Boy Scouts | Discrimination | News

BigGayDeal.com

Intel Cuts Off Funding to Boy Scouts of America Until Anti-Gay Policies are Dropped

Bs_wahls

Yesterday, Andrew reported on a campaign led by Eagle Scout Zach Wahls calling on Intel to end its funding of the Boy Scouts of America after it was discovered that the corporation had given the BSA nearly $700,000 in 2010.

IntelThe funding was in conflict with Intel Foundation's policies,  which stipulates that Intel will not fund "Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or disability status."

Today, after more than 30,000 people signed a petition started by Wahls, Intel announced that it would no longer be giving money to the BSA until it dropped its anti-gay policies.

Intel’s Chief Diversity Officer, Rosalind Hudnell told Think Progress that the company had adjusted its policies:

Due to significant growth in the number of organizations funded, earlier this year we revisited our policies associated with the program, and applied new rigor that requires any organization to confirm that it adheres to Intel’s anti-discrimination policy in order to receive funding.

Intel is committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and to supporting the communities in which we live and work.

Said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick in a statement:

"Intel joins current Boy Scouts of America Board Members, President Obama, Mitt Romney and hundreds of thousands of Americans in speaking out against the BSA's practice of unfairly kicking out gay scouts and scout leaders simply because of who they are. All of the great work that the BSA does to help young people will continue to be overshadowed by their blatant discrimination until they join other inclusive national organizations like the Girl Scouts of the USA and the 4-H Club. The time is now for the BSA to side with fairness, otherwise they will continue to see sponsors and scouting families drop their support."

Comments

1. what a young man he is..he's going Places.....!!! But of course...Q the "we're being Opppressed by the RightWing in 5...4..3..2..

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 21, 2012 6:59:19 PM

2. why doesnt the BSA just get thier funding from the LDS? They're back by them.....

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 21, 2012 7:00:18 PM

3. awesome.

Posted by: josh | Sep 21, 2012 7:08:09 PM

4. I was a skeptic of this outcome. Glad to be proven wrong. Go Zach.

Posted by: Ace | Sep 21, 2012 7:14:21 PM

5. I, for one, knew Intel would do the right thing. It was an easy decision for them.

That said, I'm sure the Mormons and Catholics will make sure the BSA gets ten times that amount in compensation next year.

Posted by: atomic | Sep 21, 2012 7:20:25 PM

6. Good for Intel! Defending their gay ban in court, the BSA declared itself a RELIGIOUS organization. Not educational, not teamwork, leadership, or citizenship- religious. A huge amount of their funding and much of their leadership comes from the Catholic and Mormon churches so let THEM pay all of it to keep their little homophobic hootenanny in business.

It's estimated that the Mormon church alone takes in at least 7 billion dollars a year in mandatory tithes. They can afford it. Heck, pay for it ALL then kick the Catholics and protestants (you know, actual Christians) out for all I care.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 21, 2012 7:42:44 PM

7. God Bless this young man for standing up for truth, justice and the American way, equal and Civil Rights and freedom for all. We need a million more like him.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 21, 2012 7:53:46 PM

8. Every single time there is a post here about Zach Wahls, the same bitter, middle-aged queens come out of the woodwork to say how great he is, how wonderful he is, and on and on. Sure, he's an admirable guy, but I just think that a lot of his "fans" here are more interested in banging him than listening to him expound upon his political philosophy. Sorry, guys, but Tank has to keep it real!

Posted by: TANK | Sep 21, 2012 7:57:52 PM

9. Yes. Thank you Intel. Integrity inside.

Posted by: von_gelmini | Sep 21, 2012 7:58:26 PM

10. I can now proudly say: I'm a PC!

Posted by: zeddy | Sep 21, 2012 8:28:33 PM

11. Tank: I'm young, not bitter, and not a queen, yet I want to bang him. Your argument is defeated!

Posted by: Jason 2 | Sep 21, 2012 9:17:08 PM

12. Long Live Intel. Now, I've one more reason to love my lappy. :)

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 21, 2012 9:21:07 PM

13. While I am glad the Intel has pulled its funding, the BSA has to be shut down as an institution, since it seems to be at least as corrupt as the Catholic Church - especially with the imminent release of information of sexual abuse cover-up, and not by gays since they aren't allowed in the BSA.

Posted by: cando64 | Sep 21, 2012 10:34:59 PM

14. His moms must be so proud.

Posted by: Patrick | Sep 21, 2012 11:57:37 PM

15. Good luck to the bigots who will probably want to boycott Intel now! Intel is EVERYWHERE in your life!

Posted by: Nat | Sep 22, 2012 2:04:04 AM

16. Boycott that one bitches! Intel is in everything! PCs, Macs, even phones now, not to mention set top boxes, servers, and internet hubs. Its software design and protocols are in even more stuff, pretty much anything with a chip in it.

Seems fitting that those boycotting such companys live in the dark ages socially, now they can technologically to!

Posted by: Rovex | Sep 22, 2012 4:36:45 AM

17. Well, this is one nerd that's now switching from the green team to the blue team.

Tank: He IS doing amazing work, and I'm 28, and wouldn't sleep with him if he stripped naked and threw himself on me. (ok, maybe if I was very drunk, but still, he's not hot)

Nat: Ever hear of AMD? I haven't bought an Intel product in the last 11 years, and I assure you that I'm not a Luddite.

Posted by: Matt in NYC | Sep 22, 2012 8:17:27 AM

18. Good for Intel! I hope every other corporation, foundation and individual openly reexamines their support of the BSA of it's history of policies which are bigoted, and not just bigoted against the LGBTIQ community. From it's own now very public records, it has covered up the alleged sexual assault of children and young adults by paid and volunteer staff. If I had given, I'd be asking for my money back. And it should be a violation of IRS regulations for any tax-exempt organization to cover-up this crime. All tax-exempt organizations (whether local and small, or national and large) not to immediately report all allegations to the responsible government agency, all the time, without exception. Yes, even if it turns out to be unfounded.

Posted by: JRSpenceM | Sep 22, 2012 8:21:29 AM

19. I'm sure that the BSA spin on convering up sex abuse will be that they weren't effective enough in rooting out LGBT people in the first place - after all nothing will convince them that we're not all pederasts anyway.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Sep 22, 2012 12:30:56 PM

20. Countdown until 'phobe organizations step in... I guess that's at least better than Intel sponsoring.

Posted by: Mike B. | Sep 22, 2012 1:27:33 PM

21. If Intel were to "rigorously" follow its own guidelines, they would cut funding for girl scouts as well since they discriminate based on sex. As do the boy scouts.

Posted by: Kevin S. | Mar 29, 2013 2:14:35 AM