erasure", or spreading gay-hate by correcting you. Bisexual DOES NOT = Gay. Many bi people have no problem with gays, the problem is when some of you act like sexuality is black and white or like there is only one way a person can go. No.

4. Frank hasn't said whether he's gay or bisexual, BUT you people are nitpicking what you hear and read and if you paid attention you would know that he is 99% more likely to be BISEXUAL. No gay man would still go on to talk about having sex and being in relationships/love with a woman after posting the letter that Frank did.

5. One thing I've noticed on not just this site, but many sites that seem to target for a gay audience is how much people HATE to admit that bisexuals exist or that the possibility of Frank and others "Queers" or "Other" people being bisexual is (more than likely) true.

Off topic moment: This brings me to Ezra Miller. PLEASE stop calling him GAY. He never said he was and it's kind of disrespectful, I've met many "Queer" people and quite a few of them were bi, transgendered, and were even HETEROSEXUAL.

Posted by: Shaunie | Sep 7, 2012 1:36:51 PM

12. I'm so upset I made some errors. Oh well, you'll get the point regardless.

Posted by: Shaunie | Sep 7, 2012 1:39:26 PM

13. Andy Towle,

SIR, THANKS FOR THE Frank Ocean PERFORMANCE VIDEO - I HAD NEVER HEARD HIM SING. THIS "NEW-AGE" TYPE OF SINGING IS NOT MY THING.

I DID NOT HEAR Mr. Ocean SING, "Leroy."

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Sep 7, 2012 1:44:18 PM

14. I think he did a brave and great thing coming out but his music is AWFUL. This performance was worse than AWFUL.

I hope he starts to write and perform better so I can buy some of his music.

Posted by: Icebloo | Sep 7, 2012 3:00:44 PM

15. The more I listen to his music the more I like it. His voice is so smooth, his lyrics so intelligent and his phrasing is very sensual. Hot man and music.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 7, 2012 4:39:18 PM

16. What Frank Ocean has done is monumental.

Posted by: Miguel | Sep 7, 2012 4:41:21 PM

17. Dude never found the note. He must have a good producer because that was flat as hell.

Posted by: skb | Sep 7, 2012 4:47:59 PM

18. I love him.. this song is beautiful.

Posted by: R | Sep 7, 2012 8:52:39 PM

19. Shaunie

You perfectly illustrate how fcked up most bisexuals are. You resent gays because we're far more accepted than male bisexuality in society. Thats your problem. Get over it. To any gays reading this, NEVER unde any circumstance get in a relationship with bisexuals. They are ALL fcked up in the head and as another poster stated, they are weak and would rather be in a hetero relationship for socities approval anyway.

Posted by: Seattle mike | Sep 7, 2012 10:05:27 PM

20. @ shaunie
    Many bisexuals don't have much of a problem with gays? You better not. Because it's us gays who are actually honest and open with our sexualities that enable you bisexuals to do what you do. You bisexuals have done jack sh*t to uplift equality in this nation for LGBT. You're either too busy hiding in the closet (hence why you WOULD resent the term coming out) or trying to play passable "str8 acting" in public. You are usually the most critical of any efforts gays make toward their movement, when it really shouldnt even be your concerns as you contribute nothing. In a perfect world, bisexuals wouldnt be able to benefit from the progress the gay and lesbian community make because you all deserve nothing for your lack of contribution. Bisexual men have the biggest hang up on not appearing gay, more so than most straight men. That's because you all think seeming gay is bad but guess what, society will always view a pole smoker as gay, gay, gay. Get over yourselves.
    Signed
    PROUD gay man.

Posted by: Kyle L | Sep 7, 2012 10:13:09 PM

21. I'm bi. Always have been. Been in relationships with guys and girls, and I don't care what others might think about it, nor am I hiding. I stand up for Equality wherever I can. But I get a lot of the "you're just afraid to admit you're really gay" BS from gay guys... No, I'm not. Because I'm not gay, I'm bi. Get over it.

Posted by: DeeperStill | Sep 8, 2012 12:42:06 AM

22. To Kyle and Seattle, I'm not bisexual and I don't have any resentment towards gays. My problem is when SOME gay people start speaking recklessly about bisexuals/their existence, other gays who don't fit what they agree with or see as "norm", or act as if they know everything. Lol and I have yet to meet ONE bisexual who is "closeted", but I can think of a ton of gay men and women who (AS WE SPEAK) are trying so hard to convince people that they either:

A) Are not gay.
    B) Are not like the "other" gays. Whatever the hell that means.

You two are just so full of ignorance and hatred, I can't even take you seriously lol.

@Kyle: Oh and just so you'll sleep better at night: I never claimed that there was anything wrong with being gay. You can't help it or change it so why would I? You seem to think that I have a problem with gay people because I CORRECTED the ignorance that so many of you on this site seem to possess. My words were not for the gays with common sense or those who didn't impose on others.

@Seattle Mike: Gay men (and women) LIKE YOU do bisexuals a favor by not dating them. Everyone deserves someone who will love and respect them as they are, no one loves a tyrant. Remember that.

Posted by: Shaunie | Sep 8, 2012 1:03:08 AM

23. @Shaunie... if you're not gay or bisexual... you have no place speaking as if you understand the complexities- when you say "my problem with gays is" or when you generalize how we feel about bisexuals, you are biting more than you can chew- if you're a hag or unicorn that's awesome ... more power to you but you only carry a visitors pass to our community with limited access and capabilities - okurrr... BTW a man that has a relationship with a man displays GAY characteristics - you can call it bi but for those of us that know better - we see it for what it is... get a clue

Posted by: Rafael | Sep 8, 2012 11:27:09 PM

24. Shaunie, Ferox, etc. etc. et al,

When advance reviewers noticed that Frank Ocean's lyrics mentioned men in the way that most male singers write about women they started to ask questions, which made it to the internet. In response Frank Ocean released part of the liner notes which talk about when he fell in love with a man and experienced feelings he didn't know existed, even though he thought he'd been in love with women in the past. That love was unfortunately not reciprocated, and it was also many years in the past.

Now. It's true that Frank Ocean hasn't said much since then. However, if it was just a one-time thing why would he bother bringing so much attention to it when he's trying to make it in a notoriously homophobic musical genre? I doubt he would, so that means he's at least bisexual. Only Frank Ocean can say what Frank Ocean's sexuality is, but he's already given what's known as a BIG EFFING CLUE about that.

Now. So far as Shaunie's unrelated comment about Ezra Miller goes, she's kind of right. He came out as "queer," which among a certain type of self-proclaimed "outsider" kids are concerned, doesn't mean a hell of a lot. He seemed to imply as part of that statement that boyfriends were a possibility as well as girlfriends. I actually think it's funny that many headlines have said "Ezra Miller comes out as Gay" when that isn't actually what happened. He's promoting a movie where he plays a gay character and I think his mouth got ahead of him and now so far as much of the world is concerned he's gay. LOL! That oughta teach the pretentious little hipster to go shooting his mouth off about how he's "queer," trying to up his I'm so misunderstood quotient!

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 9, 2012 12:12:38 AM

25. @Rafael: As a "bi-romantic" ASEXUAL, I think I do have a right to speak on bisexual and gay issues, seeing as though I'm put in the same group with bisexuals (though I don't identify as that). Lol and you are a complete idiot if you believe a man liking another man automatically makes him GAY, keep in mind there are men who attracted to men, BUT love and feel attraction to women in the same right. (Examples: My brother and my boyfriend).

@Caliban: ... Not a chick.

Posted by: Shaunie | Sep 9, 2012 2:55:02 AM